Using a VIP211 as a DVR?

So, let me see if I've got this straight:

Adding an external USB hard drive to a ViP211 has been announced. (Availability date?)

With the drive, a ViP211 has full DVR functionality.

The fee is $40 one time charge per household. (So if you have a ViP211 and a ViP622/722, and you want external drives on both, you only have to pay one fee?)

The drives are currently locked to the box, but you will be able to move them between boxes in the future. (Now? When??)

Please correct and/or add if you have more information.

This could also fantastic for those of us that want to take HD recordings on the road.

Right now they are saying you have 3 moves of the EHD before it needs to be re-formated so:

1. buy a little 20-30 gig USB drive like those to used by road warriors with their laptops.

2. When you know you're going away, plug it into your 6/722 and load the shows (sd -OR- hd!!!) you'd like to see.

3. pack your little USB drive and a 211.

4. When you get someplace, plug the 211 into any TV (even a pocket dish!) or motel room TV and plug in the EHD and watch away!

Dare I dream this?

Possible catches:

1. The three move rule will not include the 211.

2.The 211 won't work like 5/6/722s do when they let you view recordings without a satellite signal.

3. They try a "phone home" check before they accept the EHD or play recordings

Update on Vip211 as a DVR from CES

I asked the presenters at CES2008 yesterday about the Vip211 record capability. They got me talking to Don Doury, and said he's the product manager for the VIP211 hard drive/DVR project. Don explained that the product WILL launch 2nd quarter of this year. He said the product was completely ready for launch, then the hardware group mucked things up by announcing the VIP211k. While the specs are 100% the same, the 211k has all new circuitry inside, more efficient cpu, etc. The programming team has to redo much of their work to be compatible with the 211k, and they won't make USB DVR available to customers until they can support both the 211 and 211k.

I asked if it'll be $40-50 one time charge to start using a customer owned USB Hd, and if there will not be a DVR fee. He said that's not finalized yet. There may or may not be a one time charge, but he expects that there will be BOTH a one time fee plus a reduced price DVR fee. When I asked how much exactly he said he would picture a DVR fee as we know it now at 5.99 for 2 tuners, so a one tuner would logically be worth half that price. I said customers will be a bit upset if they have to not only provide the HD equipment plus pay monthly.

to summarize:
-2008/2Q
-likely a one time fee under $50
-likely some kind of DVR fee ($3/month?)
-no $5/month fee for no phone line hookup since it's single tuner

Last edited:
I asked the presenters at CES2008 yesterday about the Vip211 record capability. They got me talking to Don Doury, and said he's the product manager for the VIP211 hard drive/DVR project. Don explained that the product WILL launch 2nd quarter of this year. He said the product was completely ready for launch, then the hardware group mucked things up by announcing the VIP211k. While the specs are 100% the same, the 211k has all new circuitry inside, more efficient cpu, etc. The programming team has to redo much of their work to be compatible with the 211k, and they won't make USB DVR available to customers until they can support both the 211 and 211k.

I asked if it'll be $40 one time charge to start using a customer owned USB Hd, and if there will not be a DVR fee. He said that's not finalized yet. There may or may not be a one time charge, but he expects that there will be BOTH a one time fee plus a reduced price DVR fee. He said picture a DVR fee at 5.99 and tell me how much per tuner that equals.

to summarize:
-2008/2Q

I keep seeing VIP211 but will it work with the VIP222s as well? Could you ask I will be grateful :D

ViP222 is a future add on... again... different box, different circuitry. I'm just praying 411 is supported... it's a 211 with simply no ethernet last I checked...

I asked the presenters at CES2008 yesterday about the Vip211 record capability....

I asked if it'll be $40-50 one time charge to start using a customer owned USB Hd, and if there will not be a DVR fee. He said that's not finalized yet. There may or may not be a one time charge, but he expects that there will be BOTH a one time fee plus a reduced price DVR fee. When I asked how much exactly he said he would picture a DVR fee as we know it now at 5.99 for 2 tuners, so a one tuner would logically be worth half that price. I said customers will be a bit upset if they have to not only provide the HD equipment plus pay monthly.

to summarize:
-2008/2Q

Did you hear anything about whether the 211 EHD will work in the same customers 6/722? (to play 722 recordings on the 211 and vice versa)

VIP222 dish network receiver with external usb drive support and wireless networkable

Any word yet on the external hard drive support for the vip222? Also, when is it going to be able to be networked so we can watch tv over our computers through the ethernet port hooked up to the wireless router? I am looking forward to recording satellite to my computer or to the external hard drive so I can get perfect digital files WITH 5.1 DOLBY SUPPORT!!! I hate not having the capabilities of saving the 5.1 dolby with the satellite signal. I have yet to find a satellite receiver or some unit that will save 5.1 with the video file.

Any suggestions on any of this post???

So if I buy a 750GB hard drive for my 211 I can watch a live show and record another program at the same time? Or is it like a VCR with a cable box where it needs to be on the same channel thru the whole movie? I can also pause live tv b/c the remote has the DVR buttons?

Also with a 750GB how much HD and SD storage can that hold?

So if I buy a 750GB hard drive for my 211 I can watch a live show and record another program at the same time? Or is it like a VCR with a cable box where it needs to be on the same channel thru the whole movie? I can also pause live tv b/c the remote has the DVR buttons?
The 211 has one OTA HD tuner (ATSC) and one satellite tuner. Your options will be:

1) Record OTA: watch same OTA channel, watch satellite channel, watch previously recorded program.
2) Record satellite: watch same satellite channel, watch OTA channel, watch previously recorded program.
I believe you will also be able to simultaneously record satellite and OTA. You would then be able to watch either of the programs being recorded or a previously recorded program.
Also with a 750GB how much HD and SD storage can that hold?
Depends. Compression ratios fluctuate depending on the content. MPEG4 is a huge improvement over MPEG2 (at least for HD), so you will be able to store more of it. Mixing MPEG2/MPEG4 and SD/HD further complicates things. If you search a little, there are some threads discussing the size of MPEG4 recordings as compared to the same MPEG2 recordings. You might try keywords like MPEG4 and Encoder.

ok, dumb question - but will the software have the same recording features of say, the 722? does anyone know what the software capabilities will be like?
thanks

It is expected to have the same interface as the other ViP series DVRs. The only differences you will notice have to do with the hardware capabilities: single (not dual) sat tuner, etc. If you are happy with a 622 or 722 you should be happy with the 211 DVR feature.

I would - if I could do so without spending any more money! The dual tuner would be nice, but then I might as well go with another 622. No, I'd rather live with my 211 and wait for the next generation of receivers that will incorporate sling technology.

Not to start a HD-rant, but we're within a week or so of May. There hasn't been any mention from Dish about adding an external hard drive to the Vip211. Anyone think this is going to happen in the next few weeks?

// Scott A
Exactly!

Come on insiders, what's the story?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts