Used Uverse for 3 weeks..thinking of Dish now

Thanks for the informative reply!

So you are saying Dish is roughly 98% for "motion", whereas Uverse is 50%?

Well for sports especially, and for most "still shows" I can definitely see that DirecTV provides better PQ than Uverse. No doubt about it! I'm more picky than the average person, so if I took my mom from her house (Direct) and brought her to mine (Uverse) she probably couldn't tell a difference on most shows. She would even be able to see the difference with a basketball game though.

I have a 55" TV, and I sit about, oh I don't know, 15 feet from the TV. It does look better the further I am of course. I can watch from the kitchen and even sports look pretty good with Uverse haha. Now if I'm walking by the TV and standing right in front of it, sports look very crappy with Uverse. DirecTV even had some artifacts/blocking or whatever you call it though that close too (4-5 feet away).
I'm just saying it's a wash for motion between Dish and DirecTV and a big drop for U-verse. Stills are virtually the same on all three, IMO. So you already know small differences in PQ simply don't show up at your normal viewing distance, so why make that such a big factor in your decision? I personally couldn't care less if motion is a little blocky. I'm just telling you what I see.

As other's have said, you're trying to average many different subjective opinions. That's pointless. You need to see for yourself. Picture quality is important to me, but it's only one of many factors to consider. Someone else said to consider price, lineup and LOS. I'd also add equipment, interface, features, extras, streaming, bundles and commitment. DirecTV was great until the fell behind on their HD lineup. Dish was great until they had one too many disputes. U-verse would be fine if the price was right. I may very well end up going that way someday. Cable is my provider at the moment because in my market they have the best PQ, best lineup, best price, no commitment, and I can supply my own DVR on the cheap which is on par with any satellite DVR.

Yes, I probably have been over thinking it. I'll wait to see when Direct calls me back. If it's something decent I'll probably go that route. If not I'm strongly leaning towards Dish.

Uverse is growing on me though, and I love that it's month to month. The surcharges/fees/taxes on my first bill were $23 though! They claim it's because of pro-ration, activation fee (which was supposed to be waived), and that those fees and taxes will not be nearly as high next month.

If Uverse comes out to $80 next month, I think I'll definitely switch to Dish. For what I want it will be $69.xx.

Thanks again, everyone! You have all been most helpful!

What is LOS access to sats? Chad, why do you hate the Genie? Also why doesn't the guide make sense?
For me, the user experience with tbe Genie is rough, to say the least. Very bland, even with their bright blue backsplash. It is difficult to navigate through all the different menus, options, settings. I do not like the layout of the guide, as I have gone surfing through channels, and the order they have them is weird. I even asked my brother where Fox News channel was, he told me it was in the news section, so I went to the area the other news channels were in, and low and behold there was like 100 channels difference between the news channels and that one channel was located. It may not have been FNC but it was definitely one of the news channels(this was a few weeks ago). I beleive I mentioned it before that if I couldn't have Dish anymore that I would use DTV as my second option, but in my own opinion, Dish experience overall is greater. They have everything I am looking for(minus the YouTube app, which DTV does have), and just an easy machine to work with. It is all about what is important to you, and Dish has the things important to me(mainly price and enough channels and offers to keep me interested, but also TV Anywhere and transfers)

Reactions: KAB