Uplink Activity Report - 1/14/2009 1:02am - 418 changes

I think the Little Rock locals as well as others are on 77l. E* will install the 77 wing dish for $59 or for free with an extended commitment. You can also do it yourself if you have a spare 500 or 300 with a DP LNB hanging around. Otherwise it'd cost you at least $59 to buy the dish and LNB.

Forgive me if this has been answered, but what are the chances of the Springfield MO locals going up on the new 129 sat once it's parked in it's proper slot after testing? I can receive all of the locals OTA, but on windy days it's marginal. and it would be nice to have them via sat as a backup. Especially for our annual Stupor Bowl party.........:) I'd be willing to pay the $59 for the second dish, but then again I don't really want another device sprouting off my roof.

Forgive me if this has been answered, but what are the chances of the Springfield MO locals going up on the new 129 sat once it's parked in it's proper slot after testing? I can receive all of the locals OTA, but on windy days it's marginal. and it would be nice to have them via sat as a backup. Especially for our annual Stupor Bowl party.........:) I'd be willing to pay the $59 for the second dish, but then again I don't really want another device sprouting off my roof.

Springfield is not a large DMA so the chances of being on both arcs is probably not too high, although not impossible. There is virtually no chance by this Super Bowl of being on 129 in any case. They are on 77 on the EA. All you need is a wing dish for 77. Just add the winger for that location.

It seems to me that we've speculated for a long time that E*'s plan was to have BOTH eastern and western arc options for many DMA's. There are many good reasons to do this:
  • Many subs have a mixture of HD and SD recievers, and this gives them the option of keeping it that way, at least until E* goes all-MPEG4.
  • Many subs have line-of-sight issues for one arc or the other.
  • Many "eastern" subs were set up with 1000 or 1000.2 dishes before EA became available.
The big problem with having DMAs on both arcs is that it uses up twice the bandwidth.

Even after Ciel-2 and the new spot beam satellite for Eastern Arc that is scheduled to come online later this year, Dish (and DirecTV) will have much less bandwidth than it needs to provide all the HD locals for the markets that it currently provides in SD.

Not only is there a scale difference of several million between the cost of one new satellite versus one new dish installation, there is a long waiting list to get satellites bult and launched.

No one thinks that duplicating an entire array of satellites is a cost effective solution for line-of-sight issues (which generally work themselves out by customers opting for cable or FIOS).

It's certainly conceivable that Dish may use some space to temporarily duplicate some DMAs just to give time for customers to get new dishes installed and get MPEG4 receivers, but I expect that to last no more than about a year...

Yeah, I was going to ask about that too.

Due to complaints that were received when they combined the Sirius and XM music channels, they were supposed to be bringing back two channels. The Strobe and Backspin were both supposed to be returned to the Sirius & XM lineup on January 15. I didn't notice my Sirius receiver doing an update this morning on my way to work, so I don't know if it happened or not.

Sirius XM Radio Inc. - Disco and Old School Hip-Hop Channels Back by Popular Demand on SIRIUS XM Radio

Due to complaints that were received when they combined the Sirius and XM music channels, they were supposed to be bringing back two channels. The Strobe and Backspin were both supposed to be returned to the Sirius & XM lineup on January 15. I didn't notice my Sirius receiver doing an update this morning on my way to work, so I don't know if it happened or not.

Sirius XM Radio Inc. - Disco and Old School Hip-Hop Channels Back by Popular Demand on SIRIUS XM Radio
Right After xmas, the guide for the holiday music channels in the 75 range were saying something about those 2 channels, but those music channels in the 75's are gone now.

hope they do bring back backspin, i miss my old school hip hop!! :)

[/LIST]The big problem with having DMAs on both arcs is that it uses up twice the bandwidth.

Even after Ciel-2 and the new spot beam satellite for Eastern Arc that is scheduled to come online later this year, Dish (and DirecTV) will have much less bandwidth than it needs to provide all the HD locals for the markets that it currently provides in SD.

I am unaware of a new spotbeam satellite for the Eastern Arc to be launched later this year. Is this E-14 and what slot will it be located at? I know of the Nimiq 5 satellite going to 72.7 W but that is not a spotbeam satellite.

I am unaware of a new spotbeam satellite for the Eastern Arc to be launched later this year. Is this E-14 and what slot will it be located at? I know of the Nimiq 5 satellite going to 72.7 W but that is not a spotbeam satellite.

Probably thinking of the mexican bird at 77w... I remember hearing rumors of it having spotbeams.

This is a good sign. Where's Fungus?

Now if they would just bring back, oh, say, 10 to 20% of Fred's playlist so they can quadruple 1st Wave's playlist.

EDIT- Neither channel has returned to my XM SkyFi either.

So, when all these swapouts to MPEG-4 recievers happen, those that owned the MPEG-2 recievers will no longer own their recievers after the swap. Dish Network will want to lease the MPEG-4 recievers to them.

[/list]The big problem with having DMAs on both arcs is that it uses up twice the bandwidth.

Not only is there a scale difference of several million between the cost of one new satellite versus one new dish installation, there is a long waiting list to get satellites bult and launched.

No one thinks that duplicating an entire array of satellites is a cost effective solution for line-of-sight issues (which generally work themselves out by customers opting for cable or FIOS).

It's certainly conceivable that Dish may use some space to temporarily duplicate some DMAs just to give time for customers to get new dishes installed and get MPEG4 receivers, but I expect that to last no more than about a year...

I don't really disagree with anything you say here, except that I believe we will have this duplication on EA and WA for way more than a year. By the time E* goes 100% MPEG-4 and has spotbeam capacity in place for all HD LIL's, they'll probably be installing ONLY EA or WA for a given DMA, maybe excluding some of the larger ones. Or.......they may be doing something entirely different! At any rate, I didn't mean to give anyone the impression that I thought this was a permanant situation - only that it makes some sense right now.

Brad

Everytime we think we finally figure out what their plan is, they change it and its something different all over again. Remember SuperDish with the HD writing on the plastic shroud in which didn't materialize?