Using 2 Hdmi ports...need some info please.

sean126

Original poster
Oct 9, 2006
Hi, I'm new to this forum and I looked at quite a few threads first, but couldn't find my exact problem.

I have a vp-211 HD reciever from dish. I have a Hitachi plasma hooked up with an HDMI connection. I have a sony upconverter dvd player hooked up to the television also...via HDMI connection.

Picture and sound works good while watching satellite...switch to dvd player and it's still working good...THEN when I switch BACK from dvd player to satellite I have picture but no sound. When I unplug the HDMI from the receiver for a few seconds and plug it back in to the reciever... sound is restored.

After reading some of these threads...I am assuming it's the dish reciever that's screwed up and not my brand new TV....correct? and also...any remedies for this? would hooking the red and white audio cables up from the receiver to the TV (along with the HDMI) help with this or no? (I know hdmi has the sound built in)

By the way...I like this site...I just found it today.

Last edited:
First off, Welcome to satelliteguys! It sounds like there is a "handshake" problem with your TV and the 211. You may be better off not trying to run the sound through the TV. There are some serious issues with the HDMI cables at this point. Do you also have surround sound hooked up in your setup? If so you would probably want to run an optical cable from the 211 to your receiver so you can get more than 2 channel audio. If not, you could easily run regular left and right audio (red and white) cables to the TV. This will most likely solve your problem. Others (that are smarter than me) will probably chime in with more responses.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts