This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Use my Dish as an OA Antenna?

Pixelation

Original poster
Feb 24, 2005
Hey all, quick question:

I am dropping Dish Network in March when my one-year commitment is up. It's too expensive and I work too much to enjoy it anyway.

My question is, after it's turned off, can I use my satellite dish as an off-air antenna to pick up local channels? I don't want to buy one if I can just use the one that's already up there since it's already paid for.

Thanks guys!

No, you cant use the LNB, or Dish as an OTA (off air) antenna, You could mount an antenna to it then connect the Coax to that antenna instead though.

Thanks, mattb.

Can anyone recommend a good OTA antenna? I live about 40-50 miles from the nearest TV station unfortunately.

Cool, thanks. That site is really informative. It seems I need a "large directional antenna with amplifier".

Can anyone recommend a good online store where I can find these?

Also, I'm curious why it suggested a "directional" type. Wouldn't a multi-directional pick up channels from all directions? If I used a "directional" would I have to adust the antenna every time I changed channels?