USB Wireless Adapter

Doug Moore

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2009
California
Has anyone been successful linking wirelessly using USB gaming adapter in their VIP? Reading through the threads, there are lots of success stories linking their VIPs to their wireless networks with bridges. What, if any, USB wireless adapters are connecting their DISH boxes to their WLANs?

One USB adapter that I can report that doesn't work with the VIP - Belkin's F7D1101 Basic Wireless USB Adapter. The adapter works great in two of my laptops, seamlessly connecting to my WLAN router. But plugged into the my receiver, the VIP722 reports "USB device not recognized".

netgear WNDA3100 version 2 was the only usb adapter that I found would work. I have been using it for about 3 weeks now and no problems.

I haven't used it, but my 622 now has a wireless set-up option on it. From what I understand you can get a USB wireless device, plug it in and it activates this option and you can wirelessly connect the VIP receiver to your router.

Menu 6*1*9*1 (Wireless Setup)

Thanks, TNGTony. I was wondering what that button was for. My RJ45 Wireless Gaming Adapter did not activate it. I programmed it via PC and it works fine.
Trendnet 647.

netgear WNDA3100 version 2 was the only usb adapter that I found would work. I have been using it for about 3 weeks now and no problems.

Thanks for the WNDA3100 tip :up I'll have to try it.

I've tried two other Netgear USB products - WNA1100 and the WNA3100 - and neither worked. Although my laptop "saw" and could connects through both devices, both registered a "not recognized USB device" error on my VIP.

A person on DBStalk.com got an email from Dish Network saying that they were going to start advertising a USB Wireless Adapter on their website starting on 9/29. I assume they've been testing the heck out of it lately.

Working "Wireless Connector" List - DBSTalk.Com (Post #20 at the bottom of page)

Hopefully, this is not INACCURATE information from some tech support guy at Dish Network that really doesn't know what he's talking about. That happens with some of them on the phone. I know first hand that they often give out inaccurate and conflicting information sometimes. When you call them back about the same thing over and over, 3 of them say one thing IS true and 2 of them will say that it is NOT true. Apparently, the "engineering department" doesn't inform the customer service people about what is REALLY going on very well.

I wonder if this USB Wireless Adapter that Dish Network is (maybe) going to advertise on their website on 9/29 is going to be the "Netgear WNDA3100 version 2" (also called the Netgear N600 Wireless Dual Band USB Adapter). I'd go ahead and buy it today if Dish Network would say that they've tested it thoroughly and everything works great with no interference issues, etc. It says that you get a "USB cable with cradle and fastener" so you can mount the adapter at a good location. If you are like me, you'd have problems plugging the adapter directly into the USB port of your satellite box without this cable and cradle.

WNDA3100

This video shows the N300 Wireless USB Adapter (WNA3100 v1). They didn't have a video of the Netgear N600 Wireless Dual Band USB Adapter (WNA3100 v2) ... which is the one you need to buy.

You better have a "Wireless N router" or the downloads will be slow. You might as well just get a N600 WIRELESS DUAL BAND GIGABIT ROUTER (WNDR3700) to avoid download bottlenecks. It'll be pricey though. It's still probably better than having some guy come out to wire your house with CAT-5e or CAT-6 cable.

WNDR3700

http://www.live.netgear.webcollage.net/server/netgear/netgear-product-content/httpb?ws-action=http://www.live.netgear.webcollage.net/www.netgear.com/products/TA_WNDR3700.html?tab%3ddemo-4d3f0e7%26wcpc%3dwndr3700%26tab-caption%3dTour%26tab-code%3ddemo%26tab-var%3d4d3f0e7%26showtabs%3dtrue%26format%3dpopup%2 6is-in-showcase%3dfalse~&ws-containerurl=http://www.dummy-container-url.com&channel-product-id=&wcpc=wndr3700&type=&enable-reporting=true&MarkupType=document&PresentationFormat=html

Last edited by a moderator:
Which receiver are you using?

I'm using this on the 722k. Bought the Netgear adapter off Ebay for 22 dollars for a refurbished one that came with a cord and stand. Pugged it in and the wireless setup tab in the menu became active, put in my routers security code and it was ready to go.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)