US Soccer needs a miracle to advance....and gets it!(FINAL GAME SPOILERS)

Almost any sport can bring you to sleep if you are not into it. I could say the same about tennis, baseball or many other kinds of sport. That's all until you learn to appreciate it, until you start understanding all the drama. And then you find yourself following the action as it develops, sitting at the edge of your chair even during some of the scoreless matches. Soccer is a beautiful sport, especially when high-ranking teams are playing. It's unfortunate that in this country it doesn't get the same following and recognition as it does in the rest of the world.
I agree. The more one knows about a sport the better apriciation they will have for it.

But, I seriously tried to get into the World Cup. The problem with Soccer is that it is so monotone. It is the same back and forth for the entire game. It seems that the whole time they are more concerned about setting up a play and setting up their defense than they are about actually making a play. What put me to sleep was the fact that the crowd noise was so constant. Even though they were loud, it was the persistent same noise throughout that sort of hypnotized me.

It seems that the whole time they are more concerned about setting up a play and setting up their defense than they are about actually making a play.

And this is coming from a baseball fan! :D :D :D

Outfielders spend an hour and a half setting up in the field during a nine inning game, and spend about a minute and a half of an entire game actually making plays!

Sandra

And this is coming from a baseball fan! :D :D :D

Outfielders spend an hour and a half setting up in the field during a nine inning game, and spend about a minute and a half of an entire game actually making plays!

Sandra
I can understand why a non baseball fan would think baseball is boring.

Keep in mind, I am talking about those with the ball (the forwards and occasional midfielder), not the fullbacks. Nobody watches fullbacks anyway, unless they happen to be defending a drive. Just like the outfielders in baseball, of course they will not spend much time with the ball, most of the action is in the infield. But unlike soccer fullbacks, many of the great plays occur with outfielders (baseball is the only sport in which the defense controls the ball).

It is difficult to compare a position in one sport to a position in another that is totally different. If you want to compare defensive backs and safeties in football to fullbacks in soccer, then it is probably easier for most to see why football is more exciting to more of us here in the US.

Last edited:
If you want a higher scoring soccer game it is easily done. Dismantle the off sides rule. You'll have 10-12 final scores the next day! :)

We Americans are so impatient that we cannot watch a game with good defense! Some one watching a baseball games with two no-hitters being thrown by the seventh inning will be bored to tears! Never mind that the pitchers and defenders are putting on a flawless performance. If no one is scoring, it's boring. It isn't until the 8th or 9th inning that something clicks and people realize, "Hey... I could be experiencing history here!" Then they get excited for the defence.

There is nothing more boring to a football fan than two football teams putting on defensive shows! Both teams playing a chorus line offense (you know... 1, 2, 3, kick, 1, 2, 3, kick) for 4 quarters is the most frustrating thing to see for any football fan! And a US Football game ending in a tie? YUCK! I experienced this just last year. Terrible.

Soccer is exciting in a different way. Like hockey, a scoring play can come from nowhere! The constant threat from both sides to score in itself is something that keeps my attention. But I give it up to the defense. These people are so good at this level that it is much harder than it looks to break up some of these plays and break-aways!

The off sides rule in soccer is supposedly the great equalizer keeping the offense in check. (simply put for those that don't know - There has to be a defender or a ball between the attacking team and the goal keeper at all times--there's a little more to it, but that's the single sentence version). If we want American Style scoring at will, getting rid of this rule would take care of that. :)

See ya
Tony

I can understand why a non baseball fan would think baseball is boring...

Again, no sport will seem boring or monotonous once you take time to learn it, to appreciate it. After spending enough time watching curling during the Winter Olympics I started enjoying that game too! :D

I think it has more to do with tradition and peer pressure, rather than with the game itself. If you grew up playing soccer with your friends or if you watched the game on a regular basis among other soccer fans shouting "Goal!!!" and analyzing every pass, you would've had a very different opinion about the game.

Well, at least you made an effort! Though, as you admitted yourself, you slept through all the games you watched during the WC. :)
But at least you tried. It's amazing how many people dismiss soccer without even trying to understand the game simply because they've heard others compare it to drying paint or growing grass...

Hey, if soccer was boring indeed, it wouldn't become the most popular sport in the world with more than a billion of fans! Just think about it. Billion!!!

If you want a higher scoring soccer game it is easily done. Dismantle the off sides rule. You'll have 10-12 final scores the next day! :)
This is what I have always argued. It is the stupid off-sides rule that prevents fast-breaks and exciting drives. This would make soccer more appealing. It isn't so much the fact that they seldom score, it is the fact that there are seldom any fast action plays. Seriously, most of the game involves two teams slowly kicking the ball back and forth with the middle 1/3 of the field.

We Americans are so impatient that we cannot watch a game with good defense! Some one watching a baseball games with two no-hitters being thrown by the seventh inning will be bored to tears! Never mind that the pitchers and defenders are putting on a flawless performance. If no one is scoring, it's boring. It isn't until the 8th or 9th inning that something clicks and people realize, "Hey... I could be experiencing history here!" Then they get excited for the defence.
Here is the difference though...In baseball the defense controls the ball. So the good plays are performed by the defense. It is possible to have an exciting no hitter with action packed plays every inning. In soccer, a good defensive game means that the ball will remain within the middle 1/3 of the field with very little action or excitement going on.

Again, no sport will seem boring or monotonous once you take time to learn it, to appreciate it. After spending enough time watching curling during the Winter Olympics I started enjoying that game too! :D
!
I dissagree. The more one understands it, the more they may appreciate it and even like it, but it does not mean that the sport will not be boring to said person still. I play golf but think it is as boring as hell to watch it on TV.
Well, at least you made an effort! Though, as you admitted yourself, you slept through all the games you watched during the WC. :)
But at least you tried. It's amazing how many people dismiss soccer without even trying to understand the game simply because they've heard others compare it to drying paint or growing grass...

Hey, if soccer was boring indeed, it wouldn't become the most popular sport in the world with more than a billion of fans! Just think about it. Billion!!!
And I will try it again this time as well.

BTW, I do watch my students play and I do understand the game. I watch to support them, not because I am a fan of the sport. I do have an appreciation for it and I understand that it is one of the most athletically challenging games around.

The more one understands it, the more they may appreciate it and even like it, but it does not mean that the sport will not be boring to said person still.
Ok, I think I can agree with that. I think baseball is boring, even though I do enjoy it! :D

I personally think the ONLY reason people cannot get into soccer is the fact that you do not and cannot use your hands.

I also think soccer has a better flow when the announcers/the game is being broadcast....in spanish. The spanish announcers tell it like it is even MORE SO than baseball/football/basketball announcers because they have NO TIES to the teams. They do not sugarcaot their opinions as to the players, the play, the officials and team management.

I mean whne you have 4 to 5 times MORE people watching the World Cup Final than the Super Bowl....that goes to show you how us Amercians will more or less watch ONLY sports that Americans either invented or are only really good at.

I personally think the ONLY reason people cannot get into soccer is the fact that you do not and cannot use your hands.

I also think soccer has a better flow when the announcers/the game is being broadcast....in spanish. The spanish announcers tell it like it is even MORE SO than baseball/football/basketball announcers because they have NO TIES to the teams. They do not sugarcaot their opinions as to the players, the play, the officials and team management.

I mean whne you have 4 to 5 times MORE people watching the World Cup Final than the Super Bowl....that goes to show you how us Amercians will more or less watch ONLY sports that Americans either invented or are only really good at.

Totally agree with the first statement. It's not the only reason, but I think it does seem odd to the American sports fan to watch a game being played where hands are not needed.

Spanish broadcasting is fine...IF you speak Spanish!

Sandra

I can understand why a non baseball fan would think baseball is boring.

...except for one thing...I'm a HUGE baseball fan! I have the MLB Extra Innings package with DirecTV, and we spent last night bouncing around from game to game. I didn't turn the TV off until 1AM, when the Angels finally closed out the Rockies. I watched Bobby Abreau's eight inning two-run single give the Angels the lead, and then Brian Fuentes finish off his old team.

I just thought it was funny to hear a baseball fan talk about soccer like it's bad because people stand around a lot...;)

Sandra

Very true. I cannot bring myelf to watch golf. It's like watching the grass grow...literally. I guess if I took the time to get to know the golfers I might appreciate it more....oh who am I kidding!?!

I could never watch golf...ever.

I'd rather watch Wipeout...

Sandra

Blasphemy! I love golf!

I tend to agree with Ilya's explanation on why someone's a fan of a certain sport or not.

To add to that, if you ever play that sport, it also helps to understand the rules and little nuances of the game, where others who don't play never fully grasp or appreciate.

I play golf, so I can appreciate how difficult the game is. Golf is the ultimate sportsmanship game. You keep your own score and record your own penalties. It's a game of honesty. No other sport that I'm aware of demands such honesty out of their players. Can you imagine having to trust Stephon Marbury to call traveling on himself?!

Golfers play on some of the most pristine fields of play in all of sports. Not the hardwood, not in a dome, not in a dirt infield. Golfers travel the world and play outdoors amongst beautiful landscapes and battle various weather elements. No shot is exactly the same. Every course, shot and tournament pose a different challenge.

As a movie fan and in tribute to Shia LaBeouf (Transformers 2 opening today), may I suggest a title for you. It called, "The Greatest Game Ever Played." I highly recommend it to those of you who are on the fence about the sport of golf, or are already a fan. It's an excellent movie.

...except for one thing...I'm a HUGE baseball fan! I have the MLB Extra Innings package with DirecTV, and we spent last night bouncing around from game to game. I didn't turn the TV off until 1AM, when the Angels finally closed out the Rockies. I watched Bobby Abreau's eight inning two-run single give the Angels the lead, and then Brian Fuentes finish off his old team.

I just thought it was funny to hear a baseball fan talk about soccer like it's bad because people stand around a lot...;)

Sandra
That wasn't in reference to you. It was just a general statement about anyone whom may think baseball is boring.

Blasphemy! I love golf!

I tend to agree with Ilya's explanation on why someone's a fan of a certain sport or not.

To add to that, if you ever play that sport, it also helps to understand the rules and little nuances of the game, where others who don't play never fully grasp or appreciate.

I play golf, so I can appreciate how difficult the game is. Golf is the ultimate sportsmanship game. You keep your own score and record your own penalties. It's a game of honesty. No other sport that I'm aware of demands such honesty out of their players. Can you imagine having to trust Stephon Marbury to call traveling on himself?!

Golfers play on some of the most pristine fields of play in all of sports. Not the hardwood, not in a dome, not in a dirt infield. Golfers travel the world and play outdoors amongst beautiful landscapes and battle various weather elements. No shot is exactly the same. Every course, shot and tournament pose a different challenge.

As a movie fan and in tribute to Shia LaBeouf (Transformers 2 opening today), may I suggest a title for you. It called, "The Greatest Game Ever Played." I highly recommend it to those of you who are on the fence about the sport of golf, or are already a fan. It's an excellent movie.

Nah...golf on TV is boring. ;)

Sandra

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)