GEOSATpro USB/TTL Convertor COM Port Problem

RPB

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 3, 2012
Burnet County, TX
You had asked me to send you the udf file from when my continual reboot cycle was going on

Ok, I ordered the USB recovery cable, removed cover, plugged it in installed the driver and ali editor,
downloaded the 8-28 .udf file from first post in this thread unzipped it too
restarted computer plugged in usb cable ... Found new Hardware, ... ready to use ...

In Alieditor, when I click File open, there's nothing, when I navigate to the unzipped userdb folder I unzipped I see a file I can open

Clicking "Process" either upload or download gets a

"Cannot open Port" error
Am I supposed to go into Computer's BIOS and enable serial COM ports or something not generally needed for USB? I disabled Parallel Printer ports and all that unused stuff in order to use those resources elsewhere when I installed Windows. Or perhaps registry edit to LASTDRIVE= to allow more drives than drive P or something? That may cause conflicts with other hardware I have installed. I expected the MicroHD to just show up as another removeable drive like Majic Jack/thumb drives do that I could navigate to etc

It's neat looking at the udf file I downloaded from here in the AliEditor, but I can't upload the old UDF to send to you nor download one, and I'm not positive if the DC power adapter should be plugged into the MicroHD while I'm doing this or not ... meanwhile, I'm watching the light on the MicroHD which is plugged into the USB port on computer and DC power continually do the red light green light reboot cycle show.

LOL I wanted to watch a TV show which is on a Satellite, I end up buying lumber, rebar, pouring concrete and learning math to figure declination/elevation/azimuth ... and re-learning electronic stuff I had forgotten in the 1970s. ;)

Some day. I'll ride in my kayak I bought in 2009 for $3,000 so I can catch a fish.... haven't had time yet, too many "hobbies" goin' on at once.

How do I get communication between my MicroHD and this computer so a udf file can be E-mailed to you or uploaded? (My other MicroHD works fine ... glad I got two)

Last edited:
When configuring any software that requires a COM port, you must tell the software what com port to use. Select the com port that the USB /TTL convertor is connected in the "Setting" tab. Leave all other COM settings in default.

The external power does not need to be connected if the microHD is only connected to the PC via the USB/TTL convertor cable for upload/download.

Ok, in Ali Editor

Setting
Serial Port

No matter which is chosen from drop down box. all the baud rates etc are greyed out

So, I rebooted, entered Computer BIOS, enabled COM1 ... on "Auto Select" for resources

Windows restarts, Ali Editor ... I choose Com 1 ...
same thing all the baud rates etc are greyed out

So I try "Process" "UPload" .... Testing Serial Port .... "Fail to Test Port" error

I'll keep fiddling with it
==============
Unplugged DC power from recycling MicroHD, plugged DC power and antenna back into tyhe working MicroHD

Restarted Computer, entered BIOS, made sure COM1 enabled, manually assigned 3F8 and IRQ4 instead of Auto, .. saved, restarted, Windows Starts,

I starts Ali Editor
Setting
Serial Port
Com 1 is still selected in drop down box (rest, baud rates etc is still greyed out, except bottom drop down box which I leave alone)

Process
Upload STB-> PC
Testing Serial Port
Fail to Test Port
======================

Unplugged USB from front of computer, plugged into rear

Found hardware, USB to Serial

Ready to use

restart Ali Editor

Process
Upload STB-> PC
Testing Serial Port
Fail to Test Port

I have 12 or 15 more computers in another room, last plugged in in 2007, so there will be Windows updates to do, and another 30 or so computers in the Shed, and just for fun, I ordered a Windows 8... AMD FX-8350 8-core one from HP now, so ... I'm sure I'll find one where I had a Serial Port enabled, I know I had one in the 1980s when I connected to a Pro-2004 Police Scanner from Radio Shack when Bill Cheek and I used to do stuff, may he R.I.P.. It'll be the first store bought computer (because I have too much other stuff to do) I had since 1 gig of ram cost me $11,000 and the Pentiums were about to come out and a 1 gig scsi hard drive cost $5,000. :D

P.S.
Don't ever retire, you end up busier than you were.

Last edited:
This appears to be a hardware issue, not related to the software.

What USB port is the USB/TTL converter plugged into? Typically, USB port would not be port 1.

Try removing the USB/TTL, restart computer, shut down, restart, insert USB/TTL and check the hardware settings to determine if the converter is mounted and the port assigned.

The USB/TTL reseller should be able to assist with the computer set-up.

This appears to be a hardware issue, not related to the software.

What USB port is the USB/TTL converter plugged into? Typically, USB port would not be port 1.

Try removing the USB/TTL, restart computer, shut down, restart, insert USB/TTL and check the hardware settings to determine if the converter is mounted and the port assigned.

The USB/TTL reseller should be able to assist with the computer set-up.

Been trying that, I have 7 USB ports, swapped places with phone chargers, Magic Jack, Wireless N adapter, and various other things in USB ports....tried in the 3 USB jacks in the front and the 4 in the back... same issue ... no rush as long as my other works, I scan live with KU band for now, I need to get the concrete poured for the C band dish next week before I need my second MicroHD

I'll just wait and try on a different computer next week.
I need to get atop the house and do some OTA antenna work.

Com1 and Com2 in Windows are usually reserved. When you load a driver that configures a com port in Windows, usually by default it auto-picks the next available one: IE: Com3. If even that's reserved, it'll pick Com4 and so on.

Hook the cable up to your pc, then just go into Device Manager, click on "Ports (COM & LPT)" and it'll show your ports, and which one is configured for the TTL cable.

Personally, I use a laptop with stuff like this to be safe. If you lose power while doing this with a desktop that's not on a UPS, it's bad. If you lose power while using a laptop, the battery power will save your bacon! NEVER, EVER flash firmware if there's even the slightest chance you could lose power during it!

I installed the driver, it found the hardware each time, said ready for use.

go into Device Manager, click on "Ports (COM & LPT)" and it'll show your ports, and which one is configured for the TTL cable.
Thanks

it shows it as com 5

ok so I changed the software aliediter to use com5 ... that's the step I needed, ...forgot to look in Device Manager.

it Tested port, OK, now seems to be uploading from wherever to a folder I made om the desktop, I named it stbs.udf

Thanks for patience... I used to know this stuff, even worked at MSN/Microsoft a while as they outsourced stuff I handled Security for their Celeb chat servers and stuff... have a couple small strokes and get old and the memory goes to heck.

NEVER, EVER
flash firmware if there's even the slightest chance you could lose power during it!

that I do remember ... I have this bunch of electronics on a 2,500VA AVR Sine wave Uninterpretable Power Supply (rack mounted).

Back when I did MSN security, one night I had half a neighborhood outside my window shining flashlights in my house wondering why light came from my windows ( the neighborhood had a power failure, I didn't know ... my 5 monitors closest to the Window made the neighbors think only my house had electricity... I had enough UPS boxes/batteries to last 8 to 10 hours easily, that's the longest I had to run them once in a storm before we got power back)

==============

Ok, there's a file saved 100% called stbs.udf in my New Folder, so I'll E-mail it to you like you had asked, and I'll download to the MicroHD the new one user, userdb.udf I got from here.

Ok, it worked, both my MicroHDs are working great now.

I'll upload my files from my other one with all my searches done and Favorites categorized and put it on the resurrected one to save time searching and organizing again .

Last edited:
Hi guys,
What sort of functions should I see from the microHD when I'm plugged into it with the TTL cable? I plugged mine in the "right" way and nothing happened so I swapped the TX/RX and I get the green light to turn red a couple times but still no go. Any ideas what I need to do? My connections are good, I soldered them on to the nubs either way. In control panel the Comm port is set to 9600, not sure what it needs to be. I'm not sure if it matters but I got a 3-pin TLL cable so I had to chop a 2nd USB cable in half and solder the red wire from that one to the microHD 5 Volt pin and use the TTL for the other 3. :behindsofa:
Cheers, Steve

What sort of functions should I see from the microHD when I'm plugged into it with the TTL cable? I plugged mine in the "right" way and nothing happened so I swapped the TX/RX and I get the green light to turn red a couple times but still no go. Any ideas what I need to do? My connections are good, I soldered them on to the nubs either way. In control panel the Comm port is set to 9600, not sure what it needs to be.
Cheers, Steve

Please review the sticky thread on USB/TTL process.
http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/291053-First-Aid-Serial-Update-via-Internal-TTL-Header

The speed selection is definitely wrong.

I think I was able to sort things out in the end, I downloaded some different drivers and made communication. In the end I just used the power supply with the microHD to power the unit rather than try to use the 2nd USB cord for power. The 2nd cord probably would have worked instead of the power supply or proper 4-wire cable, I'm 99% sure I was having driver issues and that the 3-wire cable will suffice.
Steve

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts