Using a basic inline meter?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bertbarndoor

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 14, 2006
Just wondering, if there are no settings on the meter, do you just move your dish around until you hit a signal? I'm just wondering, wouldn't it be possible (if you were way off) to pick up another satellite signal (as opposed to the one you were looking for)?

Now, I suppose you would have your receive on too, which would hopefully tell you which satellite you were on specifically.

But I'm just thinking, if you weren't using your receiver and a TV, wouldn't your meter go off for any satellite you happened to be aiming it at? Did I get that right?

:confused:

-Rob

Just wondering, if there are no settings on the meter, do you just move your dish around until you hit a signal? I'm just wondering, wouldn't it be possible (if you were way off) to pick up another satellite signal (as opposed to the one you were looking for)?

Now, I suppose you would have your receive on too, which would hopefully tell you which satellite you were on specifically.

But I'm just thinking, if you weren't using your receiver and a TV, wouldn't your meter go off for any satellite you happened to be aiming it at? Did I get that right?

-Rob

You make sure your adjustments are the right ones for your area on your dish.Then with the signal meter inline/with the receiver and TV on your ready to find your signal.Most signal meters make a tone noise that helps you peak your dish.Once you achieve the strongest tone you lean on the bottom of the dish/if you don't hear a change in your tone your OK.Also check the sides of the dish for
tone change.If there is any change you need to readjust the dish accordingly.
Then with a channel chart you can make sure your getting all the channels in your subscription.
Well that's about it but if your a new customer both satellite providers offer FREE installation.Good Luck!:) P.S. Make sure your mount is level.

Last edited:
P.S. Make sure your mount is level.

I usually don't worry about level or plumb at all. I can eyeball it fairly straight most of the time and just compensate by wiggling the dish around until I get some sort of a singal.

-Rob

With a signal meter, YES you would pick up various sats when you hit them, the differece being, you would get no picture on the TV unless it was a sat that D* uses.

I think they have sat signal finders that tell you what sat your hitting, but they are way too expesive for me, seeing I only do dish installs a few time a year.

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)