Uplink Activity Report - 10/15/2008 1:02pm - 84 changes

Just guessing, but maybe they want to use Rainbow-1 in all spotbeam mode in the future, so they're duplicating all the CONUS channels on one of the CONUS birds. Then when everyone has a Dish 1000.4, they'll take them off 61.5.

I'm not sure what you mean. Rainbow 1 spots are quickly filling. Only one TP (17) is left to be reused in spot mode. I don't think using all the spots on Rainbow 1 maxes out the power. In think it can still can power all the other CONUS TPs it offers. Plus, most are on 72.7 already.

On close inspection, the numbers look like Dish Latino numbers. Maybe latino will be EA as well.

I'm not sure what you mean. Rainbow 1 spots are quickly filling. Only one TP (17) is left to be reused in spot mode.
Huh? :confused: Rainbow 1 can go spot on all odd transponders from 1 to 23. While it is true that transponder 17 is the only one currently empty, the point by mdonnelly was that these currently-conus transponders could be moved elsewhere, thereby freeing up all remaining transponders capable of spots (17, 19, 21, and 23) for spots.

Huh? :confused: Rainbow 1 can go spot on all odd transponders from 1 to 23. While it is true that transponder 17 is the only one currently empty, the point by mdonnelly was that these currently-conus transponders could be moved elsewhere, thereby freeing up all remaining transponders capable of spots (17, 19, 21, and 23) for spots.

I though I remembered reading only 1-17 odd were usable for spots.

KTLA is the local CW network in Los Angeles and is also a superstation. While not available yet it is on ConUS. Maybe a good sign.

I'm hoping that both being on 129 will allow SS subs to get them. Otherwise time to drop it.

6310(5) - KTLA [MPEG4 HD] added to EchoStar5 129W TP 10 ConUS beam (NA)(Los Angeles, CA)
6334(2) - KWGN [MPEG4 HD] added to EchoStar5 129W TP 02 ConUS beam (NA)(Denver, CO)

S~

Well, so much for the Braves in HD. :(

8307(17) - WPCH [MPEG4 SD] added to Echostar12 61.5W TP 15 Area 7 beam (NA)(Atlanta, GA)
6369 - WPCH (NA) removed from Echostar12 61.5W TP 15 Area 7 beam(Atlanta, GA)
6369 - WPCH (NA) removed from EchoStar5 129W TP 04 ConUS beam(Atlanta, GA)

I'm hoping that both being on 129 will allow SS subs to get them. Otherwise time to drop it.

6310(5) - KTLA [MPEG4 HD] added to EchoStar5 129W TP 10 ConUS beam (NA)(Los Angeles, CA)
6334(2) - KWGN [MPEG4 HD] added to EchoStar5 129W TP 02 ConUS beam (NA)(Denver, CO)

S~

If they wanted superstation subs to get them, they should've put them on 110 or 119, not 129 (unless they intend to mirror them on 61.5).

I will state this again, Superstations will NEVER be available to subscribers nationwide in HD. I hope I am wrong, but I will stand by that prediction. Superstations will be dead nationally at the end of 2010 or perhaps as soon as Feb 2009.

See ya
Tony

I will state this again, Superstations will NEVER be available to subscribers nationwide in HD. I hope I am wrong, but I will stand by that prediction. Superstations will be dead nationally at the end of 2010 or perhaps as soon as Feb 2009.

See ya
Tony

Just curious, as I've not heard that before. Why that prediction, Tony? Thanks.

The law that exempts the 5 remaining super stations from their syndicated exclusivity and other copyright laws that would otherwise make it impossible for super stations to exist is set to expire in 2010. There is good reason to believe that Congress will not renew this section of the law that allows Super Stations to exist against the will of the programmers and station owners. (nothing is preventing these stations from setting up national channels like WGN and the former WTBS did).

The Feb 2009 part of my comment is an argument that probably has no teeth, but the wording in the same law allowing super stations specifically names -TV stations. Digital channels are -DT stations (at least for now). When stations go 100% digital, the literal authorization (but perhaps not expressed authorization) goes away.

The other part of the equation is the willingness of Dish to continue carrying these channels. The subscription levels have to be high enough to make it profitable to use a good portion of a national transponder for the 5 channels. Remember that Super Stations fees are not cheap compared to other national channels that would have a wider appeal. This is a fee above and beyond any retransmission consent fees for local carriage.

Keep in mind that the HD locals available on national transponders now is temporary! 129° will have spot beams. The HD locals at 118° will be moving eventually. All HD locals will be on spot beams. KTLA HD and KWGN HD are on national beams now only because that is where the rest of the city's locals are. They will move to spot beams with the rest of the locals when that happens.

I know the death of the super stations has been predicted since 1984 (the last major cable act that ended the creation of new super stations). But this time, I think it's for real. HD super stations will not happen unless Congress reauthorizes a less vague clause and for a long enough period of time to make it worth the satellite company's while. That is not likely to happen. And with Digital must carry being phased in, most people will not see the need to get more channels with mostly the same programming.

See ya
Tony

Thanks the details on your perspective, Tony, I appreciate you taking the time.

To be honest, lately, I've been seriously considering dropping the Superstations to save some money. However, with relatives in southern CA, it's nice having KTLA to keep tabs on events there when there are fires (as is presently the case) or earthquakes. However, email and the internet can (and has) pretty much eliminated the need for news directly from southern CA on tv to keep up on some events.

So, back to pondering dropping the Superstations package...

The need for the superstations is no more. Originally they were just DNS feeds for areas that didn't have a lot of channels to put on cable systems. Kill them and the SD distant network feeds. Add 6 HD Distant networks: ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, CW and MNTV. Get everyone that subscribers to them an MPEG4 DVR (MPEG4 so as to only have to carry them in HD, DVR so west coasters can live with just one set from the east). 6 HDs would even fit on the one TP AAD leases. And the MPEG4 transition has to start somewhere, might as well start with DNS subscribers.

Super Stations and DNS are totally different things governed under completely different laws. You are correct that super stations came about to fill out cable systems channels, but not for network programming. It was usually for sports, specifically baseball. All the "super stations" were independent TV channels. This is before Fox and Waaaaaaayyyy before WB/UPN/CW/MyTV, etc. This is from the era when you were lucky if you lived in a market with 3 networks, PBS and an independent TV station! Who could watch so much TV. 5 channels! That's too much for anyone! :)
WGN Cubs (no longer a super station)
WWOR Mets
WPIX Yanks
KTLA Dodgers
WSBK Red Sox
KWGN (late entry for sports) Rockeys
WTBS Braves (No longer a super station)

See ya
Tony

I didn't say they were the same. However, as you say superstations started under a similar concept as DNS is today, to get channels to areas who could not receive similar content.

If you want sports, go to DirecTV. Use the space for better choices. Let DNS serve areas that need a CW or a MNTV.

It wasn't just sports either for those stations at the time, although it was a major draw. They also tended to have first run programming that the stations had developed on their own 20 years ago. Wrestling on WTBS was a prime example of this (although 20 years ago one could have said it was a sport in itself and not entertainment as it is today, but that is a different argument for a different day).

However today, these stations that were grandfathered superstations tend to be independents, CW or MNTV affiliates and they rehash syndicated programming. The only stuff that is really exclusive to these stations are news programming and local sports/PI. Not really anything that makes them 'super' anymore.