US Free to Air Satellite Viewers

Status
Please reply by conversation.

WillyV

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 21, 2013
Mid Atlantic
I'm very new to FTASat TV and was curious to know if there are any statistics on the number of Americans who engage in this type of viewing. Thanks

Don't think there's any form of 'official' stats on the number. Probably numbers as a small percentage of the total population-IMHO. Niche for sure. But many(The Best ??) are here and their 'handle' shows up on the bottom of this page: www.satelliteguys.us/free-air-fta-discussion/ Don't know if the forum software could make a count of the members, and maybe non members by IP*, that have hit on the FTA discussion.(over the last month or year??)
*not sayin that the IP's should be divulged, but would id, and count, the 'hit' as an individual.

It's a carefully guarded secret. So secret that nobody knows. The nature of this activity is believed to be self destructive, that is, if everybody did it, it would vanish. One thing we know; it's not for everyone. Ask any wife about their crazy husband's obsessions with satellite dishes. ;) FTA is more of a hobby than a viable way to receive your television needs. For some "cord cutters" like me, it's just fine. I don't miss the TV bill at all, but I really like the hobby and chasing football feeds.

There’s also an extremely tiny, infinitesimally small percentage of women into this hobby as well.. :cheer2:

Hello All and Thanks for the replies.... I'm long past my football fanatacism however can you enlighten me on your reference to "football feeds"? To find them, would I need to look all over the "southern sky"? Any interesting stuff on 97W since that'll more than likely be my first objective. Once again I appreciate all responces.

Mostly College Ball, My local team is good enough to have all their games televised. Actually too good. Some broadcasters now scramble my teams games. There are a few different network feeds around so you can sometimes find the out of area NFL game. There are different ways to find a game feed. When you get more familiar with FTA you figure how and where to find the feeds you want to see. Scanning the whole sky can take longer than the game. So you have to be more insightful on where to find it.

I thought all NFL games were scrambled by "the networks." Are you saying some aren't? If so, why wouldn't they scramble? Just curious... Thanks

10,000? 20,000? A gazillion? A whole bunch?

It is still popular in Europe.

If so, why wouldn't they scramble?
Last minute, unforeseen, 'problems'. A 'switch' inadvertently not 'thrown'. The 'booked' truck (with encryption) blew a tire or something and last minute isn't available. Any of these, and many more, may be the reasons. Part of the hobby - finding them.
Many of the major stadiums or now 'fibered' so the chances have gotten much slimmer.

Sorry to burst your narcissistical bubble. "They" don't care. There are bigger fish to fry.

Yeah, the number of people that even have the stuff to pick these feeds up is so tiny that I don’t think they care too much anymore.
Except Tribune. They, are a-holes..

But as far as talking about found feeds, yeah, the Shhhhhhhhhhush!!!! rule always applies irregardless..

Actually, being the curious cat, the number of "us" has also been an interest of mine. It must be low. In the past I drove about 15 to 16 thousand miles a year and have NEVER discovered a farm anywhere. I actually only know the exact location of one and that one is 90 miles from me. Being retired and poor, I don't drive anywhere near that amount now days.

Can't be very many in the US. The only working C Band dish I've seen in person in the last 10 years is mine.

I was getting some coax a couple of months ago at Radioshack and the guy working there (probably in his late 20's) asked me what I was working on. When I told him I was working on a C Band dish he wanted to know what c band was.

The last time we talked about this topic I remember reading a report that about 5 million people view FTA satellite in North America. The number is believable if you look at the programming on 97w and the large numbers of immigrants in Canada and the US it targets.

I'm sure the people who view FTA channels from more than one satellite are a really small group. My bet would be less than 100,000

As I've indicated in previous threads, I'm new to fta tv and hope to purchase equipment for a basic set up. More than likely just tune in to 97W. I'm just tired of paying for "cable." That said, it sounds like 97W is one of the "more listened to" satellites. Generally speaking how to you find it's programing? What would be your next selection? Lastly, are there commercials on sat tv? I ask because I know tv production is expensive and I'm curious to know where they're getting the money to sustain programing. Thanks.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)