Use vhf/uhf antenna for HD

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

dadams0618

Original poster
Apr 30, 2008
Upon purchasing my new HD TV I found out the hard way that Dish does not carry my local channels in HD. (I am new at this.) I have an outdoor vhf/uhf antenna set up. Can I plug it into my 622 Dish receiver and pull in the HD signals from the local stations which are about 50 miles away?

You can plug it into the 622 and hopefully it should work? There are a lot of variables involved to answer a definate yes, but if your old analog tv worked with the antenna, there is no reason the 622 shouldn't work with it, unless the local channels have not gone digital yet or if they have but are running at a lower power waiting for February 17, 2009 to fire them up to full power. There are a lot of stations doing that, but I would be surprised if you didn't get at least one channel from an attempt? Give it a try..! Good Luck..!!!!

Upon purchasing my new HD TV I found out the hard way that Dish does not carry my local channels in HD. (I am new at this.) I have an outdoor vhf/uhf antenna set up. Can I plug it into my 622 Dish receiver and pull in the HD signals from the local stations which are about 50 miles away?
You shouu is PD be able to do that if your receiver has the antenna input. Remember that Digitsl HD signals are carried on an analog carrier, so therefore analog antennas work just fine!

Reactions: Foxbat
Where do You live? Dish carries nearly all locals in HD, perhaps your dish is pointed to the wrong satellite.

I live in Lubbock and had locals in SD off 110/119/129 (WA- western arc) but Dish moved me to 61.5/72.7 (EA-eastern arc) and that's where our locals are in HD.

It is not uncommon for locals to be in SD on WA but to be in HD on EA.

I'm not sure but I thought back 10 years ago when I had a 622 that the 622 has a built in OTA tuner.

You might look at upgrading to a Hopper system but the Hopper requires an external USB tuner for locals OTA.

My 722K had a dual tuner OTA module the size of a foot long sub sandwich.
It may have been humongous, but at least you could watch OTA on your TV2 output. One of the foibles of the 722 with 1 builtin tuner was that you couldn't. You had to start a recording and watch that. Kinda weird limiation if you ask me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)