Use of Dielectric grease

ecarl4100

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 18, 2006
Tennessee
Two questions. #1 Will dielectric grease help against signal loss at connections or will it only help to waterproof? #2 How much grease do you guys reccomend using on exterior fittings? (just a little, or goop it on) Thanks guys.

Signal loss -- Yes if the corrosion was severe enough. I used dielectric grease on all of my connections on the roof and in the house just to make sure. Before you apply the grease make sure that you use something like steelwool or emery clothe on the male coaxial center conductor. The female part of the connector is designed so that the center conductor part of the male connector drags or rubs any small/light corrosion away when you are connecting them. The threads on the make and female connectors are similiarly designed. Drag and rubbing of the two connectors threads can cut through minimal corrosion.

navychop said:
In? On threads? Or around cable where the connector o-rings will be?

I usually place it on the threads inside the connector and if I'm using a F81 or a RG11 connector, I will put some in where the sleeve and briad of the coax slides into.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)