Usa Hd?

slicked25

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jan 22, 2008
Arkansas
The Indiana Jones movies are on now but the HD is not in full screen it's looks more like Soprano's style. The picture looks good but had never noticed the two black bars in the horizontal position while in normal mode on any other channel. What kind of HD is this called letterbox or something?

Last edited:
This thread is interesting. Threads like this always make me wonder. There are two very very different groups: 1) the group that wants the picture to fill their TV no matter what and 2) the group that wants OAR at all costs. I personally fit into group "2"

I think more HD programming will accomodate wide screen (16x9) TV screens going forward. For now, there will be programming that will display original aspect ratios when appropriate. Hence the black bars. Sometimes that can't be helped if the movie is to be shown correctly.
If you watch Star Wars IV, even though it's seemingly displayed fully on a wide screen HDTV some portion of the image is still lost with respect to the original 70mm ultra wide screen release.

Yes, big kudos to USA for the OAR. I was pleasantly surprised by that. I hope that's a sign of more to come.

Now if A&E networks would figure that out...

Yes, big kudos to USA for the OAR. I was pleasantly surprised by that. I hope that's a sign of more to come.

Now if they could just get rid of those pesky commericals, all would be great. I just can't bring myself to watch movies, in HD or otherwise, on channels with commericals.

ITA!! I pretty much won't watch anything unless it is HD, but I *never* watch anything (not even BSG) on USA or SciFi without first saving it to my DVR so I can FF the commercials. There is absolutely no excuse for the outrageously high number of commercials they play - far more than any other channel.

Was it just me, or was there a new CG shot when Indy rams the truck off the cliff in "Raiders"? If it wasn't, it sure did look different in HD.

This thread is interesting. Threads like this always make me wonder. There are two very very different groups: 1) the group that wants the picture to fill their TV no matter what and 2) the group that wants OAR at all costs. I personally fit into group "2"
Me too. Although cropping doesn't bother me as much as stretch-o-vision.

I was surprised they were on and I watched about 15 minutes of the first one. But I stopped after that 15 minutes was surrounded by 10 minutes of commercials. I am sure thats an overstatement but it sure seemed that way. Didnt know about the new sets either until I saw one of those annoying large adds on the bottom. I really hate those but I thought "hey cool, bluray!" Then after reading they were still DVD and not much different than the previous set quashed that purchase. Maybe at Christmas when #4 comes out they will make a bluray set. :D

BTW... maybe I am wrong but it didnt look fully OAR to me. But its been awhile since I have seen them.

I missed two of three on USA HD. I found it odd that they played them out of order today! Who the hell is in charge of programming over there??!?!?

SciFi is playing the trilogy on Sat/Sun this week. I've got it set to record. I really hope it's HD w/ OAR for the SciFi airings. I may just rewatch the first three on DVD. The audio will probably be better that way anyways and I do hate watching movies on "commercial" stations.

That is one thing I agree on entirely. If there is one that that I think communities like us need to do, is give the kudos out when stations seem to actually do thinks appropriately.

I know I flipped back and forth to it during commercials on some of the sporting events I was watching.

i thought these movies had the best hd picture that i have seen in along time ... awesome !!!! reminded me of my ota feeds ...

Is USA censoring?

i thought these movies had the best hd picture that i have seen in along time ... awesome !!!! reminded me of my ota feeds ...
Yes. I watched part of 40 Year Old Virgin on USA just after Dish lit up USA HD. Picture quality was excellent.

I know that movie was a big hit when it was in the theaters, but amazingly enough I had not seen it before. I noticed on USA that every time there was about to be some nudity that the scene jumped forward and the nudity (if any) got skipped. Was the censoring done by USA or was the movie itself "pre-censored" by the studio to get a better rating?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)