Using a splitter on a new Dish install

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

eagle2

Original poster
Jul 20, 2005
Hello Everybody.

I just switched over from DirecTV To Dish yesterday. I told the installer that I wanted new cable ran from the antenna to the back of my model 522. Since I already had two holes in my wall from using my DirecTV duel tuner receiver they would only need to put one additional hole in the wall to bring out the wiring for TV2 in our front room. I even told them that they could patch into one of the 10-month-old cable that Direct had installed for this purpose..

They ran new twin lead coaxial to the outside of my wall but then rather than put the third hole in the wall they used one hole to bring out the coaxial for the TV 2 and only ran 1 lead through the other hole and then used a splitter to connect both of the tuners on the model 522.

My question is, by using this splitter inside the house to connect the one L. N. B. to the duel tuner model 522, am I losing any functionality or quality compared to bringing both new lines inside the house and connecting 1 LNB and the one tuner and the other LNB and the other tuner?

To be quite honest I am a newbie at this and it gets quite confusing. I'm having enough trouble trying to learn the 522 unit and the two different remotes.

However, at this point in time, based on my brief viewing of the dish programming last night, I think I am going to be much happier with Dish that I was with Direct.

In advance thank you for your response.

eagle2

Trying to boil down your post, but basically you want to know if one lead apparently split into the two tuners of the 522 is ok. Yes it is. E* uses a technology called DishProPlus in the switch and receiver that allows two tuners to be fed with only one line. BTW, it's not called a splitter; it's called a DishProPlus (DPP or DP+) separator.

eagle2 said:
My question is, by using this splitter inside the house to connect the one L. N. B. to the duel tuner model 522, am I losing any functionality or quality compared to bringing both new lines inside the house and connecting 1 LNB and the one tuner and the other LNB and the other tuner?
No. You don't lose any functionality or quality.

In simplified terms, each LNB has two polarities of signals. Each coax cable is capable of carrying two polarities. With older equipment, the coax would only carry the polarities from a single LNB. With Dish Pro Plus technology, the polarities can come from different LNBs.

Thank you Kavula, and thanks to Cdru as well, for your quick and informative responses.

I checked the nomenclature on the device installed by Dish and you are both correct it is a D P Separator number 123254.

This is really good to know and a great relief to me. I thought the installer was giving me the runaround and just not wanting to put another hole in the wall, which of course I don’t really want or need.

Again, thank you both for your timely response.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)