Upside down homade dish mount

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
I know one local member here who works in the plumbing biz, I have a funny feeling he is cutting PVC pipe as we speak : )

OK, I like this as well, but have to ask, what its performance is in the snow/rain fade department? This positioning would seem to be far more susceptible.

Depends on how much snow and what type of snow (fluffy snow, heavy wet snow, mixture). I did a test this winter with my upside down dish (61.5) and 3” of snow (mix between fluffy & wet).
Signals without snow-all around 90 (this is on the 5000 which only maxes at 100)
Signals with snow…..most were around 45 with some being 0

I thought I had a topic on this….maybe not : )

no not that

When we got our last snowfall (when the northern metro got nothing and southern metro got 6-8"...you know the day it took you like 3 hours to get home) I did some testing...I know I wrote it up at the time...maybe I didnt post it (I had pictures and everything)

I knew I'd find it at home :)

Here is the post....now please note this was done in March so the dates may be off :D

A while back I had a post where I had 2 dishes on one mast, one of which was upside down. Someone asked what would happen if snow got on it. Well, I have an answer for you.

Friday we got about 8 inches of snow. When I came home, I saw about 3 inches of snow on the upside down dish. It wasn’t heavy wet snow and it wasn’t dry fluffy snow. It was a typical Minnesota snowfall (in between). So I decided to do some testing of signal strengths with and without snow. Here is what I found

Below are 3 pictures....first one is the dish with the snow. Second shows how much was on there (almost 3 inches) and the third is no snow on it. Now it was still snowing lightly when this was done, but the numbers I got with no snow are real close (off by one or two points) to what I normally got. Now keep in mind, I am using an old Dish 5000 receiver for testing and even though the scale goes to 125, even spotbeams max at 100. So 100 is the max.

Below are the signal numbers I received with an 18" dish and 3 inches of snow on it (aimed at 61.5)

TP signal
2 0
4 0
6 59
8 67
10 38
12 66
14 56
16 49
18 57
20 56
22 57
25 61
26 39
27 52
28 0
29 41
30 48
31 50
32 52

not the best numbers....so now I wiped off the dish and retested. Boy did the numbers change

TP signal
2 0
4 0
6 89
8 94
10 77
12 94
14 88
16 84
18 87
20 95
22 88
25 90
26 76
27 84
28 0
29 75
30 81
31 82
32 86

So yes snow on the dish does make a difference. But you have to remember, your dish is mostly vertical whereas the upside down dish is pretty close to horizontal. All and all it was a fun project and only took 10 minutes (and a dry pair of socks).

Last edited:
Nice work Iceberg, we should not have to worry about snow for some time now............wait a minute we are in MN. what am I saying : )

This is great data, thanks for running this experiment!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)