USA not in HD

chaldz

Original poster
Sep 28, 2008
Maybe it's just me, but the last two times I've watched USA HD the movies were in SD 4:3. American Wedding on 09/27/08 and The Guru on 09/28/07. Anyone seeing this?

-Charles

Not everything on an HD channel is true HD, rather upconverted SD. At least they don't use stretch-o-vision.

Posted many, many times. HD is still new to many channels resulting in the majority not having HD 24/7. Many of them seemed to have rushed getting their HD channels up, without having hardly any HD at all. Although the sd via an HD channel does look better than viewing the sd channel. You have to be patient.

USA airs a larger part of their schedule in HD than most networks (with HD reruns of "Law & Order: SVU," "NCIS," "Law & Order: CI" and their original stuff), and most, but not all, of their movies. I've noticed that the daytime stuff tends to be SD. Other than ESPN and the major networks, I really think it's the best mainstream HD channel Dish offers.

Maybe it's just me, but the last two times I've watched USA HD the movies were in SD 4:3. American Wedding on 09/27/08 and The Guru on 09/28/07. Anyone seeing this?

-Charles

Your first problem is that you are trying to watch movies on basic cable. Basic cable cuts out the good parts and breaks for commercials. With the numerous commercial free movie channels, DVD, bluray, Netflix, PPV.... I cannot for the life of me understand why anybody would watch a movie on a basic cable channel that is not an original cable channel movie (something exclusive to that channel). I hate to call you cheap, but find an alternative. You get what you pay for.

At least with TV shows, they were made for TV and they are not cut up from what the director intended. The scenes and language cut out from a movie on basic cable are scenes that were intended to be in the movie. They are what make the film. Try watching something like Full Metal Jacket or a horror movie like Halloween on basic cable. They cut stuff out.

Pick up a movie channel package or two and stop complaining. At least you'll get 16x9 HD on many of them.

Last edited:
Your first problem is that you are trying to watch movies on basic cable. Basic cable cuts out the good parts and breaks for commercials. With the numerous commercial free movie channels, DVD, bluray, Netflix, PPV.... I cannot for the life of me understand why anybody would watch a movie on a basic cable channel that is not an original cable channel movie (something exclusive to that channel). I hate to call you cheap, but find an alternative. You get what you pay for.

At least with TV shows, they were made for TV and they are not cut up from what the director intended. The scenes and language cut out from a movie on basic cable are scenes that were intended to be in the movie. They are what make the film. Try watching something like Full Metal Jacket or a horror movie like Halloween on basic cable. They cust stuff out.

Pick up a movie channel package or two and stop complaining. At least you'll get 16x9 HD on many of them.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

USA airs a larger part of their schedule in HD than most networks (with HD reruns of "Law & Order: SVU," "NCIS," "Law & Order: CI" and their original stuff), and most, but not all, of their movies. I've noticed that the daytime stuff tends to be SD. Other than ESPN and the major networks, I really think it's the best mainstream HD channel Dish offers.

I don't see that espn IS 24/7 hd either. As for the networks, they are just HD around 4 hours a day, which is not 24/7 either.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts