Use of slimline in Hawaii

Status
Please reply by conversation.

fudwamper

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 14, 2008
Well since directv said the only dish you can use is the 1.2 meter dish in Hawaii I guess this is cutting edge.

I am currently using the newest slimline, I purchased the dish online since D* would not send me it, and get decent to great reception. I have yet to get pixelation. My reception is anywhere between 65 to 72.

I am still trying to improve the reception by lining the dish up to the tuning that the receiver says it should be at for my Lat and Log setting. I have the azimuth and elevation tunned right but the tilt is no where near the 155 or 154 it says since the dish only marks to 144. I can't remember right now if the dish can even tilt past those numbers.

So for all you folks in Hawaii that can't use the 1.2 there still might be hope for you yet. :)

I'll provide updates as I go through my adventure of acquiring the best possible reception I can.

69Mustang, I am on Oahu, in Honolulu. George to answer your question yes. What I was referring to is the number of people that cannot set up a 1.2m dish for space reasons and such. Plus D* will only send out the 1.2m they will not give you the option of a smaller dish. The techs tell me that 90% of D* subscribers cancel on install because of the dish. 1.2m wide with a 4" to 6" arm.

I do have it set up and running well. I actually milled a bit out of the tilt rings so I could reach the 155 tilt degrees. I made cardboard wheel with marked degrees, set it up against the dish and added more tilt degrees, up to 160. I am having the techs come out and fine tune my reception using there much better signal finders. I have survived a big wind storm but no heavy rains yet.

Any word on the signal strengths?

I'm on the Big Island and would really like to switch to D* for the additional HD programming. I just can't handle 2 large dishes.

Dune

I just can't handle 2 large dishes.

fudwamper said "My reception is anywhere between 65 to 72." and my guess is that is as good as he can get. Unfortunately, that leaves no margin for rain-fade.

There is talk on the AVS Forum (#post14601811 Honolulu, HI - HDTV - Page 152 - AVS Forum)
that only one 1.2 is needed now, so that helps some.

--Michael

this is helpful as I am dish network user in hawaii using a 1000.2 dish made for the mainland. his signal is level is much higher this mines. My is low between 20-40 but i dont get any rain fade at all, except when there is a lighting storm or really heavy rain that is passing through. I might be switching over to directv : )

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)