Use Dish Receiver at second location

jpatterson

Original poster
May 3, 2008
I recently subscribed to Dish Network at my vacation home and have AT100. I am thinking about ditching my Time Warner Cable service at my primary residence and switching to Dish Network AT250. If I do, can I take the DVR receiver from my primary residence to my vacation home and use it to play back recorded shows and also would I get the AT250 programming at my vacation home using that receiver?

It seems like this shouldn't be a problem since I am paying for the service but I don't know if it will work technically or not.

Thanks,
JP

If you transport the receiver form one spot to another there is really no issues. We bring the receiver from our house ot the cabin all the time (been doing it for 8 years)

Now if you leave a box at the cabin/lake house, that is frowned upon (but unless the dish audit team calls, nothing will happen)

Depending on how far away that "cabin" or vacation home is-- you may not be able to pick up the local networks if you go outside of the spotbeam. If locals are on CONUS or if you have networks from AllAmerican you will be okay.

Why just play back recordings? If you're gone too long the receiver may lose its authorization. At my cabin I installed an identical antenna/switch, my receiver never knows the difference. My cabin is close enough I'm on the same spotbeam. I move a 622, it's on an ethernet connection at home and if the trip coincides with a scheduled reporting update I manually initiate one before or after the trip.

Technically we're not supposed to do this, but I don't lose any sleep over it. Why should Dish care which of my living rooms I'm viewing my subscription in?

exactly...but someone will post that its wrong and write up the whole Dish agreement or some goofy thing :)

Like I say we've been doing it for 8 years with no issues

Even Charlie said on his Charlie Chats a good while back that he does the same thing and that it is ok to do. They just don't want the additional receiver at a second permanent residence. I wonder if it is easier to do this with DirecTv than Dish Network. I have a second house that I go to maybe once or twice every 3 or 4 months and have a dish setup there and like to take the receiver with me to watch a little tv there. It sure aint worth setting up another account and all that just to do that. I know people that go away from home and take the receiver with them to where they work at their camp when they work on the oil wells and so forth because their work is away from home nad gas is so high they cannot afford to drive back and forth and its too tiring so they just come home on the weekends while the work is far from home.

Even Charlie said on his Charlie Chats a good while back that he does the same thing and that it is ok to do.

I've seen this statement posted a dozen times in the last year. And while yes, Chuck did say that he does so himself (I don't recall an endorsement of it being ok to do,) why on earth would a customer compare their account and abilities to use their account in the same fashion as that of the CEO that owns the service company?

Charlie doesn't have to pay a bill for his account, but I'm willing to bet you pay for yours. Charlie gets every channel including some that people are posting here weekly whining to have (Sci Fi has been up there for awhile...) Charlie also doesn't get audited in case you had any doubts... It's just a bad comparison.

Iceberg posted the usual point. People can get away with it for now. But sooner or later Chuck will devise a plan to squeeze an extra "vacation home" fee or some other crap out of people, and he'll let the audit mutts off their leashes. Then... people will be screaming bloody murder when they get audited. Same ol...

Well as long as someone has the video proof fo charlie saying he does it on a charlie chat or whereever he said it, I think you have enough ammunition to fight them saying you cant do it. If the owner of the company says he does it in an open forum like a charlie chat, then, the customers of that company should be allowed to do it.

Well as long as someone has the video proof fo charlie saying he does it on a charlie chat or whereever he said it, I think you have enough ammunition to fight them saying you cant do it. If the owner of the company says he does it in an open forum like a charlie chat, then, the customers of that company should be allowed to do it.

+1

You were very luckey then. A few years back I actually had one receiver not hooked the sat at one time and none of them hooked to a phone line due to cell phone only, and I got a call on my cell telling me that I needed to give them all of my receiver information right then. I had 4 receivers back then but one was not connected due to a cabling problem and I didn't have time to fix it yet. I told them that I couldn't do that at the time because I was actually driving in my car to town to eat lunch with my wife and I would call back later that day. When I got home all of my receivers were turned off except one 510 dvr , which was the one receiver I couldn't connect due to the cabling problem. I had to run the cable and get all of my receivers up and running again and call the DISH AUDIT Nazi team and jump through the hoops to get them to believe that all of my receivers were in the same house. AFter that bullsh*t I decided to go down to two receivers and I hooked back up my landline so I would never have to go through that again. YOU do NOT want to go through that kind of hassle ever. TRUST ME.

Like it was said before, if you are transporting the receiver back/forth while on vacation, I don't see you running into any issues.

When I was with DirecTv a few years back, my 'subscription' was actually the '2nd room' in my father's condo in FL (I live in VA). When we set it up, we told the DirecTv rep on the phone that the 2nd bedroom didn't have a phone line near and to just shut off the ability to order through the phoneline.

The Rep asked "Well you need a phoneline for the TIVO to work."

Which I didn't think about and said "I'm fighting with my HOA to get a phoneline installed. But don't want to delay not having TV in my bedroom any longer. I'll just not use my TIVO for now and call back when that phoneline is hooked up".

He was cool with that and activated the receiver. I then connected the box to my vonage line and it worked just fine.

Iceberg posted the usual point. People can get away with it for now. But sooner or later Chuck will devise a plan to squeeze an extra "vacation home" fee or some other crap out of people, and he'll let the audit mutts off their leashes. Then... people will be screaming bloody murder when they get audited. Same ol...

but most people aren't home when the Dish nazis call so when they get back home all receivers are at their primary residence.

Like I say as long as you don't leave it at the vacation home, no harm done.

but most people aren't home when the Dish nazis call so when they get back home all receivers are at their primary residence.

Like I say as long as you don't leave it at the vacation home, no harm done.
Well, here is a question with Directv in mind. My f-in-l has a 2-room setup and wants to "leave" his second box up at his cabin for the summer. In the fall he was planning to bring his LCD and box back with him. The second room box is set up in his basement and rarely gets used, but at his cabin it would allow him to watch TV which he has never been able to do since it is rather remote. I was curious if this was a bad idea and I should tell him to bring it back with him every time or if he can leave it up there for the summer. Its not as if he is leaving it at someone else's house for them to use. He justs wants it for his own viewing when he's up there. Also, the main viewing area is north central Iowa and the cabin is in north central Minnesota, so does anyone know what the spot beam situation would be? I am guessing Des Moines locals are not going to be viewable 7 hours to the north. Thanks.

welcome :wave
he could do that if he wanted. I'd just be worried if DirecTV calls wanting the receiver info

just out of curiosity, where in N Central MN? We have a cabin about 1/2 east of Brainerd

as for the locals, probably not as DirecTV uses tighter spotbeams than Dish does. I know Minneapolis locals on Dish are pretty much the state of MN and western WI. DirecTV is probably the same way

welcome :wave
he could do that if he wanted. I'd just be worried if DirecTV calls wanting the receiver info

just out of curiosity, where in N Central MN? We have a cabin about 1/2 east of Brainerd

as for the locals, probably not as DirecTV uses tighter spotbeams than Dish does. I know Minneapolis locals on Dish are pretty much the state of MN and western WI. DirecTV is probably the same way
Its about 1/2 hour NE of Grand Rapids. So I think I will suggest he brings the box back with him every time. Just out of curiosity, how would they know the box isn't hooked up at his house? It doesn't have a phone line going to it. Do the two boxes talk to each other through the coax or through power-line networking? Thanks

Technically it isa violation of the residential agreemetn. But ICeberg is right. they let people do it and I have even heard of cases where they have helped people with the process.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts