Use FM transmitter for Music Choice?

Maybe this is a dumb question but you do realize that you have to build and adjust that KIT. You also know about the possibility that you may be re-broadcasting well beyond your house if it's not done right.

My advice would be to read the manual and see if you feel up to the challenge.. Low powered FM transmitters are ok but they can be a pain in the butt..

I built a Ramsey FM25 Kit and it was fun. :) I transmit my XM radio around the house and outside. I can listen about 3 houses around with no problem before it starts to fade. :)

I am running at legal power. And I turn it off when not in use.

Scott Greczkowski said:
I am running at legal power. And I turn it off when not in use.

Scott, you mean it can transmit at higher than legal power? :shocked

cmslick3, thanks for your concern. Actually I will probably get an assembled ;) unit from a Ramsey retiree who builds them for retirement income.

I will post how it works if I do it. :p

Thanks,

1080iBeVuMin said:
Scott, you mean it can transmit at higher than legal power? :shocked

It CAN, you just need to cut a few leads and boom, higher power. (Or at least thats what I hear) ;)

Just want to post an update. I got the Ramsey transmitter to broadcast Voom's Music Choice all through my house, and I just hooked it up. WORKS GREAT!! Just as Scott says, the transmitter seems to reach 2 or 3 houses away in any direction. Nice, strong signal on every FM radio all over our property.

Transmitter is using just the telescoping whip antenna that ships with the unit.

This is OT but the 2 or 3 houses around made me think of it...I have several friends that were able to cancel their high speed internet because their neighboors have installed wireless routers that aren't encrypted. I wonder how common that is?

FM Transmitter

I'm interested in this FM25B FM Transmitter and wondered how hard it is to assemble? Please be detailed if you can. Also, where does the whip antenna go? Outside? Does it come with enough cable to connect the whip antenna to the unit if you do put it outside? Actually, thinking about it, you'd want it inside since that's where you are sending the signal from and to.

Thanks for any help. Are there others anyone can recommend?

GC112 said:
I'm interested in this FM25B FM Transmitter and wondered how hard it is to assemble? Please be detailed if you can. Also, where does the whip antenna go? Outside? Does it come with enough cable to connect the whip antenna to the unit if you do put it outside? Actually, thinking about it, you'd want it inside since that's where you are sending the signal from and to.

Thanks for any help. Are there others anyone can recommend?
Hi! I bought my FM Transmitter on eBay already assembled! If you search eBay for Ramsey FM transmitter I am sure you will find some hits. I think the seller of my unit is "big ed" or something like that. He also sells units unassembled for lower price. I would say don't bother assembling unless you enjoy it (soldering, etc.) and are experienced. I know I would never do as clean an assembly job as this.

My Transmitter sits about 2 feet from my Voom stb (definitely indoors) connected by a short stereo cable. I have tested the unit's range by driving around the neighborhood in my car with my car radio tuned to it. I got a very strong stereo signal a surprising number of houses away. I told a couple of my neighbors about how they could tune in my commercial free music broadcasts, but nobody was interested. :(

It works great for me though! I have Voom music playing right now on my FM radio here in my home office. :D Plays all day.

It's also a fun way to detect the strength of storms. The music cuts out for awhile when the dish signal goes down. :rolleyes:

I don't know about any other transmitters. There was at least one other brand for sale on eBay when I bought the Ramsey.

HTH!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)