Using a WSI DMX242 with 22KHz problem

Status
Please reply by conversation.
mcguyver
I got some bad news for ya. I cannot duplicate the issue you are having. I obtained the DMX242 and wanted to try to duplicate the issue you are having. I took the picture you posted in post 1 and duplicated it EXACTLY as you have posted. I actually did a fair amount of different test setups

Original setup
one DMSI diesec was port 1,2,3 were random LNB's...2 KU and one C-Band (Geosatpro)
port 4 was from the 242...cable run was 50 feet from the 242 LNB to switch (all I had laying around)

2nd DMSI diseqc had ports 1 & 2 were random LNB's. Port 3 was the other port of the GeosatPro
port 4 had a Sadoun 22k switch on it..0K off was a DBS LNB and 22k on was from the 242...cable run was 50 feet to the 22k switch then 25 feet from the 22k switch to the diseqc. Again I wanted to try and duplicate what you were working with.

receivers used in testing were GeosatPro 200, Pansat 1500, Viacast DBS1500. Hooked GeosatPro to 1st diseqc and Pansat to 2nd one (with the 22K). C-Band dish for the 242 was aimed at 91W C-Band.
Brought up CW transponder and selected port 4 22k on the Pansat. Immediately the quality went to 90-92. The GeosatPro wasnt even powered on yet. Powered it on and everything worked fine on both reicevers. I swapped ports on the 2nd diseqc switch to port 3 and swapped the Pansat and GeosatPro. Brought up 91W on the GeosatPro and selected port 3 22k on and right away I had 85 quality on it. Pansat worked fine too. Took the GeosatPro out and put in my Viacast 1500 which is a bottom of the barrel reciever. 10 TP entry no blind scan etc....I normally use it for G16 C-Band :)

Programmed in the transponder info and diseqc and hit "scan" and within 3 seconds I had a lock (which is normal) opn the CW channels. So I knew it was working.

I did spend the next hour or so swapping out 22k switches, diseqcs and receivers trying to duplicate it. I tried Sadoun & ecoda 22k switches and a variety of brands of Diseqc switches. Receivers would lock the signal everytime.

I tried one other setup. I swapped out my C-Band LNB on the 99W fixed dish I have (my main setup) and tried it with that setup. Those 2 ports were hooked up to a 4x4 multiswitch which 3 of the outputs go to diseqc switches. I swapped the inputs on the 4x4 to make the 99W dish be on the 22k side and the azbox locked it right away. Tried the Sathawk and Pansat on this setup and it locked each time right away.

It just seems weird that you have tried numerous setups like I have and are having issues much less have 2 bad LNB's. I really don't know what to tell you McGuyver but I tried 5 receivers, 3 different brands of diseqc switches and 3 different types of 22k switches (2 normal ones and a 4x4) and cannot duplicate the issue.

Sorry

Last edited:
Thanks Iceberg for all your testing, I suspect it's a compatibility issue with certain other lnb's such as the Panorama ER861 that I paired the DMX242 with. I just received my shipment of new 22KHz switches today and will test again in the next coming days.

It's been a real mystery but with time I hope to find the problem. I didn't think the 242's were bad otherwise I would have returned them at the first offer to do so but I chose not.

I'll let you know what happens when I get some results. Thanks again very much, you are da man! :D

The LNB's that were hooked to the 22k switches when I did my testing were
1. GeosatPro C2 (for the 1st setup)
2. Sadoun dual KU .4 LNB (for the 2nd setup)

Hope we get it figured out :)

yes
1st was Sadoun 22k
then I switched to a ecoda

when I did the 2nd setup with the fixed dish at 99W (my normal setup) that was a zinwell 4x4 multiswitch....well its more of a 4x3 multiswitch....output 1 is blown ;)

yes
1st was Sadoun 22k
then I switched to a ecoda

when I did the 2nd setup with the fixed dish at 99W (my normal setup) that was a zinwell 4x4 multiswitch....well its more of a 4x3 multiswitch....output 1 is blown ;)

another question, during testing, did you have both outputs on the 242 occupied, connected to 2 receivers?

I don't think it would make any diff but thought I'd ask. it might be worth testing that way too if you have the time :D

yep. Had one hooked through the diseqc switch to the Pansat and the other going through a 22k and diseqc to a Geosat. Both receivers on at same time and only one on

also swapped the recievers around

Iceberg,

Thanks for taking the time to test the DMX242 dual C band LNBF. I really appreciate your help and taking the time to post your results.

McGuyver,

Try eliminating one LNBF at a time until the problem goes away, then you can figure out if it is in fact a LNBF issue or not. I personally doubt it could be related to any of the LNBFs. I will continue to try to figure out what could be the issue, but please share with us if you find out.

Hi Robby, in fact the problem was first discovered with only 2 lnb's on the dish, the other 3 lnb's were added later. As I stated in previous posts, I initially setup one lnb on the dish, it was the DMX242 alone, and then after adding a second lnb and pairing them on a 22khz switch is when the problem showed up. This was discovered at the dish site with one good working receiver and a TV running straight to the stb without any other switch besides the 22k. I then tried another 22k and another and another and after trying I think 8 switches I tried swapping ports, tried them alone and by that time I noticed that all the switches were smoked. Here's something to note, at first attempt using a 22k switch I did have a working pair but only momentarily. I spent many hours testing the 22k switches with other receivers and lnb's only to discover they were no longer working. I then decided to try a diseqc switch and then everything worked so I just ran separate coax feeds for both lnb's. Then later I added one lnb at a time without a 22khz, each lnb now has a separate feed line. This is why I had told you I was afraid to further test anymore 22khz switches knowing that if 8 burned out, chances are others will too. I have yet to conduct further tests but at this point it's futile because it will serve no purpose to me to change my current working configuration with individual feed lines. I have all 5 lnb's now switching through a Digiwave DGS-SW8X1 Diseqc 1.1 switch and it all works. I see no point for me to burn up more $$$ in more switches.

With this said I guess the battle is over and in the future I will buy another brand of lnb's regardless of Iceberg's test results or others. I hope you can understand my position. Maybe these two DMX242 lnb's are defective but I am not going to pay return shipping when we don't know for sure what the problem is. this could end up costing me a lot of $$$ and headaches and I think I'll just let it go from this point.

I truly appreciate your time and efforts for trying to resolve this issue. I know it's frustrating and it certainly has been for me, especially me the consumer. We live and sometimes learn from our experiences, I only wish that I learned something from this.

So let's just let it go, no need to beat a dead horse anymore.

Respectfully,
McGuyver

BTW, look at pics #10 &11 in this thread, post #269
http://www.satelliteguys.us/fta-shack/131140-pics-dish-farm-post-yours-too-27.html

you'll see the initial installation of the DMX242 and then the others in pic 11 where I had to run separate feeds.

Here's a photo of the first 2 lnb's ever installed as a pair, both brand new and this is when the problem was discovered.
SatelliteGuys Photo Gallery - 2xlnb_on_mesh_dish - Powered by PhotoPost

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)