USING 2 EHDs

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

visch1

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
Cape Cod
Usage is my problem as both will appear under the LR1 and LR window as well will EHD2 & EHD. The problem arises when I try to the transfer operation between the 2 EHDs I can choose one EHD in the 1[SUP]st[/SUP] block and immediately the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] block changes and only permits transfer into the Hopper as opposed to allowing transfer into the second EHD. Am I expecting to do something not permitted or is it impossible technology for 2012? TYIA :confused:

Unfortunately in order to transfer recordings from one EHD to the other, you must transfer back to Hopper and then to the destination EHD.

Thanks for the response, talk about a PITA! Would this endanger the recording like just going fron HD to Hopper?

Thanks John. I find it more than interesting that so many things I would expect to work are so nonfunctioning or Inconvenient.

You are expecting something never programmed into the system. How does that mean "nonfunctioning"? There are a lot more important issues for programmers to deal with.

You are expecting something never programmed into the system. How does that mean "nonfunctioning"? There are a lot more important issues for programmers to deal with.

Come to think of it YES!!! Important to who, them cashing their check or me who pays for a service which is certainly lacking if you read any of the posts on this site. Some may call these bugs inconvenient but I call many a PIA which may take forever to address. Do you think that if the Hopper were a car, phone, computer etc it would survive for a month? I don’t like paying good money for something I call flaky. Also whoever designed the user interface needs lessons on simplicity, and not release a product that without instructions their grandparents can operate easily. For instance when deleting something way down the list in MY Recordings does the list go back to the beginning? Is this rocket science as a result of testing or not thinking about the end payee?

Come to think of it YES!!! Important to who, them cashing their check or me who pays for a service which is certainly lacking if you read any of the posts on this site. Some may call these bugs inconvenient but I call many a PIA which may take forever to address. Do you think that if the Hopper were a car, phone, computer etc it would survive for a month? I don’t like paying good money for something I call flaky. Also whoever designed the user interface needs lessons on simplicity, and not release a product that without instructions their grandparents can operate easily. For instance when deleting something way down the list in MY Recordings does the list go back to the beginning? Is this rocket science as a result of testing or not thinking about the end payee?

Flaky because you can't transfer between EHDs directly? Most average users don't even use an EHD no less two of them nor would most people ever need the ability to transfer between two hard drives and if they did, they can do so by transferring to the Hopper hard drive then to the other EHD.

I want to reorganize my EHDs. I have 3. I want my wife's programs on 1 , mine on another , and both on the 3rd. I started them with 722 and 622. The fear i have in moving thru the Hopper IHD is that many have said they lose recordings when they do this. I had some shows that i had put on the EHD prior to Hopper install. To test the reported problem I moved two to the Hopper IHD and could never play them again. I have no problem yet playing old programs from the EHDs. I have read that others have had problems if the program was recorded prior to a change in programming package. For example, you recorded programs and moved them to the EHD when you had HBO. If you drop HBO, the recordings will not play. This is not a stable system and the rules should be better explained by Dish.

Flaky because you can't transfer between EHDs directly? Most average users don't even use an EHD no less two of them nor would most people ever need the ability to transfer between two hard drives and if they did, they can do so by transferring to the Hopper hard drive then to the other EHD.
Again someone not reading/understanding what’s printed. It’s not only the EHD functioning that’s flaky, it’s the Hopper itself that’s often flaky. Read all the posts! And the one following mine from ODBVR. Most people wouldn’t know what a EHD looks like never mind how to use one, I’ve seen posts where the installer didn’t know what it is or how to use one. Because I must explain to you what I want to use a second or a third one for is for backing up purposes. EHDs WILL die.

...I want to use a second or a third one for is for backing up purposes. EHDs WILL die.

True, but Dish has to abide by the law, and they are using the single-copy loophole of the DMCA to make an EHD legal in the first place. If they were to copy, rather than move, there would be a 2nd copy, and that's a no-no. So, Dish will not now, nor ever, make a "copy" feature between EHDs. (Well, unless the law is clarified or changed in our favor.) It doesn't matter one whit to content owners if we lose our sole copy of their programs. In fact, they'll be happy to sell it to us all over again, since they claim they are licensing content to us; they aren't selling it to us to do with as we please.

That said, you can (and I have) copied programs from one EHD to another using Linux.

I find my Hoppers to be the most useful and intuitive to use DVRs, ever. The few programming flaws are insignificant in comparison. The EHDs are icing on the cake, and if I really need backup copies of any programming I can record on both Hoppers and send one set of recordings to an EHD. If anyone thinks Hopper hiccups are serious, they should go over to DBStalk and read posts about the DirecTV Genie/HR34 problems.

Complaining about EHDs not providing an illegal service is a joke.

True, but Dish has to abide by the law, and they are using the single-copy loophole of the DMCA to make an EHD legal in the first place. If they were to copy, rather than move, there would be a 2nd copy, and that's a no-no. So, Dish will not now, nor ever, make a "copy" feature between EHDs. (Well, unless the law is clarified or changed in our favor.) It doesn't matter one whit to content owners if we lose our sole copy of their programs. In fact, they'll be happy to sell it to us all over again, since they claim they are licensing content to us; they aren't selling it to us to do with as we please.

That said, you can (and I have) copied programs from one EHD to another using Linux.
Thanks for the explanation, though I don’t like it. Like many things I didn’t read the fine print composed by attorneys that seem to give a feature then take part or all or part of it back. Marketing at its finest! No wonder I’m so cynical.

Thanks for the explanation, though I don’t like it. Like many things I didn’t read the fine print composed by attorneys that seem to give a feature then take part or all or part of it back. Marketing at its finest! No wonder I’m so cynical.
I'm curious as to how you can infer that something has been taken back that was never provided in the first place.

It's my bad. I assume too much, partly because I'm used too and right now I'm copying Approximately 5T of MP4s and MP3s from different HDs on my desk computer for BU reasons. In the last few years HDs have given me much insecurity and labor pains as they at times are less than reliable when used infrequently, sticking. I know non use is not a Hoppers situation.
In the first place a HD is provided.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)