UPN & WB merging- does this effect the Super Station package

ScottChez

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 2, 2003
The press release said both the WPIX UPN in NY and the KTLA UPN in LA would switch to the new CW network national network.

Does this mean we will loose these stations as they will then become national networks like FOX (they will have more than enough prime time hours to qualify).

Will we be grand fathered if we have them now?

I know there are other threads on this topic in the general sat forum, this thread is about the Dish Super Station package.

ScottChez said:
The press release said both the WPIX UPN in NY and the KTLA UPN in LA would switch to the new CW network national network.

Does this mean we will loose these stations as they will then become national networks like FOX (they will have more than enough prime time hours to qualify).

Will we be grand fathered if we have them now?

I know there are other threads on this topic in the general sat forum, this thread is about the Dish Super Station package.

Excellent question.

Can't see WGN wanting to give up its 9PM newcast for another hour of network programming. Most of the WB stations in major markets have a newscast in this time. Since neither the WB nor UPN have 9PM (Central) Programming I think becomes one of the big question this new netwok will have to look at.

I think in SHVERA they do qualify at networks.

I dont think anything will happen to the Supers until the digital cutover

Iceberg said:
I think in SHVERA they do qualify at networks.
I dont think anything will happen to the Supers until the digital cutover

I don't see any of the superstations jpoininganother network. There are already afiliates of the other 4 in all those cities. As for the difital cutover I am not convinced that will affect the superstations. As I have mentioned before the FCC asks carriers to file reports on the number viewers of analog and digital signmals of the superstations. I don't see why they would do this if the digital versiosn did not count.

We will just have to wait and see.

A station in my locals package already shows both WB and UPN programming but advertises themselves as WB. UPN is part of CBS and WB is part of Warner Brothers.

This new channel is going to target young viewers. If all of the current WB and UPN stations would merge into the CW network then this would mean that the ratings would automatically double right? Or at least it would have the potential of doubling therefore each network could get twice as much in advertising revenue and still have near the same number of stations that they have now.

What could this mean to you and me? If the ratings go up this means that they will demand more money. Superstations could go up to $10.00 or so if they would even become available seeing that it may be another big network like NBC, ABC, CBS, or FOX. It would be the fifth biggest at that point and would try to compete with ratings with the other four.

Which shows would stay? Which shows will go? Something has to give and half of the shows we see today may be going byebye. I hope some of my favorite shows do not go off the air or I will be very upset. Most of my favorite shows are on WB.

The CW Network debuts this fall. The C stands for CBS and the W stands for WB. Personally I think they could have chosen a better name. They couldnt name it WC for obvious reasons. WB and UPN will go off air. Smack Down wrestling is likely to stay along with Gilmore Girls, Smallville, Everybody Hates Chris, and America's Next Top Model. The question is which other ones will stay and which other ones will go?

Stargazer said:
If all of the current WB and UPN stations would merge into the CW network then this would mean that the ratings would automatically double right?

A lot of sub-100 markets don't have WB networks, except for Cable-Only, so I would think that CW would gain a lot more. For instance, Veronica Mars is the only UPN show that I like (I haven't seen EHC yet), so I will be watching CW stations a LOT more than I did UPN. I'm sure a lot of people will feel the same.

Stargazer said:
Smack Down wrestling is likely to stay along with Gilmore Girls, Smallville, Everybody Hates Chris, and America's Next Top Model. The question is which other ones will stay and which other ones will go?

7th Heaven was already announced as being cancelled.
Charmed hasn't been doing well in the ratings, and is probably gone.
Probably the same for What I Like About You.

Supernatural was mentioned as being part of the new network, as well as Veronica Mars and Reba.

Other than that, we'll have to wait and see.

~Alan

I don't think superstations will be affected. The stations themselves will still exist as "superstations" their network affiliation will just switch or not exist at all

All of the supers were affilaites of one or the other. Here is what we know so far.

The 16 Tribune affiliated stations will include New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Boston, Dallas, Washington, D.C., Houston, Miami, Denver, St. Louis, Portland, Indianapolis, San Diego, Hartford, New Orleans and Albany. The 12 CBS Station Group television markets will include Philadelphia, San Francisco, Atlanta, Detroit, Tampa, Seattle, Sacramento, Pittsburgh, West Palm Beach, Norfolk, Oklahoma City and Providence. Together, these top two station groups cover the top 13 television markets, 20 of the top 25 television markets and have a total coverage area of more than 48% of the country.

So for the supers it looks like the two UPN stations will be looking for a new affilaition of some kind---or will perhaps go back to being true independent stations.

But how will Fox react? They ownseveral of the curremt UPN affiliates.

Well, if the superstaions all become CW, I don't see a need to have all 5 except for time shifting. I wonder if they will change how many you can have. I would only want 1 CW station and only if it continues to carry the shows that I or my wife watches.

Last edited:
Take a look at the press release. It makes it clea that 3 supers will be part of CW and two will not.

Sparkman said:
Can't see WGN wanting to give up its 9PM newcast for another hour of network programming. Most of the WB stations in major markets have a newscast in this time. Since neither the WB nor UPN have 9PM (Central) Programming I think becomes one of the big question this new netwok will have to look at.
It looks like they are going to keep The WB's programming schedule according to a Yahoo! Finance article:
"The CW will incorporate The WB's current scheduling model, which consists of a 6 night-13 hour primetime lineup including Monday through Friday nights from 8-10 (EST/PST); Sundays from 7-10 (EST/PST); Sunday from 5-7 (EST/PST) outside of primetime as well as a Monday thru Friday afternoon block from 3-5 (EST/PST) and a 5-hour Saturday morning animation block. Together, the network will program 30 hours a week over seven days for its affiliated stations."

I hope that Reba, Everwood and One Tree Hill stays. I wish 7th Heaven was not going off the air but that is already a done deal.

That is VERY good news that they are going to keep the WB's programming schedule. Before hearing that I could only see it impacting my viewership negatively since I did not watch hardly any UPN content. It looks like some of the WB shows that are going to get canned will be replaced with UPN's best rated shows.

I have the new logo that they are going to use attached.

Attachments

• the CW Television Network.bmp
    61.2 KB · Views: 175
By schedule they mean the times at which they broadcast. The programming will be some of each.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts