Using a stand alone dish positioner?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

delta_charlie

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 12, 2008
Hi all, been wanting to get my 10 foot C-band dish back in full order. The old Sat receiver that I was using to position the dish died and I have been stuck on just one Sat.

I'm thinking a stand alone positioner might be best - don't want to run new coax.

Have not setup or used one before, anything to be aware of?

Thanks for any help, DC

Wait a little while and get the Titaniumsatellite positioner would be the option I'd do. Otherwise it's a VBox. Think the last model is an "X". I run a GBox, but they have been discontinued. Can search the site and web for more info on those. Titanium, well they are a member here, So think you'll have the best 'after purchase' support with it.

The only thing available right now is a DMSI VBox VII. The PowerMax VBox X is no longer available. And so is the GBox. The Titanium Satellite ACSI positioner is expected to be available in November. Don't hold your breath ;) but I am also waiting to get my hands on one. So if you can't wait, do this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/VBOX7-Satel...099?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27d7a066f3
Also a member on this forum :)

The only thing available right now is a DMSI VBox VII. The PowerMax VBox X is no longer available. And so is the GBox. The Titanium Satellite ACSI positioner is expected to be available in November. Don't hold your breath ;) but I am also waiting to get my hands on one. So if you can't wait, do this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/VBOX7-Satel...099?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27d7a066f3
Also a member on this forum :)

I've got two of these dish movers in two separate systems moving two 7.5 ft mesh dishes and had no problems. But I'm constantly changing all of my dishes as the satellites change their systems also. DVB to DVB-S2 is a good example. I have a 5ft C Band dish that works fine, but is limited in the channels it gets, so I replaced it with one of those two 7.5ft dishes I mentioned. They work fine also, but must be fine tuned where they are right on the money. Now i have a 10 ft mesh to pick up within a week and will change everything again...

Going to have a give away fire sale in central california here soon.

Posted Via The SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Well, for my positioning experience, it really does depend on what type, size, brand, and agedness; a big dish is in before I talk about which positioner I use. For instance, if you have a Venture ball actuator and a 36 vdc motor (brand new or used type) or a chain drive unit; the best would be an old boat anchor 4dtv 920/922. If I have a 6 footer or even a 7.5 footer (depends on the new LNBf or OLD LNB TOO) that are lightweights; then any old/new 1.2 positioner box, even an old Samsung (can't remember the model) with actuator control wires WILL WORK. This is where the problem is, the C Band dish must be new, or brought into working order for any of them to work. And they must never have been plugged in while hooking up the wires! And they must never have been hooked up and used with any wire in a wrong position! And they are not easy to handle if they are 10 foot or larger!

?Even the newest Commercial grade boxes work this way still. They just cost over 4500.00 US.

Update - I ended up getting a Vbox 7 and seem to have it working well now. When I first installed it I kept getting the Er2 message but it was only in one direction (East) The dish would move to the West fine with the counts showing but when I would try to go back to the East Er2.

I pulled the bearing cap from the motor and sprayed some WD-40 inside and then used a hand drill to grip the end of the motor shaft and drive the dish back to the East with the hand drill. Perhaps that freed up the thing as it is working in both directions now.

Just got my V Box VII in today and it's working great, much easier than using the old receiver to move the dish, night and day.

Not much info on the Titanium positioner.
Like how much and will it work with my old 10"?
Using a Uniden to push the dish is a pain but it has
been working for years. Seems like using it until
it dies would be a good decision money wise and see
how the Titanium reviews turn out.
Also never heard of this company.

Not much info on the Titanium positioner.
Like how much and will it work with my old 10"?
Using a Uniden to push the dish is a pain but it has
been working for years. Seems like using it until
it dies would be a good decision money wise and see
how the Titanium reviews turn out.
Also never heard of this company.
This is a new company. However the man behind the company has been in the satellite industry forever. He has produced a long line of excellent products and support.
I am also curious about the price. It definitely is designed to be the most capable positioner for home use made to date. That and the expected quality of this product makes me think it won't be $37 shipped, but closer to what you would expect of a great piece of equipment made to last.

I HOPE it does the double edge-count like the Gbox v3000 did as I just can't find one of those anywhere, and nobody wants to sell one if they have one.

Double edge counts don't increase resolution or accuracy. The motor will still park in the same position, but the display count is doubled. The Titanium Satellite ASC1 resolution is an extremely accurate 50hz. Most other controllers are maxed out at 20 or 30 pulses per second and drop counts if more are received.

The only way to increase resolution provided by the dish movement is to increase the number of contact closures reported per degree traveled. This can be accomplished by increasing the number of triggers (magnets) on the switch or on polar type mounts, installing a longer throw actuator and moving the outer attachment further away from the pivot point.

Double edge counts don't increase resolution or accuracy. The motor will still park in the same position, but the display count is doubled. The Titanium Satellite ASC1 resolution is an extremely accurate 50hz. Most other controllers are maxed out at 20 or 30 pulses per second and drop counts if more are received.

The only way to increase resolution provided by the dish movement is to increase the number of contact closures reported per degree traveled. This can be accomplished by increasing the number of triggers (magnets) on the switch or on polar type mounts, installing a longer throw actuator and moving the outer attachment further away from the pivot point.

That's great! Now I know I have to get one. Hopefully sooner than later, as we are about to go into our 6 months of winter here, lol.
Otherwise known as "build a fire to warm your hands while you work on the dishes for a few minutes at a time" season.

Thanks!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts