Use 5 lnb dish with old multiswitch?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Ddevil

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 24, 2005
Phoenix
I am considering switching out my 3 lnb dish with a 5 lnb dish I received from my neighbor.

I currently use the Terk MultiSwitch to feed my OTA signal and DTV signal to 5 receivers. I do not care about the HD locals from DTV, I just want to get the new dish up and give the old one to a friend, but I want to make sure everything will still work properly.

My question is, once I get the 5 lnb dish installed (plan on just making sure I get the 3 main sats for now), can I just run the 4 coax wires out from the dish and into my current Terk MultiSwitch? If this is possible, what will I lose by doing it this way?

Thanks for your help!

David

I am considering switching out my 3 lnb dish with a 5 lnb dish I received from my neighbor.

I currently use the Terk MultiSwitch to feed my OTA signal and DTV signal to 5 receivers. I do not care about the HD locals from DTV, I just want to get the new dish up and give the old one to a friend, but I want to make sure everything will still work properly.

My question is, once I get the 5 lnb dish installed (plan on just making sure I get the 3 main sats for now), can I just run the 4 coax wires out from the dish and into my current Terk MultiSwitch? If this is possible, what will I lose by doing it this way?

Thanks for your help!

David

The current multiswitch will not work in the long run, it may work right now, but when the new sats get up and they are running off the 99 & 103 sats they work on a frequency that the current switch will not accept.
You need a WB68 or 616 switch.

Jimbo

Putting up a 5LNB the way you are describing would be a waste of time. If you aren't going to set it up properly you are just playing. The 5 LNB connected to your existing multiswitch will give you exactly what you currently have. Same satellites same channel capability that the phase 3 is delivering.

Can a phase 3 with triple LNBs get all the HD channels?

It cannot get your current HD locals (unless you live in the NYC or LA areas) and you won't get any HD regional sports networks. You also won't get the new HD channels launching later in the year. As for the rest of the MPEG2 HD channels, yes, you will get those.

Thanks for your help!

David

Yes, that should work with legacy receivers. You will have a problem with HR20s and H20s once the new sats go up. As other mentioned, you will need the WB68 and 616. Diplexing in OTA, as it sounds like you are doing, will also be a problem once the new sats go up. D* is currently running a small beta of their new single wire multiswitch (SWM) that will alllow for this, although some users are reporting some hiccups there. In any case, SWM won't be available until later in the year.

It cannot get your current HD locals (unless you live in the NYC or LA areas) and you won't get any HD regional sports networks. You also won't get the new HD channels launching later in the year. As for the rest of the MPEG2 HD channels, yes, you will get those.

I think you're 100% right. :) Do you think ALL Slim Line dishes are 5 LNB? Or they can be modified to have 3 LNB?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)