USALS on CBand project FAILED

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Here's the two-year old thread on the subject.
USALS for BUDs:

Birdview and AJAK motors seem to have been the most common H-H for BUDs.
Big problem is, they're still fairly rare, so members with either are few 'n far between.
... but since I have both , I'll be happy to brainstorm with ya! :up

Magic,

Do I have this right. You do have the USALS motor mounted to the dish polar axis, just that it isn't very strong to move it?

My suggestion I posted earlier would be an experiment to use two motors, with the actuator arm acting as power steering on a car. When the USALS reaches the new position it turns off it's own motor which drops the relay feeding 36V to the actuator.

Assuming the Polar mount takes more pulses(revs of the motor) How about removing the motor and electronics from a USALS motor, after determining how many pulses are produced and used by the electronics for 1 degree of movement. Putting the Motor and electronics on a Ajak or BV mount. Place a divider, programmed for the required correction, in the pulse line,

nickngen says he's got a 48-pulse shaft encoder (though I don't know where he stuck it), so presumably he's getting 48 counts, too.

I've had the pleasure of working with member "NicknJen" on his recent Birdview conversion for FTA. I brought him to the understanding of the solid build of BV being the best "hardware" package available, and found him one, as you'll see if you search my threads.

We did have a common problem, however, that being that the modern V-Box units, (mine a 7, his a 10) didn't like even the Birdview reed-switch assemblies for their counts. It seems the counts were too low. Thus, Nick experimented for both of us. Since my BV is at a radio station, I originally suspected RF from our transmitters as an issue. While there may be "noise" on the line, we found that NOT to be the issue, rather the amount of the count in both cases.

To address where the rotary encoder goes, look at the pics attached, however....the system needs its own power supply, in both his case and mine, a simple "wall wart" does the job to power the encoder and relay assembly required to create the proper pulses. I'm told the encoder is varable from 48 counts per rev to 2096 counts per rev! Most of the guts of this could be put in a box outside in the BV housing or even installed inside the housing of a positioner (which we've talked about doing).....there's a few small parts needed to "smooth out" the operation we have not mentioned here, but very common and easy to find!

We've been wanting to collaborate on a picture and narrative of the procedure, (pretty painless and not terribly expensive) which is not difficult once you understand the goal.

I was taught how the rotary converter replaced the reed-switch kit, and we even used the original Reed-Switch mount. Granted, its not the prettiest of installations, and you could make it more "mechanically sound" with a new mount, but..we both have yet to have our units skip a beat due to the mounting via plastic wire ties!

Hopefully in the near future, we'll have more pics and details. Hope this helps!

Plus, for anyone lucky enough to have ORIGINAL Birdview LNB covers, look what happens when you weld two together to extend the weather cover for longer "combination" LNB's!

I think the Birdview I sold Nick should now be called, (with a smile) "Frankenview" with the mods thus far. But then, so should mine!

Nick: Correct me anywhere you see fit! You're the engineer on our two systems now!

Attachments

• DSC07255.JPG
    DSC07255.JPG
    267.4 KB · Views: 142
  • DSC07253.JPG
    DSC07253.JPG
    250.7 KB · Views: 127
  • DSC07246.JPG
    DSC07246.JPG
    167.4 KB · Views: 135
  • DSC07247.JPG
    DSC07247.JPG
    356.2 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:
Radio, you and NicknJen need to do your own thread on the Birdview conversion.
I've been wanting to hear about it for some time, now. :up

A few years ago, when Linuxman was first adding a reed switch to his, I consulted on the job.
One of the things we located and discussed, was a rotary encoder, which sounds much like the one you found.
I believe his was an earlier BV and not sure if the shaft with the worm stuck out far enough to mount anything.
But I'll save these details for your thread, and leave this one for the USALS matter. :)

Radio, you and NicknJen need to do your own thread on the Birdview conversion.
I've been wanting to hear about it for some time, now.

We promise! Been talking about it together for the month that the "new" install's been going on. We'll try not to bore anyone.......it may be lengthly and have much info! Any special "category" you think this would best fit? It applies to FTA,
to 4D, to.....???

"stay tuned".....as we say...

Radio: the main C-band section.
hint: there's no such thing as too much info, nor too many pictures.
Break 'em up into several posts, each concentrating on one aspect, if that works for you.

Magic Static: You might want to enlist aid from Linuxman.
He's got more Birdview dishes and AJAK motors than anyone I know!

ANOLE, I've thought about the best way for me to approach the idea of putting USALS on my AJAK. Of course I'll have to use allready available stuff modded to my needs. I figure to use the main board of the SG2100 for the controller. I have to study the motor sensor board and see how to tie into it or replace it. The motor relays in the VBOX X look very much the same as the ones on the SG2100 main board. If they are we need to simply up the voltage from 18v to 24-36v on the motor power side. I looked at some lines of code for adding USALS to a STB(Linux OS) trying to decipher the relationship of the counter/sensor, but I'm not really that good.

As far as sensors go. The automotive world is full of rotational sensors, optical, magnetic, hall effect. And a huge variety of sensor wheels, rings etc. When I discover the properties of the sensor in the SG2100 I should be able to apply that to the Ajak. I will proceed with the idea of easily duplicating the proccess. And use readily available parts.

Don't mess up your Ajak to where it cannot be restored to factory configuration.

Some years ago, I considered adding a new magnet wheel to the Ajak to double its pulse count.
Upon studying how it worked, I found they'd come up with an ingenious trick to double the count already!
Those five magnets actually give ten pulses! *

So, my efforts to double the number of magnets and use a tiny reed, were unable to improve on their design. ;)
(well, not easily)

* Extra credit if you figure out how it works! - :D

satelite 6' 010.JPGsatelite 6' 015.JPGsatelite 6' 021.JPGsatelite 6' 007.JPGsatelite 6' 013.JPGsatelite 6' 019.JPGsatelite 6' 017.JPGsatelite 6' 003.JPGsatelite 6' 022.JPGsatelite 6' 006.JPGsatelite 6' 024.JPGsatelite 6' 014.JPGsatelite 6' 009.JPGsatelite 6' 011.JPGMe to i have the same problem whit the win , it was tracking the arc but the win mess up everything

Attachments

• satelite 6' 008.JPG
    satelite 6' 008.JPG
    906.3 KB · Views: 120
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)