Usals?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

sdsat

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 25, 2006
Sorry for the ignorant question here, but I'm installing a new receiver after I had the original installed by a pro who has now left the area.

How does one input the information into the receiver to allow USALS to function? My new receiver should arrive today. I moved my dish to my true south satellite (satmex 5) using my old receiver. I'm a bit lost on the next step.

Last night, I did a factory reset on my old receiver and it is now working (see argh :eek:comment from another post). I tried to use USALs and it didn't move the dish. I have my lat. and long. and input that on one screen. But, still nothing.

Hopefully my new Coolsat 6000 will come with a manual that explains how to set up USALS. But, I'm not certain that will be the case and I know the folks on this board can do this stuff in their sleep.

Thanks for any guidance!

It turns out my receiver wasn't shipped until today. :( I could really use some guidance if any of you out there can help on how to set up USALS. It looks like I will need to program the pansat 2700a for this weekends games.

I found G-10r and Satmex 5 (my true south satellite) so I could just try to find each satellite one at a time with 1.2. But, I'm guess that USALS would make it much easier. All tips welcome! Thanks!

All you have to do on the Pansat is go into "Antenna Setup" select a satellite select "Positioner Setting" arrow over to "USALS" and enter you location information and store.

All you have to do on the Pansat is go into "Antenna Setup" select a satellite select "Positioner Setting" arrow over to "USALS" and enter you location information and store.

Does that turn on USALS for other satellites? In other words, my dish is currently on Satmex 5. If I enter the information for "positioner setting" and "USALS" and store it, will that let me move close to another satellite by putting in the degrees? I see the words "reference point" and I'm guessing that there is some way to tell the receiver that one satellite is located and the other satellites will automatically be found (or close to it). Is that right?

Thanks for the help.

most stb / receivers you set the long & lat once and then usually you have to set each satellite for the motor control USALS (same place usually your setting it for 1.2)

enjoy

Here's the easy way to setup the Pansat and the SG2100.

1. Get the dish to point at your true south satellite.

2. Then go out to the SG2100 and use a paper clip to press the reset button.

3. Go back inside and turn the Pansat off.

4. Make sure to turn the Pansat off using the switch at the back.

5. Disconnect the coaxial cable from the receiver to the lnb/dish.

6. Turn the receiver on and go into the USALS setup for your true south satellite.

7. Press the move option and select store.

8. Turn the receiver off (I have done this with the receiver on (nothing bad happened) and it has worked too, you can turn it off since most here will probably recommend it) and connect the coaxial to the satellite dish back.

9. Then control the motor with USALS.

You will have to set the USALS option for EACH satellite you install in the Pansat. Go to the positioner setting, select USALS, and enter your latitude and longitude (actually they should already be set if you stored them on the first bird).

Thanks folks. I put long and lat in for satmex 5 (my true south satellite) and it moved the dish off of the satellite to the east. But, I had already stored the satellite in using 1.2. So, when I started looking for other satellites, I used USALS first and the dish moved slightly to the east of the satellite (as it did with satmex 5). Then, it was a simple thing to move the dish to the west several clicks and bingo there was the satellite (I didn't have to enter long or lat for any satellite after the first).

I tried adjusting the long and lat for satmex 5 to see if it would hit the satellite. But, I could never get it to hit satmex 5. Therefore, I just followed the process above and found about half of the satellites. (I didn't try any others).

I should be receiving a coolsat 6000 today in the mail (or saturday). I wanted to make sure I could find the satellites using the pansat (that I've used for 2 years) before I started working with the coolsat. I suspect that I'm not doing usals exactly right. But, I do think I can find all of the satellites fairly easily with my method. So, I'm fine with it. If anyone knows what I was doing wrong with usals or how the coolsat operates on usals, I'd appreciate any tips. Thanks!

And, yes, my dish is on the roof and not accessible.

Assuming the Coolsat 6000 is like the Coolsat 5000, you go into "Menu", press "OK" while "Installation" is highlighted, enter your code (should be 0-0-0-0, if you haven't made your own), arrow down to "Motorized Setting" when highlighted press "OK", arrow down to "DiSEqC Motor", when highlighted press "OK", now arrow down to USALS or 1.2, when highlighted press "OK", if asked to "Save" highlight "Yes" and press "OK", now arrow down to "Antenna Position" and press "OK", arrow down to and set your "Antenna Longitude" and then your "Antenna Latitude". Now you should be ready? Good Luck!

Al

help?

Assuming the Coolsat 6000 is like the Coolsat 5000, you go into "Menu", press "OK" while "Installation" is highlighted, enter your code (should be 0-0-0-0, if you haven't made your own), arrow down to "Motorized Setting" when highlighted press "OK", arrow down to "DiSEqC Motor", when highlighted press "OK", now arrow down to USALS or 1.2, when highlighted press "OK", if asked to "Save" highlight "Yes" and press "OK", now arrow down to "Antenna Position" and press "OK", arrow down to and set your "Antenna Longitude" and then your "Antenna Latitude". Now you should be ready? Good Luck!

Al

I can find satmex 5 and g10r through trial and error. But, I have to use 1.2. usals doesn't find anything. I wonder if I'm using the wrong lat and long for my home. Where would you recommend that I find it?

Also, it appears that I need to set the lnb for every satellite when I'm searching using 1.2. Is that normal?

Try http://www.census.gov/cgi-bin/gazetteer? Enter your zipcode and it will tell you your lon/lat

OK. I had the correct long and lat. I rounded up instead of down and it still doesn't work. Specifically, satmex 5 is my true south satellite. I found it using 1.2. When I switch to usals on satmex 5 with the correct long and lat, the dish moves off satmex 5 and I can't even find the satellite again. Ideas?

Google is my crutch

whoa!
That's a clever site to get your coordinates from!

I've always just used Google and put in something like: "longitude montreal"
It spits out plenty of sites with the info, and one of my favorite is TimeAndDate.
(though, I confess I never remember to go to that site directly)

I can find satmex 5 and g10r through trial and error. But, I have to use 1.2. usals doesn't find anything. I wonder if I'm using the wrong lat and long for my home. Where would you recommend that I find it?

Also, it appears that I need to set the lnb for every satellite when I'm searching using 1.2. Is that normal?
If you are finding sats with 1.2 and not USALS, chances are you are not lined up properly. Remember the motor needs to be pointed to True South for USALS to work and not pointed at your True South Satellite unless "it" is Truely True South. I think you probably need to go back to "0" with the motor and then "Reset it". Then the USALS should work correctly. It seems like you have somehow "Reset" the motor while it was off "0", maybe while you were pointed at your true south satellite (or some other sat), which most likely isn't at "0", but off slightly, and that could account for the USALS being off, while the 1.2 would still work. Good Luck!

Al

If you are finding sats with 1.2 and not USALS, chances are you are not lined up properly. Remember the motor needs to be pointed to True South for USALS to work and not pointed at your True South Satellite unless "it" is Truely True South. I think you probably need to go back to "0" with the motor and then "Reset it". Then the USALS should work correctly. It seems like you have somehow "Reset" the motor while it was off "0", maybe while you were pointed at your true south satellite (or some other sat), which most likely isn't at "0", but off slightly, and that could account for the USALS being off, while the 1.2 would still work. Good Luck!

Al

Thanks. That sounds very likely. Unfortunately, my dish is on the roof. So, I can't push the reset button easily. I think I'm stuck with 1.2 for now. Oh well . . . .

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)