Uplink Activity Report - 12/13/2006 - 11 changes

I see no "compelling" reason to DVR poker, PTI, lumberjack, or other SD content. I have HD because I want to watch HD. If I'm going to DVR something, it'll be in HD.

What is you lose signal on the HD and could still get the SD. Re-mapping this sort of stuff is a bad bad idea!!! :) Take 129 for example which can be flaky for some and weaker than 119 etc. Sigh just give us more hd instead of fiddling with existing HD!!!

-B

For me I hope its an option you can turn off.

For example I like to watch Poker on ESPN2, and when I watch it I watch it on the SD channel, because I hate the "HD" sidebars ESPN puts up since the show is not in HD.

I agree 100%. I don't like their sidebars, and especially if I'm recording something that's not in HD, I will record it on the SD channel. Poker is the perfect example, when new episodes are on Tuesday's, I'll record the SD version to not waste the space.

I'm not happy with this, unless it is OPTIONAL. Until everything is broadcast in HD on these channels (fat chance anytime soon on ESPN/ESPN2), I want an SD version.

So.. with this, I'll be forced to use an assload more hard drive space for SD content, and STILL cannot hook up external storage. Thanks guys!

While it doesn't bother me as much as some people, I wish they would have just remapped it in the same range, put ESPN-HD and ESPN2HD in the 140s, put HBO-HD in the 400's

Are they doing the same thing to Starz and Showtime?

Actually if they replace ESPN SD, ESPN2 SD, and HBO SD with their HD counterpart, wouldn't this free up 3 spots on the Satellite to provide MORE HD Channels?

No, this is not replacing the channels it is just mapping them differently. Just like locals are now.

14177 - KCWE1 removed from EchoStar10 110W TP 18 Spotbeam 24 from Monee
14178 - KCPT1 removed from EchoStar10 110W TP 18 Spotbeam 24 from Monee

Does this mean my Local WE and PBS will be missing their EPG again?

Called into Dish to get my upgrade to Dish 1000+ to get my Pittsburgh HD Locals and I got my dish for no cost.

When I record a SD show being broadcast on an HD channel, the DVR does not take up the full HD space. The DVR is smart enough to know that it is not accepting a true HD signal and it doesn't take up the space it normally would.

For instance, my wife records General Hospital every day on the HD local channel, but it doesn't take up a full hour of HD recording time on the DVR. I would be "livid" if her soaps took up that much of our DVR.

Surely it will be optional, and surely everyone's SD recording problems will be just paranoia. The SD recording problem isn't even a problem as stated above. Remapping is just a form of convenience for HD set owners that aren't quite up to speed on where the HD channels are.

When I record a SD show being broadcast on an HD channel, the DVR does not take up the full HD space. The DVR is smart enough to know that it is not accepting a true HD signal and it doesn't take up the space it normally would.
The DVR just records the stream, while a show may be SD, it is still being broadcast in 1080i or 720p. They dont turn the quality down when there is no HD running.

When recording a SD program off a HD transponder, the recording takes as much room as if you recorded it in full HD, secause it is still a HD signal.

Very good point. When my local digital station is broadcasting a program that I want to record and it happens to be SD, I always record the SD mapped local in the 8000's range so as to not waste HD capacity on a SD program. DVR users should be given the opportunity to do the same if they want to DVD a SD version of the program whether or not that program is HD or not on HBO HD.

I do the same thing with Around the Horn and Pardon the Interruption on ESPN every night.

I don't want to record the HD version and eat up the disk space on my 622 especially if I'm not home for a couple of days to view and delete the recordings.

The DVR just records the stream, while a show may be SD, it is still being broadcast in 1080i or 720p. They dont turn the quality down when there is no HD running.
True, but that SD broadcast inside a 16:9 frame isn't coming down at 10-19Mb/s either. I suspect the bandwidth is a bigger factor than resolution when it comes to file size.

True but not as small if it was a regular SD recording from a SD Channel.
And therefore, the intelligence should be put in the uplink center.
If the program is SD, why waste transponder bandwidth broadcasting it in 1080i ?
Not only do you save the transponder bandwidth, you also save every customer's DVR space.
mdonnelly said:
I have HD because I want to watch HD. If I'm going to DVR something, it'll be in HD.
That's exactly why I don't have HD yet. I don't want to "watch HD".
I choose viewing solely by the content.
If I can receive the program in better PQ, all the better, but - to use your example - I'm not going to watch the lumberjack competition soley because it is in HD...

And therefore, the intelligence should be put in the uplink center.
If the program is SD, why waste transponder bandwidth broadcasting it in 1080i ?
Not only do you save the transponder bandwidth, you also save every customer's DVR space.

That's exactly why I don't have HD yet. I don't want to "watch HD".
I choose viewing solely by the content.
If I can receive the program in better PQ, all the better, but - to use your example - I'm not going to watch the lumberjack competition soley because it is in HD...

I don't watch HD to watch HD either.... but I don't watch SD either so. I'd say only about 15% of my viewing is SD material. Far and few between.... For the local networks my rule is if they didn't produce the show in HD then apparently the show isn't worth it to them.

Last Beaumont, TX network available today.

Not mentioned in the up link report, but KBMT ABC channel 12 in Beaumont, TX. was made available today.
This completes the four major networks for our area.
CBS, NBC, FOX and now ABC.
CW still over the air only.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts