UPlink Report July 19th,2017 UP HD is in TEST right now

I like some of the shows that play on UP, but I hate how they edit shows to death like The Parkers and Everybody Hates Chris.

I would like to see other HD channels like Oxygen (since it seems they may be turning into an ID: Investigation Discovery-like channel), Encore Suspense, or/and Boomerang.

Reactions: satjay and pattykay
I like some of the shows that play on UP, but I hate how they edit shows to death like The Parkers and Everybody Hates Chris.

I would like to see other HD channels like Oxygen (since it seems they may be turning into an ID: Investigation Discovery-like channel), Encore Suspense, or/and Boomerang.

I have the opposite opinion. Now days many shows feel that they need to add profanity. I appreciate that UP edits the profanity out from their shows. It truly is family friendly. I am eagerly waiting for the high def signal.

I have the opposite opinion. Now days many shows feel that they need to add profanity. I appreciate that UP edits the profanity out from their shows. It truly is family friendly. I am eagerly waiting for the high def signal.
For me, it all depends on how they do the editing. I would rather hear a beep, instead of having it go silent for a word or two and think that I am having audio drop-out issues. Replacing the profanity with alternate words to fill in the gap can also be annoying, such as when someone is clearly shouting "Jesus Christ!" but it gets changed to "Cheese and Rice!" I haven't really payed attention to the programming on UP, so I don't know which of those methods they use.

Reactions: DWS44
I have never understood the use of alternate words. If you say 'cheese and crackers got all muddy' the intent is still there. If one doesn't want to take the lords name in vain they can always go back to gosh and gee, and golly.....

Although I can see both sides of the discussion, I lean in the direction of the artist. I feel that it's up to me to decide what I want to see, not censorship from someone else.

Therefore, if the shows are created with the profanity, then that's what the creators and actors chose. It's up to me to decide what I want to accept, not the network.

Although I can see both sides of the discussion, I lean in the direction of the artist. I feel that it's up to me to decide what I want to see, not censorship from someone else.

Therefore, if the shows are created with the profanity, then that's what the creators and actors chose. It's up to me to decide what I want to accept, not the network.
But you sold your work..

I would say more like leased. Now, they obviously agreed that the network could edit their work in the "lease". However, I still just don't like it, in my opinion. I'd rather they not gain rights to a program that was suited for broadcast television, if they objected to some of its content.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I watched a stand up comedy program on Logo a few days ago and every F word was beeped. The program was not enjoyable to watch. I wish these channels would not run these programs at all. Let HBO/Showtime, etc run them where nothing is beeped. Is there a law where the satellite services have to beep the words, or is it their choice? I know there are rules for OTA, but satellite/cable? Logo used to be a much better channel years ago. But they joined with Viacom (I believe) and it is nothing like it used to be. There is a place for "Family Friendly" TV, and those services should be clean. I have no issue there. But knock off all of the beeps, or do not run the program at all.

Is there a law where the satellite services have to beep the words, or is it their choice? I know there are rules for OTA, but satellite/cable?

No federal laws, but within the industry there are channels that are generally defined as (expanded) basic cable friendly, vs premium digital tiers or/or premium channel friendly. And generally cable channels that position themselves for expanded basic carriage, is understand that they don't have (bad) cursing, (think George Carlin's 7 dirty words) nudity, etc. - otherwise TV providers are loath to put them on basic tiers, that pretty much ALL customers - & their children - have access to. That's why there's so much bleeping on channels like Bravo; they have a delay on Watch What Happens Live, for this very reason. It's also why channels like AMC show edited version of movies...so they can be on lower basic tier w/out the providers hearing customers complain of the "adult content".

Logo used to be a much better channel years ago. But they joined with Viacom (I believe) and it is nothing like it used to be.
It was always part of Viacom; it's just that when they started it, they could NOT get operators to put it on lower basic tiers. (it actually replaced the VH1 Megahits channel; here's some history about it)
Gay Net to Bump VH1 Spinoff | TVWeek

They then started "cleaning up" certain programing, to entice more operators to move it down from higher tiers, so that in the end, they had more potential viewers.
Considering the majority of their shows are all reruns (they only have 2 original series left) & considering how Viacom IS cutting back on their multitudes of channels, it's probably not going to exist at all before too long... ;)

Reactions: joewhite57
No federal laws, but within the industry there are channels that are generally defined as (expanded) basic cable friendly, vs premium digital tiers or/or premium channel friendly. And generally cable channels that position themselves for expanded basic carriage, is understand that they don't have (bad) cursing, (think George Carlin's 7 dirty words) nudity, etc. - otherwise TV providers are loath to put them on basic tiers, that pretty much ALL customers - & their children - have access to. That's why there's so much bleeping on channels like Bravo; they have a delay on Watch What Happens Live, for this very reason. It's also why channels like AMC show edited version of movies...so they can be on lower basic tier w/out the providers hearing customers complain of the "adult content".

That's the way it used to be. We're now down to just one word - the "F" word - on many of these channels. A couple of years ago, at the beginning of the 2015 fall TV season if I remember correctly, the "S" word was suddenly acceptable on pretty much every scripted show on channels like AMC, USA and SyFy. Almost as if they all got together one day and said "now's the time." The only question left is when they will "liberate" the "F" word.

We have some smart people who post here. (not being sarcastic) Maybe if DISH shared with us why some other channels like TVLand or Oxygen (now that is has changed format and has some good shows) aren't in HD we could help them achieve that. ;)

Reactions: pattykay
We have some smart people who post here. (not being sarcastic) Maybe if DISH shared with us why some other channels like TVLand or Oxygen (now that is has changed format and has some good shows) aren't in HD we could help them achieve that. ;)
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

That's the way it used to be. We're now down to just one word - the "F" word - on many of these channels. A couple of years ago, at the beginning of the 2015 fall TV season if I remember correctly, the "S" word was suddenly acceptable on pretty much every scripted show on channels like AMC, USA and SyFy. Almost as if they all got together one day and said "now's the time." The only question left is when they will "liberate" the "F" word.
We watch a lot of English BBC shows on Netflix. They don't pull any punches on either language, F word included, or nudity. Europe, in general has no issue with these things. The US is catching up with the rest of the world much to the chagrin of the moral majority who are neither.... ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts