Using both FTA and Dishnet receivers at the same time?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Slickums

Original poster
Sep 9, 2009
Mexico
What is the best way to setup both a FTA and Dishnet receiver on the same dishes?

Let's say I have 3 individual 1m dishes looking at 110/119/129. I want to connect them to 1 Dishnet receiver and 1 FTA receiver.

Recommendations on:

Type of LNB to use? (i.e. Legacy, DP, etc)
Type of switch to use? (Diseqc, SW34, etc)

Thanks!

What is the best way to setup both a FTA and Dishnet receiver on the same dishes?

Let's say I have 3 individual 1m dishes looking at 110/119/129. I want to connect them to 1 Dishnet receiver and 1 FTA receiver.

Recommendations on:

Type of LNB to use? (i.e. Legacy, DP, etc)
Type of switch to use? (Diseqc, SW34, etc)

Thanks!

Slickums,

You won't have much luck combining FTA with DN or DirecTV or other subscription services from the same dish. You are better served with an individual dish for the subscription services and a separate motorized (larger) dish for the FTA services.

RADAR

I can see why you are using 1m dishes to get DishNetwork service in Mexico.
I'd use DishPro LNBFs, and feed 'em through a DP34 DishNet switch for your Dish subscription.
The FTA receiver can plug into the DP34 just fine (use diseqc commands), but as described above, won't do much.

The solution would be different for DirecTV, but again, their and DishNet's LNBFs are circular and pointed at the wrong birds for any actual FTA reception.
(and set for the wrong portion of the band, too! )

Likewise, you do NOT want to motorize/move any of the dishes used for your subscripton.
The subscription receiver check with its respective satellites behind your back to get guide and update info.
If it finds one of its satellites missing, it doesn't handle that very well. ;)

Other than repeating what AcWx and Turbo had to say above, I think that about covers it. :)

But just for experimenting sake. I have added my dish subscription dish and other fixed dishes to my motorized FTA setup, using an 8 port uncommitted switch.

Attachments

• SatTVdiagramcurrent.jpg
    SatTVdiagramcurrent.jpg
    410.4 KB · Views: 400
I can see why you are using 1m dishes to get DishNetwork service in Mexico.
I'd use DishPro LNBFs, and feed 'em through a DP34 DishNet switch for your Dish subscription.
The FTA receiver can plug into the DP34 just fine (use diseqc commands), but as described above, won't do much.

The solution would be different for DirecTV, but again, their and DishNet's LNBFs are circular and pointed at the wrong birds for any actual FTA reception.
(and set for the wrong portion of the band, too! )

Likewise, you do NOT want to motorize/move any of the dishes used for your subscripton.
The subscription receiver check with its respective satellites behind your back to get guide and update info.
If it finds one of its satellites missing, it doesn't handle that very well. ;)

Other than repeating what AcWx and Turbo had to say above, I think that about covers it. :)

Ok, FTA IS compatible with the DP34 and DPLNBFs; that is what I was looking for! (And yes, I understand bout the signals on DNs sats not being "true FTA").

Next question is, Will a typical FTA receiver power the DP34 OK, or MUST there be a DN receiver attached and "on" to power it?? i.e. if I power the DN receiver off or remove it for some reason, will the FTA receiver still be able to power the DP34 for switch control?

Thanks!

Ok, FTA IS compatible with the DP34 and DPLNBFs; that is what I was looking for! (And yes, I understand bout the signals on DNs sats not being "true FTA").

Next question is, Will a typical FTA receiver power the DP34 OK, or MUST there be a DN receiver attached and "on" to power it?? i.e. if I power the DN receiver off or remove it for some reason, will the FTA receiver still be able to power the DP34 for switch control?

Thanks!

Slickums,

If I recall correctly, the DP34 switch requires a DN receiver to be attached to port #1 and turned ON to supply power for the switch. I was informed that a FTA receiver would not supply sufficient power to operate the switch. That may vary depending upon the FTA receiver, though.

Here is a PDF for the DP34 instructions: http://www.sadoun.com/Sat/Products/Dishnetwork/Dishes/DISH_Pro_DP34_Installation_Guide.pdf

RADAR

dual output LNBs and separate cables and switching for each receiver. An Invacom qph-031 has circular output also. It would appear as a Legacy LNB. If you are also using a fixed dish I think you would need to swap to all Legacy LNBs and use a dp34 switch(dp44?) Aim the dish with the FTA receiver. You would need to do a check-switch every time you moved the dish.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts