Use H20 as Tuner. Possible?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Mr.Chips

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 4, 2008
I have a similar question about the H20 receiver.
I don’t have Directv service.
I am trying to use the H20 receiver to receive digital TV channels.
If I connect the antenna directly to the TV all channels come in fine, except digital naturally.
When I scan the H20 it finds 8 channels, some with DT extensions and others with HD extensions.
But when I finish searching and add all to Favorites and exit, I cannot tune any of the channels using the H20 receiver and remote.
Is the reason I can’t see the channels because I don’t have a Directv account?
Or what might be the problem?

Help

I have a similar question about the H20 receiver.
I don’t have Directv service.
I am trying to use the H20 receiver to receive digital TV channels.
If I connect the antenna directly to the TV all channels come in fine, except digital naturally.
When I scan the H20 it finds 8 channels, some with DT extensions and others with HD extensions.
But when I finish searching and add all to Favorites and exit, I cannot tune any of the channels using the H20 receiver and remote.
Is the reason I can’t see the channels because I don’t have a Directv account?
Or what might be the problem?

Help

That's correct. The H20 has to have an Access Card in the slot and an active account with D* in order to function. Some older D* HD receivers with the manufacturer's name on them such as Samsung do operate as OTA receivers w/o active accounts. But not the H20s.

Dana

That's correct. The H20 has to have an Access Card in the slot and an active account with D* in order to function. Some older D* HD receivers with the manufacturer's name on them such as Samsung do operate as OTA receivers w/o active accounts. But not the H20s.

Dana

Thanks so much for replying, OK I will continue looking for one that will work as an OTA receiver w/o active accounts.:eek:

I suggest using boba's, well, suggestion. They should start selling them next month and most seem to be in the $40-50 range so with the $40 coupon, it's almost free and you don't have to worry about it functioning.

I suggest using boba's, well, suggestion. They should start selling them next month and most seem to be in the $40-50 range so with the $40 coupon, it's almost free and you don't have to worry about it functioning.

With these coming receivers we will be able to watch the digital channels off the air, Correct?

Will these receivers work with our current antenna, or do we need an array of bow ties to get the best digital signal?

With these coming receivers we will be able to watch the digital channels off the air, Correct?

Will these receivers work with our current antenna, or do we need an array of bow ties to get the best digital signal?

Generally speaking yes, although it may be on a different frequency than the current analog channel (all of the digital channels currently use different frequencies, but some will be switching their digital signal to the old analog frequency next year). If a channel switches between VHF and UHF, the propagation may be different enough that a new antenna might be required (or if you have a really old UHF-only antenna, that would probably require a change). Each case will be different, so there is no single answer.

Generally speaking yes, although it may be on a different frequency than the current analog channel (all of the digital channels currently use different frequencies, but some will be switching their digital signal to the old analog frequency next year). If a channel switches between VHF and UHF, the propagation may be different enough that a new antenna might be required (or if you have a really old UHF-only antenna, that would probably require a change). Each case will be different, so there is no single answer.
Thanks Bob,
Looks like I will wait then and not try to find an old Directv receiver.

Thanks Bob,
Looks like I will wait then and not try to find an old Directv receiver.

Sign up now for the discount coupons don't wait. According to local news broadcasts Best Buy may have receivers before March but you will need the coupons at time of purchase.:)

Sign up now for the discount coupons don't wait. According to local news broadcasts Best Buy may have receivers before March but you will need the coupons at time of purchase.:)

I signed up for the cupons over a month ago, how long does it take to receive them?:confused:

I signed up for the cupons over a month ago, how long does it take to receive them?:confused:

Boba,

I fouind out that the Digital converter coupons will start to mail Feburary, 17. Thats good news.

Thanks everyone.:)

Boba,

I fouind out that the Digital converter coupons will start to mail Feburary, 17. Thats good news.

Thanks everyone.:)
Yes it is I've been waiting for mine also. I hope the coupons arrive before the receivers but with the Gov'ts record I guess I should just be happy when/if they show up.:)

Mr.Chips, I would be very careful with the digital converter that is being given with the coupon. This will allow you to watch the digital channels but you will not get any of them in HD. These tuners do not have any HD outputs on them.

Mr.Chips, I would be very careful with the digital converter that is being given with the coupon. This will allow you to watch the digital channels but you will not get any of them in HD. These tuners do not have any HD outputs on them.

Is that right! Thats a bummer then. :(

Hmmmm so it looks like an old receiver that would work without satellite service still might be the best choice?

Thanks for the information.:)

If you have an ntsc TV, you can use this;

Newegg.com - RjTECH RJ-900ATSC Digital TV Tuner

If you need 720P or 1080i and have a HD ready TV, use something like this;

Newegg.com - FUCHICOMM ZAT-600 ATSC Digital Terrestrial HDTV Set-Top Box

Currently we have two NTSC TV's.

So let me see if I understand this.

1. The "RjTECH RJ-900ATSC" will receive the new digital and HD signals but will not display in HD on the NTSC TV's. Correct?

2. The "FUCHICOMM ZAT-600 ATSC " will receive the new digital and HD signals but will not display in HD on the NTSC TV's. Correct? How is this better than option 1?

3. To see a better digital signal and HD we would need a new TV that is both digital and HD capable, and with that TV we would not need an adaptor. Correct?

Let me ask this another way. Are any of them currently HD capable?

No they aren't.

What got me started on this was a posting I saw on YouTube, where a fellow had a HTL-HD (think that was the model) receiver and he connected it to his non HD set and he said and showed pictures showing that the digital HD channels were received better than their sister channels broadcast in analog.
Here is the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBuFfbAFSj4

There are severa homemade bow tie antennas made for receiving digital channels shown there too.

Here is the link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWQhlmJTMzw&feature=related

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)