USB Hard Dive Error 860 w/ VIP 622

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

faster68

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 20, 2004
I have been using a western digital MyBook for a number of years now with my VIP 622. Recently I noticed that I could not access the external drive and I performed power downs & reboots to no avail. I have seen some info on the 860 error but nothing conclusive. Is the WD External Hard Drive dead?

The text of the error message is "there is no Multimedia device connected to the USB port". Message # 860. Anyone have any ideas?

I have been using a western digital MyBook for a number of years now with my VIP 622. Recently I noticed that I could not access the external drive and I performed power downs & reboots to no avail. I have seen some info on the 860 error but nothing conclusive. Is the WD External Hard Drive dead?

The text of the error message is "there is no Multimedia device connected to the USB port". Message # 860. Anyone have any ideas?

I had a similar situation this weekend. 'MyBook' was lit up and made encouraging noises as usual, but whenever I tried to access it from the 622, I got a message saying the drive needed to be reformatted. I don't recall if there was an '860' in the message, but if that's what you're seeing, DO NOT press 'Yes' to reformat. if you do, you will lose all your recordings.

If you are getting some other message and/or your drive no longer has lights, I probably cannot help you.

My MyBook just had a corrupted 'superblock' which needed to be repaired using the 'e2fsk' procedure. If you are getting the message that I got, your hard drive is probably repairable with 'e2fsck'. It is a linux utility, and I know nothing about linux, but with the help of a document I found on this forum, I was able to perform the repair correctly. It took me about two hours on my 1.7 GHz laptop. Be sure to disconnect your network cable if you do not have an external firewall.

Here is the location of the document.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/attachme...4&d=1247286119

I don't know who wrote it, but whoever you are, thank you! You saved my hard drive!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts