Use Dish Receiver at second location

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Its about 1/2 hour NE of Grand Rapids.
oh cool :)

So I think I will suggest he brings the box back with him every time. Just out of curiosity, how would they know the box isn't hooked up at his house? It doesn't have a phone line going to it. Do the two boxes talk to each other through the coax or through power-line networking? Thanks

they don't. But if DirecTV is like Dish they like to call multiple receiver users to verify every box is in the same house

i do not have dish yet but planning to get it soon.

i have similiar cocnern regarding multiple recievers.
We live in multiple floor(3 including basement) house. the top floor is rented to my cousin and his family. they have different phone number upstairs then our on ground and basement floor.

If I was to get 2+ recievers and have them connected to phone lines but to 2 different phone numbers. is dish gonna have problem with this? or should i better not hookup with phone line at all ?

what fees do they charge for second reciever. it is bit unclear. they say it is 5 bucks but not if phone is connected.

I am planning to splitt cost with him.

welcome :wave
he could do that if he wanted. I'd just be worried if DirecTV calls wanting the receiver info

just out of curiosity, where in N Central MN? We have a cabin about 1/2 east of Brainerd

as for the locals, probably not as DirecTV uses tighter spotbeams than Dish does. I know Minneapolis locals on Dish are pretty much the state of MN and western WI. DirecTV is probably the same way

I didn't think that DirecTv had location id information or any way of verifying in the system information screen that all of the receivers are at the same location other than having all of the phone lines connected to the receivers.

First timer on these forums, but found almost the exact thread i was looking for right away. So here's my situation.
Going to the family's new lake house next weekend where we don't have Dish Network account at, however previous owners did have and left the actual dish there hooked up. We are wanting to rent a PPV event on saturday night. My question is, can we purchase the PPV on our receiver while at home a day in advance, then take the receiver to the lake house and watch it there? I appreciate any information. Look foward to hearing back from you.

IF you have a dvr like the 522, 625, 722, 622,612 , and you want to record a pay per view from your house before you take it to your vacation house , it would work whether you have a dish at the house or not. Because dvrs will allow you to watch programs whether you are hooked up to the dish or not.

But there is no guarantee that the dish you have at the vacation house, has the right amount of cables or switches you need to work with your receiver . IF you try to use it at the vacation house you would have to run a check switch before it would work for live sat video . Once you took the receiver home you would have to rerun the check switch again to get it to recognize the old dish setup.

Can anyone advise please....

i do not have dish yet but planning to get it soon.

i have similar concern regarding multiple receivers.
We live in multiple floor(3 including basement) house. the top floor is rented to my cousin and his family. they have different phone number upstairs then our on ground and basement floor.

If I was to get 2+ receivers and have them connected to phone lines but to 2 different phone numbers. is dish gonna have problem with this? or should i better not hookup with phone line at all ?

what fees do they charge for second reciever. it is bit unclear. they say it is 5 bucks but not if phone is connected.

I currently have time warner and we split cost with cousin.

dont plug them into the 2nd phone number. That is exactly how my dad has it. The basement in his house was originally built as an apartment

He has 2 boxes in his part of the house (living room & bed room) and those are plugged into his phone line
the 3rd box is in the basement and NOT hooked up to phone line

unless its a dual tuner box, its 5 bucks additional regardless if its plugged into phone line

If the "Dish Nazi" calls what information will they be looking for...ROO and S00 numbers? Can't you simply write them down?

NO they look for the location code on your menus screen and it changes every few minutes. There is no way to fake it or use somebody else with a phone . Now if you used slingblade , which would be totally ironic since Echostar owns them now, you might be able to do it . But I wouldn't advise it.

LOOK at the menu button on your remote and hit it twice- should pull up the system info screen. Then look down to the last line before Primary Remote address & you will see location id. This is how they know where the receiver is at all times. If you aren't in front of the screen as they ask for the location id , they will bust you and turn off all your receivers except one. Unless they are really pissed then they just shut you down completely.

Does this rule apply to all receivers leased and owned. I can see where it might apply to leased, but not to the receivers you own. I have a receiver that I own that I also move to a cabin when I am using it, then it comes back home with me. Also they said that I would not need a phone line to the one that I own.

they really don't care about the actual receiver, they just want to make sure that you aren't letting your neighbor use their service. so what you do is keep the receiver in your house and run a cable over to his. then use a uhf remote to control the receiver.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)