US Blu-Ray Titles On HD DVD overseas

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

FreddyvsJasonvsAsh

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 20, 2004
Lakeland, FL
I thought I'd let some of you US HD DVD fans know that some of the titles that are Blu Ray here in the States are on HD DVD elsewhere. Here is a list that I've found so far......

First Blood
Rambo: First Blood 2
Rambo 3
xXx
Terminator 2: Judgement Day
The Prestiege
Reign of Fire
Underworld: Evolution
Running Scared

If you know of any more please feel free to add them

I just found some more titles...so I updated the list

1. Enemy At The Gates
2. Basic Instinct
3. Brotherhood of The Wolf
4. Brother's Grimm
5. Equilibrium
6. The Fog (1976)
7. Fragile
8. The Gift
9. The Graduate
10. Killing Me Softly
11. King Kong (1976)
12. The Machinist (Paramount hasn't released this in the US yet)
13. Mulholland Drive
14. Serpico
15. Total Recall
16. First Blood
17. Rambo: First Blood 2
18. Rambo 3
19. xXx
20. Terminator 2: Judgement Day
21. The Prestiege
22. Reign of Fire
23. Underworld: Evolution
24. Running Scared
25. The Holiday

25 titles that are either on Blu-Ray or not out on HD DVD yet in the US. Most of these titles can be found on Movietyme.com among other sites. This could help put the nail in the coffin against Blu-Ray

So these are US bluray titles that are on HD-DVD overseas? How is that

Different companies own distribution rights outside the U.S.

For example, for those Rambo films, Lionsgate owns the distribution rights in the U.S., and released them on Blu-ray. In France, Studio Canal owns the distribution rights, and they chose to release it on HD DVD.

You can buy these European titles on Amazon European sites:

U.K. - amazon.co.uk
France - amazon.fr
Germany - amazon.de

You login with your Amazon U.S. account info and it brings up your payment & shipping info. Don't be frightened by the first look of the price - in Europe the "sales tax" (V.A.T.) is included in the price. When you get to the checkout process it removes the VAT when it sees it's being shipped out of the E.U.

Have your Amazon U.S. account up in a separate tab/window to follow along if German or French looks like Greek to you - the info & icons are the same, just a differenet language.

Or, a little more expensive but less hassle for some, most of these imports are available at the U.S. reseller xploitedcinema.com.

Yep, it all depends on who owns distribution rights there.
If I remember correctly, the very first HD DVD (released in Japan) was "Resident Evil" from Sony Pictures!!! :D
Toshiba just happened to have distribution right for that movie in Japan...

I think in the long run HD DVD will win because most of your average joes will see it's called HD DVD and they own an HDTV. So by name it will be better for people to under stand. It's HD DVD and HDTV not Blu-Ray TV, so in time these titles will be out in the US

Different companies own distribution rights outside the U.S.

For example, for those Rambo films, Lionsgate owns the distribution rights in the U.S., and released them on Blu-ray. In France, Studio Canal owns the distribution rights, and they chose to release it on HD DVD.

And in Australia it was Universal who put Rambo out.

Yep, it all depends on who owns distribution rights there.
If I remember correctly, the very first HD DVD (released in Japan) was "Resident Evil" from Sony Pictures!!! :D
Toshiba just happened to have distribution right for that movie in Japan...

Where can we buy Resident Evil on HD DVD? I can find it on the net.

Brotherhood of the Wolf - Excellent!

Not a blu-ray release available in HD DVD, but in fact a release available anywhere in the world only on HD DVD is a French Movie "The Brotherhood of the Wolf" (LE PACTE DES LOUPS).

botw.jpg

I just got my copy yesterday from Exploited Cinema. It's available from France from Studio Canal, and also the U.K. version I went with from Studio Canal/Optimum Releasing. Both versions are identical - French language DTS HD-MA, with English sub titles.

All I can say is - Wow! One of the best PQ I've seen on either format. And either the sound design of the DTS audio was brilliant or my new Onkyo 605 receiver a huge improvement, as it is one of the most engrossing surround audio I've experienced.

If this catches on, I can smell a lawsuit coming from the Blu-ray Association. Distribution is supposed to be limited to the areas granted, and re-importation to the U.S. is not allowed, and is possibly illegal (like prescription drugs). Exploitedcinema is just hanging out there as a target.

Then we'll sue all the Blu-ray studios if they don't release their titles on HDDVD here in the US.

It the American thing everyone sues everyone else. :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)