Using box somewhere else

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

aprils280zx

Original poster
Nov 8, 2009
Charlotte NC
we have Tuesday night movies it is always ay my house because they have basic Dish and I have preium chanels is there anyway to take my box and channels to her house.... they have 5 kids that come with them to my house hers is easier! ?

Yes you can do that, but Dish does not like it. If you have the same exact dish setup then a check switch should not have to be performed.

Yes you can do that, but Dish does not like it.
Let's be more specific lest anyone get the wrong idea:
DISH Network Residential Agreement said:
H. Private Home Viewing Only. DISH Network provides Services to you solely for viewing, use and enjoyment in your private home. You agree that no Services provided to you will be viewed in areas open to the public, commercial establishments or other residential locations.

Thanks

I know but it would always come home with me and I also have a camper that I would like to learn how to take my box with me if I bought another dish without having to pay for a box that is only used occasionally so I thought the method might be the same

I'm just making sure that you understand that what you propose is a violation of the Residential Customer Agreement that you're engaged in.

Many have rationalized that they are either not bound by the agreement or that it doesn't matter and that is up to them.

you'll be okay. your not really splitting your account between two houses. you could invite them over to watch it so its technically the same. leaving it there for a month or more would be account packing.. but really, its not a huge deal

Many have rationalized that they are either not bound by the agreement or that it doesn't matter and that is up to them.

thats right. Lots of us do take a receiver to the cabin/camper/lakehouse/cottage/whatever you call it for the weekend. Been doing it for 10 years now and have had ZERO issues :)

Just like you like to spew that line in every post that is like this I'll spew mine :)

Yes, best refer to this is a cabin/camper, etc. They you should not have problems. But DON'T connect your box to your sister's house telephone or broadband.

For what it is worth: Dish would have gladly allowed external HDD's to be taken from one account and played back at another Dish account, like your sister's or neighbor's. That is a reasonable example of sharing among private parties content that is not and act of piracy. However, the content providers, mostly the big movie studios, require Dish to make such technology in operable in its external HDD feature. So, now the movie studios have good people like you in the position of having to be a little sly with Dish, or any of the service providers, as they have the same restrictions. Yes, how great DMCR is to our great country. Funny, because you can by a DVD and take that to your sister's and show it. But, if the movie studios could get away with it, they would force implementation of technology that would have your DVD or Blu-ray play on only the player you own, so you can't play it at your sister's and you would have to buy the DVD or Blu-ray again, but that would cause a huge firestorm of backlash. The content providers really do believe that when you purchase their content, you "ethically" only have the right to view it at your home ONLY.

People do it all the time. Got to a Virginia Tech football game (or, I assume, any other big school) - the pre-game tailgates in the various parking lots have a number of dishes, along with hugh HD TVs under tents. Pretty sure the Dishes aren't set up in the parking lot permanently. :)

I think the difference with this situation is that he is taking the receiver WITH him and not leaving it there, same as going to a second home. Just don't tell Dish about it because depending on who you would talk to they might contact the audit nazi's then you could have problems for now on with them.

Just like you like to spew that line in every post that is like this I'll spew mine :)
I'm not "spewing" anything. Someone asked and I cited the official answer. That you haven't been caught means that they either don't care or you've been lucky thus far. That you're willing to risk trying someone else's luck based on personal experience and that of a few acquaintances is living on the edge.

I'm not "spewing" anything.
every time someone asks bout it, you throw the same line out. So I threw my line out
That you haven't been caught means that they either don't care or you've been lucky thus far. That you're willing to risk trying someone else's luck based on personal experience and that of a few acquaintances is living on the edge.

I'm not the only one....see above :)
and Dish honestly doesnt care...just like they dont care about "movers"

I have a receiver in my RV. Not only do they know about it, they helped me set it up. They must not have recognized my pirate outfit (I only watch movies rated Argh) ;)

Called dish a few months back to add a new receiver for a detached garage on my property, The dish on the house could not be cabled to the garage, so the installer added a 2nd (1000.2) dish. The scheduling CSR didn't care, but the installer questioned it, which I thought was odd.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)