USB 3 for server?

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
I have one Dell 410 and am adding another. These servers have PCIe "G2" slots, 8 & 16. I have been trying to find a USB 3 card that comes with SBS 2008 drivers or Server 2008 R2 drivers. I'm only finding W7 & other earlier desktop s/w. Anybody know of a USB 3 card meant for server use?

Its very likely that the Windows 7 x64 drivers will work under 2008 R2.

Anyway, a "Western Digital SuperSpeed USB 3.0 PCI Express (PCIe) Card" arrives tomorrow. If it does not work on our current SBS server, I can try it later on our additional (Applications) server under 2008 R2. If that fails, I can use it on my desktop, but I'm reading it doesn't really work under W7 64 bit. We'll find a use for it, it cost very little.

Unfortunately, I have never had occasion to use SBS, so I cant answer that question. Underneath, it should all be the same though.

Do you mind me asking what you are using USB 3.0 for on a server? If its data storage, you can always use eSATA.

The 410 series does not come with eSATA but I just as easily add a card for that, I suppose. But I'll have to find another compact EHD using eSATA for carrying offsite. The GoFlexs are wonderful, even in their padded cases they are smaller than our old tapes or the RD1000 carts.

Yep, it's for routine overnight backups.

To think, many, many years ago I ran backups over lunch on a Novell system.

I'd go the e-SATA route. The add-on cards usually use standard chipsets and the external cases that have e-SATA are usually reasonably priced.

USB3 is still in its infancy and support isn't as widespread as e-SATA.

Adding to that - SATA/eSATA is dedicated to file/data transfer standard without overhead as USB. From all angles - eSATA interface is best for backups. I did remove of internal controller bord from these USB/eSATA enclosure and use direct cable I-L [SATA to drive, eSATA to PC port].
You will never reach a speed of eSATA backup using USB v3.

Thank you, that's what it will be. I ordered a test card. If it doesn't work, then I'll run a cable inside the case.

The 410 series does not come with eSATA but I just as easily add a card for that, I suppose.
You don't even need a card. If there is an extra SATA port on the motherboard, then all you need is an eSATA adapter, like this one:

And you can buy an eSATA (or eSATA/USB) disk enclosure at a local Microcenter or on-line. Those enclosures are very inexpensive.
They often cost less than the included eSATA cable if purchased separately! ;)
Some of them come with the SATA-eSATA adapter too.
With the eSATA/USB enclosure you will also be able to read your disk via USB if need to.

I know. But I'm not sure about the 410 mobo layout, but I'll find out. These cards will come in useful somewhere.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts