Use both TV1 outputs on 522?

janedavid

Original poster
Jul 30, 2006
Hi-
We just got a plasma monitor and set it up to receive TV1 signal via S-video output (from the 522 sat receiver). However, we have a second TV in the same room and last night, we hooked that up to receive TV1 signal via the coax output on the 522. This is because our son wants to play XBox on the big screen when he can, and this way we can still keep the old TV on to watch the news or other non-big-screen-worthy shows.

Today when my husband turned on the old TV, Dish had sent a message saying we have to pay for another hookup. Our contract says nothing about paying for extra TVs on the same tuner.

Can they do that?

[Our option would be to split the coax out of the 522, but would then have to put a VCR or some other converter on the line to the new TV, to convert it to S-video. There is no coax input on the plasma monitor (long story short, it's a commercial model, we don't want to upgrade to a HD sat receiver with component or better output, so S-video is it for now).]

Thanks for any advice and for all the work you put into this site. I feel a little lost in the satellite world.

Jane

there's no way for them to tell how many TVs you have connected to the signal, nor do they care.

What you saw was probably the warning about the additional outlet fee that they waive if you have a phone line connected.

janedavid said:
Hi-
We just got a plasma monitor and set it up to receive TV1 signal via S-video output (from the 522 sat receiver). However, we have a second TV in the same room and last night, we hooked that up to receive TV1 signal via the coax output on the 522. This is because our son wants to play XBox on the big screen when he can, and this way we can still keep the old TV on to watch the news or other non-big-screen-worthy shows.

Today when my husband turned on the old TV, Dish had sent a message saying we have to pay for another hookup. Our contract says nothing about paying for extra TVs on the same tuner.

Can they do that?

[Our option would be to split the coax out of the 522, but would then have to put a VCR or some other converter on the line to the new TV, to convert it to S-video. There is no coax input on the plasma monitor (long story short, it's a commercial model, we don't want to upgrade to a HD sat receiver with component or better output, so S-video is it for now).]

Thanks for any advice and for all the work you put into this site. I feel a little lost in the satellite world.

Jane
I agree with pepper what you saw was the nag screen to connect a phone line. With your inexperience with satellite connections call DISH to come out and do a service call to correctly hook your system up.

Thank you!

Yes, you are right about the phone line. I had forgotten to hook it back up last night.

Thank you for your help.
Jane

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts