using a primestar dish for ku band fta

Status
Please reply by conversation.

htownjoe

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 7, 2007
splendora tx
hello everyone. i just bought a 40 inch primestar dish in hopes to get the ku birds and all the ku wild feeds and was wondering if any of you have ever used one for your ku fta channels? i like the mount on it with the azimuth and the skew it looks like it will be a good bracket for marking where to adjust for the different satellites. is the lnb on it good for fta or is it like the dish net and direct tv ones where you cant get the fta? i havent put it up yet and was gonna get some imput before i played with it. thanks guys! joe

These are perfect for Ku FTA, search around here a bit, you will find several of us that are using them.

That's a good recent thread.
But for the mutha of all motorized Primestar threads, you might want go back a bit further.

If you're just going to aim it at a single bird, then the existing mount is fine.
...and the existing LNB should get you going.
But there are at least three different types of LNBs usually found on those dishes, so a good description or a few pictures would let the guys advise you better.

Any of the Primestar LNBFs should be fine for FTA. If you have the one that has two outputs marked "H" and "V" you need to combine them with a standard multiswitch.

well i am putting the dish up after work today. does anyone have any tips on how much elevation lift is used to go from sat to sat? i will make a chart for what elevation each sat is on as i go and i figure each sat isnt too far over since most are 2 degrees apart. it should be fun! if anyone can give me any pointers on finding the arc with one of these i appreciate it! it isnt too hard to track the sats with these brackets is it? thanks guys!

Input your Zip Code to this program, and it'll make you a PDF list of all the satellites in the sky.
Complete with all the aiming info.

And just because the birds are 2º apart in the arc, that doesn't mean they are 2º apart for purposes of aiming.

If this winds up being a little too much work, there is a trick having to do with tilting the pole your dish is mounted on...
... then all you need to do to move across the arc, is just pivot the dish on the pole.
No elevation change on your dish mount is necessary.

btw, why is this thread in the C-band section??

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts