US Soccer needs a miracle to advance....and gets it!(FINAL GAME SPOILERS)

Now that this is done, I just want to add my personal experience watching the game and why I think many Americans are not into soccer.

1. We Americans like our own products. Even when we borrow or take from other cultures or countries, we change it to become more American. Call it American pride or something else, Soccer just seems more of a foreign sport and less American than the big 3 sports of America (perhaps 4 if you count Hockey).
  2. We have short attention spans and get bored easily by the lack of offense. Get rid of the off sides rules and more Americans may become interested in the sport.
  3. Few people understand the strategy within the game. You see the same thing with baseball as well. They watch a pitcher stand on the mound holding on a runner and they think they are just wasting time.
The next two are the reasons why I do not care for it:

1. The game is to repetative and slow. Basketball is my least favorite American sport because it too is to repetitive. The difference is, basketball has the advantage of being faster. It seems like most of the game is spent in the middle 1/3 of the field kicking the ball back and forth. I realize this comes down to strategy, but the constant repetative stategic moves do get monatonous at time.
  2. The constant crowd noise. Most American sports are filled with periods of quietness and sudden burst of noise, just like the sports themselves. It is this sudden burst and change within the atmosphere that keeps us on our toes, just like the game itself.
I found myself dozing off due to the constant buzz of the kazoos and the constant moderate to slow pace of the game. These two things together put me in a hypnotic state. The monotone constant noise in the crowd and the back and forth of the game working together.

This is not meant to be a criticism of soccer. I understand that everyone likes different things for there own reasons. I am not here to convince anyone that soccer is good or bad, nor am I here to attempt to say that other sports are better. I am simply comparing the differences as I see them and explaining why I believe soccer hasn't taken off, as well as explain why I have a hard time following soccer.

Missed this topic throughout...:( Oh well.

A few observations after reading through the thread.

1. The horns are a not a normal thing. They have done everyone's head in and FIFA better reconsider a ban on them for the World Cup or else it has the potential to become a ratings disaster.:rant:

2. The final was a very good match. Pity for the US team and I think Bradley dropped the ball when he did not make substitutions and played back in the box in the second half. that said, There is no better group of individual players than that Brazil team and the US did put up a great effort.

3. It's hard for a US audience, watching 1-2 matches a year, to understand a lot of the strategy and intricacies. It's much more of a team sport than our US sports and a good defense often trumps a better and potent offense. Refereeing decisions end up having much more impact than in most sports.

4. It's hard to watch a sport when you don't know any of the players. A lot of the fun comes from watching individual match ups on the pitch. Knowing the history of the teams also makes a big difference.

5. International football is usually pretty boring. The club level is a lot better IMHO.

6. The pacing in soccer/football is unbelievably quick. It gets a bad rap because of the usual lack of scoring but to me watching a NFL or NBA game is pure torture because it takes so long in-between plays.

Missed this topic throughout...:( Oh well.

A few observations after reading through the thread.

1. The horns are a not a normal thing. They have done everyone's head in and FIFA better reconsider a ban on them for the World Cup or else it has the potential to become a ratings disaster.:rant:

2. The final was a very good match. Pity for the US team and I think Bradley dropped the ball when he did not make substitutions and played back in the box in the second half. that said, There is no better group of individual players than that Brazil team and the US did put up a great effort.

3. It's hard for a US audience, watching 1-2 matches a year, to understand a lot of the strategy and intricacies. It's much more of a team sport than our US sports and a good defense often trumps a better and potent offense. Refereeing decisions end up having much more impact than in most sports.

4. It's hard to watch a sport when you don't know any of the players. A lot of the fun comes from watching individual match ups on the pitch. Knowing the history of the teams also makes a big difference.

5. International football is usually pretty boring. The club level is a lot better IMHO.

6. The pacing in soccer/football is unbelievably quick. It gets a bad rap because of the usual lack of scoring but to me watching a NFL or NBA game is pure torture because it takes so long in-between plays.

excellent points!

The next two are the reasons why I do not care for it:

1. The game is to repetative and slow. Basketball is my least favorite American sport because it too is to repetitive. The difference is, basketball has the advantage of being faster. It seems like most of the game is spent in the middle 1/3 of the field kicking the ball back and forth. I realize this comes down to strategy, but the constant repetative stategic moves do get monatonous at time.
I'm sorry, I still find this ironic coming from a BASEBALL fan. Repetition and slowness are CELEBRATED by baseball fans!

Sandra

[/LIST]
I'm sorry, I still find this ironic coming from a BASEBALL fan. Repetition and slowness are CELEBRATED by baseball fans!

Sandra
Here we go again. Then I am going to reply and you will accuse me of turning this into a baseball thread. If you don't want it turned into a baseball thread, then stopping bringing up baseball.

Since you did bring it up, let me reply by saying this, TO EACH HIS OWN. This is the way soccer appears to me and I am sure baseball appears the same to others.

Here we go again. Then I am going to reply and you will accuse me of turning this into a baseball thread. If you don't want it turned into a baseball thread, then stopping bringing up baseball.

Since you did bring it up, let me reply by saying this, TO EACH HIS OWN. This is the way soccer appears to me and I am sure baseball appears the same to others.

I'm sorry I just find it ironic, that's all. I love baseball, but sports don't get much slower. Well perhaps golf. ;) :D

Sandra

I'm sorry I just find it ironic, that's all. I love baseball, but sports don't get much slower. Well perhaps golf. ;) :D

Sandra
NP...We just see it different. I like the constant change of pace from fast 1,2,3 innings, to slow strategic pitching when fast runners are on base, to sudden burst of offense. I guess soccer can bring the same level of variation, I just haven't watched it enough to see it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts