USALS Dish Mover for Channel Master 1.2m Dish?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

IMCHEMIST

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 6, 2013
Indiana
Does anyone have a Channel Master 1.2m on a USALS dish mover? If so, which one and how does it do? I tried searching previous posts but came up empty.

I have an old Channel Master Primestar dish (the bigger one?) on an SG6100, and it has the same size pole mount as the 1.2m, so I am tempted to just try the swap; however, I worry the weight of the 1.2m will kill the SG6100. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I don't have a 1.2m dish but IMHO you are better off with a Stab HH120. They are made in Italy by the company that developed USALS technology. Great build quality and rarely hear of a problem with them compared to the SG6100's. The Stab uses less power during standby and normal operation (startup is the same). Warranty is also 2 years vs 1 year for the SG6100. Just my two cents.:) http://www.stab-italia.com/download...hh120/Instruction Manual [EN-DE-IT-FR-ES].pdf

Agree with the STAB HH120 recommendation. Even with heavier motor, the dish mount should be removed and fabricate a lighter weight hardware solution. There are several project threads here on SatGuys that document mounting these larger dishes on HH motors.

In my opinion, mounting these composite reflectors on regular HH motors exceeds the limits of the hardware and it will fail sooner rather than later. There are solutions designed for 1.2m composite dishes. Check out the Satellite SuperStore listing for the Primesat CH12MK4 :
http://www.satellitesuperstore.com/satellite_diseqc_motors_36_volt_motors.htm

You could easily modify a 6-8' polar mount to mount on this dish. Probably find a free donor dish on Craigslist.

I have a Channel Master 1.2 m on a STAB HH120. The dish weighs about 34 lbs with LNB & the custom brackets I made to mount it on the motor shaft, which is 3 lbs under the motor's rated limit.

The HH120 is a very slow motor (0.4 deg/sec on 13v; 0.7 deg/sec on 18v), so you have to be patient when moving the dish!

It's been on that dish for about seven months, so far no issues.

Yes sir, I agree with the rest. I have tried many motors and the STAB series wins hands down. Solid built motors, most other motors these days are just made too cheap.
Also agree with Brian, I would try to fabricate a new lighter mount for the motor.

It is possible to modify big motors like Jaeger or Ajak to work with USALS. Those motors can easily move 1,2m antenna and even bigger one.

Agree with the STAB HH120 recommendation. Even with heavier motor, the dish mount should be removed and fabricate a lighter weight hardware solution. There are several project threads here on SatGuys that document mounting these larger dishes on HH motors.

In my opinion, mounting these composite reflectors on regular HH motors exceeds the limits of the hardware and it will fail sooner rather than later. There are solutions designed for 1.2m composite dishes. Check out the Satellite SuperStore listing for the Primesat CH12MK4 :
http://www.satellitesuperstore.com/satellite_diseqc_motors_36_volt_motors.htm

You could easily modify a 6-8' polar mount to mount on this dish. Probably find a free donor dish on Craigslist.
agree with putting reflector on modified polar mount... this safest best solution. RimaNTSS posted this photo to what happened when someone put a 1.8m on a jaeger 1224. catastrophic failure. :eek: DSC02381.jpg

Didn't someone here, not that long ago, put one, a 1.2 or a 1.8, on a Birdview mover???
An ajak on a 1.8 would be sweet [ in my book]. Don't think it would have the muscle for the 2.4m I have in storage tho-.

Didn't someone here, not that long ago, put one, a 1.2 or a 1.8, on a Birdview mover???
An ajak on a 1.8 would be sweet [ in my book]. Don't think it would have the muscle for the 2.4m I have in storage tho-.

I acquired an Ajak in September of 2013, and had every intention of rehabbing it, and mounting my Edward Jones/Prodelin 1.8m dish to it this year. That was after I gave up spending a couple months trying to mount a polar mount to it. That dish is too large for the mount I had, and I finally realized that and gave up. The Ajak didn't happen yet due to my health issues, which are quite bad this year, though it is a working unit as it is.

It was all my wife and I could do to get that beast of a dish on a 9 foot pole as it was. I put the mount on the pole by itself, and then I used a come-along, a tree that's behind the pole, tow straps (to suspend the ladder at a slant), a aluminum extension ladder as a gin-pole, and my wife to keep hands on the dish so it wouldn't scoot off the center lift-line. I bent the ladder top, but it worked. Dismounting the dish, and replacing the mount with an Ajak is probably going to take a much stronger gin-pole, or better yet some sort of boom motorized lift. I just don't have the strength at the moment, but I can't wait to get it done eventually.

Here is the guide I am following, this was just an amazing job by Phlatwound: http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/threads/phlats-prodelin-1-8m-offset-on-ajak-180-h-h-mount.264893/

Didn't someone here, not that long ago, put one, a 1.2 or a 1.8, on a Birdview mover???...

http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/threads/prodelin-1-2m-offset-on-birdview-h-h-mount.184324/

...Here is the guide I am following, this was just an amazing job by Phlatwound: http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/threads/phlats-prodelin-1-8m-offset-on-ajak-180-h-h-mount.264893/

That was a neat project but as I mentioned in there I was just "standing on the shoulders of giants" (pendragon & linuxman), I never would have figured that stuff out on my own. :glasses

Thanks for all of the info/advice. The links to the motorized larger dishes are great!

I may be crazy, but I think I am going to try the 1.2m on the SG6100. If it eats itself, I can always use the control boards to modify a heavier non-USALS motor. I have a ton of BUD receivers, dishes, and polar mounts, but I am a bit restricted at the moment with the size of dish I can put up, so I have been forced to be non-C-band for a while. In the switch from BUD to Ku only, I really like the ease of USALS, but I miss the gain of my bigger dishes...

Reactions: KE4EST
Keep us informed! With what ever you come up with. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 5)

Latest posts