USB Out from DVR 512? Off Load Saved Programs?

21st Hermit

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Nov 26, 2005
Colorado
When I was on the phone with the Dish tech on Sat, he said i could off load my saved programs on my DVR 512 via a USB HDD. Can I?

Once off loaded, can I install those programs on the DVR 625 HDD via its USB port?

If yes, what is the process?

Thanks

There are no ways to transfer recordings from that model other than recording onto a DVD.
That may actually be a good option. Have several PC DVD burners, but unclear how to get the signal (composite?) into the PC? Would I need a stand alone DVD recorder?

Thanks

You would need some kind of DVD recorder. As for how you connect it you would probably just use composite cables. This way does work but it takes forever.

Have several PC DVD burners, but unclear how to get the signal (composite?) into the PC? Would I need a stand alone DVD recorder?

Not necessary. All you need is a TV tuner for one of your PCs. If they are a hybrid (ATSC/NTSC) tuner, they typically come with composite inputs AND recording software. And since you have a 512, let me whisper in your ear: PVRExplorer Pro.

Not necessary. All you need is a TV tuner for one of your PCs. If they are a hybrid (ATSC/NTSC) tuner, they typically come with composite inputs AND recording software.
Most of the programs are from "The Universe" series, turns out I can get the entire DVD (19 discs) or Bluray (16) for $70 - $90 on Amazon. May be the path of least resistance. :)

Can't say I want to buy a tuner card for this task.

And since you have a 512, let me whisper in your ear: PVRExplorer Pro.
This all came up because my 512 "died" (see my related 512 thread) this week. Want to move the files to the 625 I got on ebay. May be possible to transfer the encrypted files HDD to HDD so they end up on the 625.

Thanks for the info.

Actually the files are not encrypted on the internal disk. But the file system is proprietary, and to my knowledge nobody has been able to move programs (encrypted or not) from one Dish receiver to another (except via EHD).

Actually the files are not encrypted on the internal disk. But the file system is proprietary, and to my knowledge nobody has been able to move programs (encrypted or not) from one Dish receiver to another (except via EHD).
Isn't it likely that the HDD's are either FAT32 or NTFS and I could mount both to a PC and move the files HDD to HDD?

Nope! I think it much more likely that they would use a Linux file system like the EHD for HD DVRs, rather than a Windows FS. But the internal disks don't use a Linux file system either. The only way you can mount that disk is via PVRExplorerPro. And that is read-only. I successfully used it to rip files from my 625 before I sold it, so presumably that would work for your 512 as well. You just won't be able to put them back onto your $42 625. ;)

Last edited:
Nope! I think it much more likely that they would use a Linux file system like the EHD for HD DVRs, rather than a Windows FS. But the internal disks don't use a Linux file system either. The only way you can mount that disk is via PVRExplorerPro. And that is read-only. I successfully used it to rip files from my 625 before I sold it, so presumably that would work for your 512 as well. You just won't be able to put them back onto your $42 625. ;)
You clearly know a lot more about this than I. I'm going to give up. That Bluray collection is looking better all the time.

You don't need an internal capture card. There are a bumber of usb devices that can use composite and or s video to transfer to your computer. Check for vcr transfer devides.r

Be sure you buy the Blu-Ray version, not just the plain DVD - may cost a little more, but DVD is hard to watch anymore - GOTTA HAVE HD!!

My Amazing saved cart has over 100 items in it, waiting for the price to drop to a point where I'll move it back to the cart. :)

Clearly you'll be a 4K early adopter! As soon a Blu-Ray 4K is introduced.

In any case, thanks for the thoughts. :)

I might buy a 4K display if the price were under $1000, but I am much too cheap to spend $10k on a frivolity such as video viewing, I only spent $465 for my Sony D50Q HD projector.

I only buy Blu-Ray because it is the latest proven technology and will last longer than DVD, plus at least 4X better PQ.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)