Using a Hopper in an RV with multiple In-Motion satellite dishes?

mwilsonii

Original poster
Aug 2, 2014
Ok, so I've been searching and reading for a couple of days now, and I understand that the reason I cannot use a Hopper with an in-motion satellite, other than the HD sensitivity, is that it can only tune in one satellite at a time and maybe that it is unable to switch between satellites quick enough during the system check.

My question is, is there a way to use multiple in-motion satellite dishes to resolve this issue? For example, if the hopper needs to access three different satellites, can I install three in-motion satellite dishes and purpose them each their own satellite?

I know that this is an expensive proposition, but I would be willing to pay the premium to, "Have it all," so to speak.

As for the sensitivity of the Hard Drives in the Hopper, I could just find a way to shock mount the receiver and hope for the best.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

It seems like something like this would be possible using the Dish Duo Node (ES185836).

Ok, so I've been searching and reading for a couple of days now, and I understand that the reason I cannot use a Hopper with an in-motion satellite, other than the HD sensitivity, is that it can only tune in one satellite at a time and maybe that it is unable to switch between satellites quick enough during the system check.
The Duo Node won't solve the problem.

I don't understand the "HD Sensitivity" statement. A Dish LNBF can receive HD content from any satellite it can connect to. DirecTV had the HD issue with domes.

I guess if you ran three domes, each focused on one of the satellites, into a multi-switch, which will make all three signals available on a connected cable and then connect the multi-switch to the Solo Node, it could work.

Each dome would have to be set to stay focused on just one satellite, I not sure that is an option fro the dome. Also, the Hopper/Solo would have to believe that there isn't a DPP500 or DPP1000.2 beyond the multi-switch. Again this get back to what the dome can be configured.

And finally, maybe the Hopper/Solo expects only DPP1000.2/DPP1000.4 dishes and can't be fooled by a multi-switch.

A lot of complexity for receiving TV will moving. (Who is going to be watching?) For receiving TV stationary, nothing beats the Winegard Trav'ler

I was referring to the sensitivity of the internal Hard Drive. Sorry, I'm an IT guy, we always abbreviate them as HD. I can see how this could be confusing concerning the topic. lol

I just did some quick research. The KVH TracVision RV1 will allow you to set it to track a single specific satellite.

I lost one hard drive in 8 years on the road, all with DVRs, and that was early on and I had the DVR overheating because of closed space in the RV slide.

I added a power muffin fan assembly and haven't had a problem since.

You could probably get by with just tracking two satellites, depending on your programming needs. I just cut your dome expenses by 1/3.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts