Status
Please reply by conversation.

stoker_x1

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 1, 2010
US
Hello everyone,

I need help finding a cable that can read/write to the mother board of a Motorola 4dtv DSR905, 920, or 922 satellite receiver.

The board has a ten pin male connector permanently fixed on board which was used by moto at the factory for all the software needs for this receiver before shipping. 4play is a program written to work thru the ten pin connector to read/write to the 4dtv receiver. The problem is with the cable. The BMD cable used with 4play connects to the printer connection on the back of older PCs. Most people like me don't have that connection anymore.

What I want or need is a USB cable connection for my computer and a ten pin female connector for the mother board in some form of a Jtag Cable I think.

This cable must work with Broadcom chips such as the BCM7010 family of chips. These chips were manufactured on or before 1998. I have data sheets which cover these chips.

I'm not an electronics guy. I'm just a programmer who wants to get his free channels back by writing new maps for this abandoned receiver. Lots of people want to do the same thing because some of us paid between $500-1100.00 dollars for these receivers over the last ten years. Hard to throw it away.

If someone could steer me towards the right cable for this job, then I can dump the data stored on these receivers and begin writing a program that will restore our maps. Ideally, this cable would be equipped with a USB to my computer and have a ten pin female connector which can be installed on the moto mother board.

To communicate with the on board memory of the 900 series moto 4dtv receiver should not require me to use 4play. If I can find the right cable, then software would be simple as programs are everywhere on the net and I can write scripts as needed. Surely there is a cable that can work with the broadcom BCM7010 or high chip family. Please help me find this solution and everyone will be rewarded for helping.

This cable issue is the only thing standing in my way.

Thanks in advance.

Stoker

Stoker,

See if this is what you want. SBH USB JTAG CABLE v2 - SB5100 SB5101 SB4200 DPC2100 DCT700/2500

It is $65 with software. Good price if it works. If you get the data, let me know. Here is what they have to say:

The SBH USB JTAG is the greatest tool available for any modem modification enthusiast. Words cannot express how amazing this device is. Parallel JTAG cables program at about 1500 bytes per second. The SBH USB JTAG programs at 100-200kb/s (100 times faster). It supports a large number of devices including cable modems, digital cable boxes, D*SH and FTA satellite receivers, WRT54GSv6, and more. Support for more devices is constantly being added. The SBH USB JTAG can repair (de-brick) almost ANY modem, no matter how badly it is bricked.
THE SBH USBJTAG IS COPYRIGHT © 2007-2010 SBHACKER. THE JTAG HARDWARE IS AN ORIGINAL DESIGN BY SBHACKER BASED ON THE EJTAG SPECIFICATION.
Devices Supported:
CABLE MODEMS: Motorola SB5100, SB5101, SB5120, SBG900, SB4100, SB4200, SBV4200, SBG900, RCA DCM315, Webstar DPC2100(R2)
DIGITAL CABLE BOXES: Motorola DCT700, DCT2500, DCT6412​
SATELLITE BOXES: D*SH 301-010 & 301-013, IRD2700, IRD6000, Pantec FTA 2500 & 3500
WIRELESS ROUTER: Linksys WRT54GS v6​
*SBH WILL ONLY PROVIDE TECHNICAL SUPPORT FOR CABLE MODEMS. WE DO NOT PROVIDE INSTRUCTIONS OR SUPPORT FOR THE OTHER DEVICES SUPPORTED BY THE JTAG*​
System requirements: USB port, Windows 2000/XP/Vista/7 (32 or 64-bit)

Included: 1 SBH USB JTAG CABLE, 1 SOFTWARE CD-ROM, 1 USB A-B CABLE, 80-PIN (40x2) HEADER (can be snapped to 10-pin or 14-pin headers)
If you have questions or want to learn more, please visit the SBHacker forums. You can also reach us on IRC at irc.abjects.net #surfboard_hacker
Utility CD:

• SBH USBJTAG Software & Drivers
  • SurfboardHacker Flash Tutorials
  • SB5100 2mb dumps (for bricked modems)
  • 5100 Firmwares: SB5100MoD, Rajkoware
  • 5101 Firmwares: Haxorware
  • SB5101 Tutorial & Firmware
  • TFTP Server & Config Viewer
  • OID List & Telnet Commands
  • Motorola Stormwatch Diagnostic Utility
  • FERCSA MSC, IP Full View, SuperSNMP
  • And much more!

Hi AZcoder,

It's funny that you pointed out this cable as I posted the same question at SBHacker forums yesterday, and no one responded.

I sent you an email this morning.

Thanks, Stoker

Just checked the link above and it says that this product is out of stock. Go figure!

Stoker

azcoder,

did you receive my email today? If not I will send it again. Your in and congratulations!

Clyde

I wanted to give everyone a chance to see the new cable I am checking out. This cable should work for everyone who wants to connect to and read/write to the Motorola receivers. Not set in concrete yet, but looking good at this point. The price is $60.00 and the software is down loadable from the makers site. Please check out this link for more information. Please let me know if you think there might be a problem with this cable. Clyde

USBBDM NT [USBBDM NT] - $60.00 : Zen Cart!, The Art of E-commerce

That site and cable have been discussed many times on this site.

It should hook up fine to your box as well as the older starchoice boxes. I wish you the best of luck with your project.

That being said: since you are a programmer you're probably going to have to do some coding to get their software to work with your DSR unit or perhaps code your own software.

Last edited:
I am surprised that this thread/discussion is allowed to continue considering this site's stand on piracy and what is being discussed, it is illegal and against the law. Trying to JTag a reciever to download the software to modify it, is against the law regardless how you look at it. The software in that reciever is copyrighted and protected by law, just because you purchased the reciever does not give anyone the right to download and modify the software even for just updating the maps. I know the argument is that your not trying to get encrypted channels but to add your own maps, but the point is your violating the copyright of the software owner which is against the law. If the owner of the software wanted the user to be able to update the maps they would have designed and built a software and hardware interface to allow the owner to upload those maps and provided that to the end user.

First off, I don't have a 4DTV receiver or dish for it. But I do enjoy the read. My opinion: All they are trying to do is reinstall an old original firmware with old "maps" and generics. In my opinion, that is no different in loading different factory files from any receiver. Receiver files get "updates", and if you prefer an older version, that should be fine.

ICE has said in another post that he didn't have a problem with this.

Maybe direct links to those cable-box hacking sites should be squashed. The cable itself shouldn't be a problem.

My two-cents.

Catamount

Well I understand that but if the reciever and software was meant to be reloaded with maps, there would be software provided by the manufacturer to do so and that has not happened. By using this third party software you are violating the copyrighted and protected software and in fact breaking the law("DMCA" regardless of the intent. If you look at the other recievers in the market place the manufacturer has provided the software or approved the software by third party companies to reload the firmware. If the 4Play was approved software I would have not said anything. I personally think Motorolla and Comcast screwed everyone that had a digicipher reciever but I dont approve of hacking the software either. If your going to have a no piracy site then it should apply to all and not just the select. I do not approve of piracy in any form for any reason and I think it hurts the creditability of this site if its allowed to continue on.

This is for Greg47 and also anyone else who is concerned about this thread.

Everyone knows that Motorola stopped supporting the 4Dtv receivers. They sold the rights to SLR and Programing Services, and they now offer a means to continue to receive subscription programing. The real problem with this turns out to be a very bad process rendered many of the receivers people own as useless. Not only did the conversion process fail for them, now that they have tried to convert, it changed their receivers and they don't work anymore. Lots of people paid big bucks for these receivers and to see them just set there and not do any of the promised work is somehow not right. More than that, the 4096 stream is gone and Motorola has no interest in finding a fix for our problems.

We are not trying to break anyone's encryption or protection! We are not trying to view any signals that could violate any providers rights. All we are trying to do is restore the generic sats with the maps that existed before the conversion occurred. I am a programmer but I will not in this matter violate anyone's rights.

This is not a problem for SLR or Programming services either as they both tried to help convert these receiver in a way to allow the receivers to retain the generic sats. The problem is that it failed for a lot of people. We are just trying to restore those receivers to active service again with only those channels that have always been free.

Stoker

OK greg, but consider this: Forget 4 Play for now. The OP said he was a programmer. If someone bought 2 receivers in 2003. He used only one till now and it screwed up somehow. His recourse was to copy the original Motorola firmware from his unused receiver to the one that screwed up. This is still original Motorola firmware.

That's all I'm saying.

Catamount

So you say we should just allow Motorola to steal our money when we bought our receivers and then turn them into boat anchors when they want. Well then Motorola is screwing not only me but other's who receivers have not fulfilled there normal lifespan of 10 years. My receiver is 5 years old and I payed close to $600 for it. It was sold to me as a satellite receiver that was able to receive ITC DC2 as well as VC2, Analog and sub channels, hence 4DTV. Motorola has an obligation to provide us with the maps to receive those channels for the life of the receiver. They are now in breach of contract since they no longer provide the G1 update or made it available elsewhere. So because some stuffed suits says it's against the law with the BS DCMA we get screwed but Motorola don't for being in breach of contract with us. I say we have rights too and have the right to make our receivers do what we want. Including rewriting our own software if we wish to make them do what we want. It's time these corporations get slapped instead of the little guy. If Motorola has a problem with it they need to fulfill their obligation and provide maps for 10 years from the day the last new 4DTV was sold, that was 2008 I believe. They have 7 years to provide the G1 maps still or are in breach of contract.

Last edited:
Well put Tvropro!

All I want out of this is what was promised thru this receiver when I bought it. Nothing more and nothing less. Just what was promised!

Stoker

All that's being done here is continuing the Motorola mapping that is no longer provided on the satellite signal. Carry on gentlemen, there is nothing bad going on here. I wish I had a spare DSR to donate to the cause. This whole thing has really gotten under my skin since Motorola decided to abandon the C banders. I have nothing but praise for Comcast HITS, Skyvision, SRL, tvropro and the other testers, for without their efforts we would have nothing for subscription C-band.

Well put Tvropro!

All I want out of this is what was promised thru this receiver when I bought it. Nothing more and nothing less. Just what was promised!

Stoker

Exactly Stoker, I'm not breaking any law. Motorola abandoned the Generic map technology when they shut down 4096. In theory we could write our own firmware and make the receivers do whatever we want. We purchased them and own them. If we could somehow add DVB to the 4D and found a way we have a right to do it. All I'm looking for is what I was promised when I shelled out for my 4D. If Motorola can't provide it they have a obligation to refund monies for time they didn't support the lifespan of the product to the end user, there not! If I can make my own map or restore the pre 1/4/2011 maps I will. It's usually the goody two shoes that play the legal card and say you can't do something. There the same ones that blow by you at 95 on the highway because they believe they are above the law there and not breaking it. Get a life and stop preaching about something you don't totally understand.

I wish we could get back on subject now that our detour has returned us to the good path.

Someone said that this subject has been covered before on this forum. I did a search for "USBBDM NT" and didn't find any information. Could someone share any links to those threads? I just hate finding out that I missed something like this, but it happens.

Thanks, Stoker

Status
Please reply by conversation.