UPN and WB merging, how will this affect Equity stations?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

anik

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 28, 2004
U.S.A.
I just heard an item come across the TV in another room that said that UPN and the WB will be merging to form a single network in the fall. I wonder how this will affect the channel lineup on the Equity stations, in markets where there is currently both a UPN and a WB station? Might make things a little different on G10R come this fall!

Well lets see

WBIF (UPN Florida)-no WB in market
KTVC (UPN Roseburg, OR)-no WB in market
KQUP-Already not affiliated with UPN..WB in market gets new station…KQUP probably stays with RTN
WGMU (UPN Vermont)-WFFF (Fox affiliate) shows some WB programming
KFDF (UPN Ft Smith)-Equity owns WB KWFT in market too
KWWF (Waterloo, IA)-Full powered WB in market

KWBF (WB Little Rock)-There is a Full power UPN in market (not owned by Equity)
KWBM (WB Springfield, MO)-VERY low powered UPN in market

So the odds look good that they will get the new network in most markets : )

Last edited:
Iceberg said:
no WB & UPN are merging....CBS is part owner
Ah, my bad. I was confused because it was announced by CBS. Until I can find a bird that has these stations it won't bother me ;)

Good question as to whether they'll still be FTA, especially with regard to the WB feeds on G11. However, since some smaller and even medium-sized markets still don't have either UPN or WB full power stations, they might be shooting themselves in the foot if they pull any of those feeds - it's not as though they can really afford to lose any viewers.

Interesting. Metro New Orleans has a UPN (WUPL) and a WB (WNOL, which can be seen on 74w last time I checked). I hope we don't lose either station...

I think the stations that don't go with the new "CW" network will likely go to independant programming. For Equity, I assume this will mean more of RTN, or maybe even other under-represented networks in the market (come on, someone out there is short an NBC or CBS affil, right?).

Keep in mind, for former UPN affiliates, this only means about 2 hours of programming a day for 5 or 6 days a week. Filling those times probably won't be that difficult.

Iceberg said:
Well lets see
WBIF (UPN Florida)-no WB in market
KTVC (UPN Roseburg, OR)-no WB in market
KQUP-Already not affiliated with UPN..WB in market gets new station…KQUP probably stays with RTN
WGMU (UPN Vermont)-WFFF (Fox affiliate) shows some WB programming
KFDF (UPN Ft Smith)-Equity owns WB KWFT in market too

KWBF (WB Little Rock)-There is a Full power UPN in market (not owned by Equity)
KWBM (WB Springfield, MO)-VERY low powered UPN in market

So the odds look good that they will get the new network in most markets : )

Found out that WFFF (Burlington, VT) isn't going to carry the new CW (they have WB shows late at night) so maybe WGMU picks it up :)

I could see alot of the above stations getting the new CW Network.

its funny, i dont live far from the transmitter of wmgu, about 12 miles, but cant watch it OTA (mountain in the way) so the only way i can watch it is via FTA.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts