USB powered EHD on 722K

Then after that's done, someone will say that might not tell the tale, therefore I suppose you'll need to fill the entire drive, play every last minute of it back, erase the drive, archive another drive's worth, and play it back before everyone's happy. Then again, the tale may never be finished.

I must admit, my experience has been powered EHDs connected to a powered hub. But I would think an unpowered EHD would talk to the hub and the hub would talk to the receiver. Or is there drive specific data that must pass thru?

The only real concern is the drive's ability to operate with the power supplied to it via USB.

If the powered hub supplies the necessary power, and the drive is recognized by the receiver, then I am pretty darn confident that there will be no issues whatsoever.

However, I guess only OP can prove this once and for all, but given the current success reported, I don't have any doubts that it will work like any other self-powered drive.

I haven't been able to get into the new server for several days and was unable to report my final test. It took clearing my cache twice and rebooting my browser (Opera) but now I am back.
I loaded a 2 hour movie and watched it without problem. My conclusion is that a 2.5 inch USB powered hard drive connected to a Powered USB hub works just fine and is a viable and reliable option.
Michael

Can a powered USB hub power a USB powered drive, using the the powered USB hub's power instead of the non-hub USB power? It appears so, and more power to ya. :D

This post has been brought to you by Dr. Seuss.

Just a little levity...and a roundabout way of saying congrats on your discovery. :)

Good job. Now we know for certain. BTW, what powered hub did you use since there seems to be some variables there.

The variability in whether or not a powered hub will work is about the same regardless of whether or not the drive connected is self-powered or not. Just as the variability as to whether or not the drive itself will actually work, regardless of whether or not it is self-powered.

Long story short, looks like a powered hub will indeed supply the necessary power and will allow a USB-powered drive to function on the DISH receivers.

Thanks for the followup, mmcl26554.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts