Uplink Activity for Wed. March 01 2006

David_Levin said:
What satellite is Dish using at 129?
Does is have 32 functional transponders?

Either way, they are going to run out of space pretty quickly without spot beams.

They are using Echostar 5 there now, there are no spot beams. But E10 is in test at 138 right now, and it has 120 or so spot beams and it will be moving to 110 location. Then they will be able to move a alot of the cities from 129 to 110.

Right now they are filling up 129 with LIL HD until they get 110 working.

I believe Dish can only use 129 until the second half of 2008 when the Canadians are launching a satellite to that location (129 is a canadian slot).

mike123abc said:
They are using Echostar 5 there now, there are no spot beams. But E10 is in test at 138 right now, and it has 120 or so spot beams and it will be moving to 110 location. Then they will be able to move a alot of the cities from 129 to 110.

Right now they are filling up 129 with LIL HD until they get 110 working.

I believe Dish can only use 129 until the second half of 2008 when the Canadians are launching a satellite to that location (129 is a canadian slot).

dont forget there also moving superdish 105 lil to that bird too :)

I'm not sure what this means. Does it mean that the channels (6293-6299, Harrisburg PA specifically) that are added are going to be in HD soon? This would be great news.

Could some one clarify?

dead3ye said:
I'm not sure what this means. Does it mean that the channels (6293-6299, Harrisburg PA specifically) that are added are going to be in HD soon? This would be great news.

Could some one clarify?

No... if they were going hd they would be in the 6300+ range... I think those channels 6293-6299 are signifigantly viewed wich means that other markets that can pick them up with an ota antenna can get them. ;)

goaliebob99 said:
I think those channels 6293-6299 are signifigantly viewed wich means that other markets that can pick them up with an ota antenna can get them. ;)

I'm not sure what you are saying here. :confused:

Harrisburg is pretty remote (their DMA is a large area) as in I don't think that people in other DMA's could pick them up. Lancaster (WGAL) and York (WPMT) is about 30 miles on either side of Harrisburg. There is no way for me (and a good many in their DMA) to pick them up OTA.

I need to ask a quick question.......what is the maximum amount of rcvr's can you daisy chain together when using a dpp34 switch. my application is in a hotel with many rooms and rcvrs.

dead3ye said:

Harrisburg is pretty remote (their DMA is a large area) as in I don't think that people in other DMA's could pick them up. Lancaster (WGAL) and York (WPMT) is about 30 miles on either side of Harrisburg. There is no way for me (and a good many in their DMA) to pick them up OTA.

30 miles isnt that far... I live 43 miles from chicago's towers and have no problems picking up channels.. I know people 100+ miles getting sd and hd channels with no problems ;) It all depends on your antenna. I have gotten channels from green bay before (during Tropo though) and im pritty far south :)

Last edited:
rdinkel said:
No joy for Simon or me! We are not considered to be the the Denver DMA. We are in the Colorado Springs DMA. And for now, Dish will not let us have HD locals out of Denver (or anywhere else!!!) even with waivers.
:(

I am sorry to here this. It just do not understand what we would have to do to get locals. I guess BEV..

BlackHitachi said:
Ok where is Simple Simon AT??? The reason i ask he is kinda in the same boat with me can't get Locals Ota because of the sticks. Hope he is Enjoying HD!! LOCALS!
rdinkel said:
No joy for Simon or me! We are not considered to be the the Denver DMA. We are in the Colorado Springs DMA. And for now, Dish will not let us have HD locals out of Denver (or anywhere else!!!) even with waivers.
:(
Yup. :(

Looks like I'll be moving across the county line soon - or maybe just setting up a new HD-only account. :cool:

dead3ye said:

Could some one clarify?
Franklin County, PA was moved from the Washington DMA to the Harrisburg DMA about a year ago. Dish Network has put them into what they call the Washington/Harrisburg market that contains the following stations:
Washington, DC/Harrisburg, PA Local Channels

$5.99 per month
Station Local Channel Number Dish Channel Number
WASHINGTON DC NBC-WRC 4 8072
WASHINGTON, DC NBC-WRC HD * 4 6361
WASHINGTON DC FOX-WTTG 5 8073
WASHINGTON, DC FOX-WTTG HD * 5 6362
WASHINGTON DC ABC-WJLA 7 8070
WASHINGTON DC ABC-WJLA HD * 7 6359
HARRISBURG NBC-WGAL 8 6295
WASHINGTON DC CBS-WUSA 9 8071
WASHINGTON DC TELEF-WFDC * 14 8080
HARRISBURG UPN-WLYH 15 6297
WASHINGTON DC UPN-WDCA 20 8075
HARRISBURG CBS-WHP 21 6294
WASHINGTON DC PBS-WETA 26 8076
HARRISBURG ABC-WHTM 27 6293
WASHINGTON DC PBS-WHUT * 32 8081
HARRISBURG PBS-WITF 33 6298
HARRISBURG FOX-WPMT 43 6296
HARRISBURG IND-WGCB 49 6299
WASHINGTON DC WB-WBDC 50 8074
WASHINGTON DC IND-WNVT * 53 8084
WASHINGTON DC IND-WNVC * 56 8077
WASHINGTON DC IND-WJAL * 68 8085

Last edited:
mike123abc said:

I knew it was a Canadian slot but thought they had signed a long-term contract (like having to share the frequencies).

It seems nuts to be installing Dish 1000's if they only have it for 2 years.

At which point, Dish Network will have exclusive use of half the transponders (16 of 32).

dead3ye said:

WGAL's signal goes all over the place, if you're not blocked by local terrain. I live at the southern edge of Lycoming County, in the Scranton DMA, but in the old days the cable system used to carry Scranton plus Harrisburg plus WGAL (Harrisburg has no NBC station). WGAL even had a translator on the mountain south of Williamsport to cover the north side of the mountain!

There are still areas here on the southwestern edge of the Scranton DMA where the OTA signals from Harrisburg are a more realistic target because you have river to the south versus ridges to the east.

Jim S. said:
WGAL's signal goes all over the place, if you're not blocked by local terrain. I live at the southern edge of Lycoming County, in the Scranton DMA, but in the old days the cable system used to carry Scranton plus Harrisburg plus WGAL (Harrisburg has no NBC station). WGAL even had a translator on the mountain south of Williamsport to cover the north side of the mountain!

There are still areas here on the southwestern edge of the Scranton DMA where the OTA signals from Harrisburg are a more realistic target because you have river to the south versus ridges to the east.

Well, my problem is that I live almost smack dab in the middle of PA (think State College and go about 15 miles southeast). So I'm located at the Northwestern most point of the Harrisburg DMA. I can't pick up any OTA signals unless I invest in a huge outdoor antenna (tower), then the reception is spotty at best, and most of that is from Altoona and Johnstown. Wait a minute! Isn't that why I have Dish Network?

Bah, all this HD, DMA, who's allowed and who's not allowed to receive signal stuff is starting to make my head hurt. I think I'll just sell my HDTV and forget about it.
What I get now in HD isn't really worth it.

goaliebob99 said:
30 miles isnt that far... I live 43 miles from chicago's towers and have no problems picking up channels.. I know people 100+ miles getting sd and hd channels with no problems ;) It all depends on your antenna. I have gotten channels from green bay before (during Tropo though) and im pritty far south :)

Flatlander. ;) Such is not my case. :(

Derwin0 said:
Franklin County, PA was moved from the Washington DMA to the Harrisburg DMA about a year ago. Dish Network has put them into what they call the Washington/Harrisburg market that contains the following stations:
Washington, DC/Harrisburg, PA Local Channels

$5.99 per month
Station Local Channel Number Dish Channel Number
WASHINGTON DC NBC-WRC 4 8072
WASHINGTON, DC NBC-WRC HD * 4 6361
WASHINGTON DC FOX-WTTG 5 8073
WASHINGTON, DC FOX-WTTG HD * 5 6362
WASHINGTON DC ABC-WJLA 7 8070
WASHINGTON DC ABC-WJLA HD * 7 6359
HARRISBURG NBC-WGAL 8 6295
WASHINGTON DC CBS-WUSA 9 8071
WASHINGTON DC TELEF-WFDC * 14 8080
HARRISBURG UPN-WLYH 15 6297
WASHINGTON DC UPN-WDCA 20 8075
HARRISBURG CBS-WHP 21 6294
WASHINGTON DC PBS-WETA 26 8076
HARRISBURG ABC-WHTM 27 6293
WASHINGTON DC PBS-WHUT * 32 8081
HARRISBURG PBS-WITF 33 6298
HARRISBURG FOX-WPMT 43 6296
HARRISBURG IND-WGCB 49 6299
WASHINGTON DC WB-WBDC 50 8074
WASHINGTON DC IND-WNVT * 53 8084
WASHINGTON DC IND-WNVC * 56 8077
WASHINGTON DC IND-WJAL * 68 8085

So you're getting all these stations for $5.99?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)