Using ceiling speakers with a joey - how

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

rexlan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 15, 2009
I am not at my home with the Joey and have a question. I put ceiling speakers in the master bedroom of my new home and want to have the TV audio go to them.

I have a standard Joey in the room (2 years old). I use the HDMI cable to the TV but it has no pass through audio or output audio. Using the HDMI out on the joey will I still have audio output on the audio jacks?

If I do have audio on the Joey output how can I control the volume and what is the level on those jacks (can I use a small amp to power the ceiling speakers?

Thank you

The audio jacks on the Joey have no amplification. You will need to add an amplifier between the Joey and the speakers. Once that is set up you will set the amp to a comfortable audio level and the Joey can fine tune that by turning volume up and down.

We are using a Bluetooth transmitter on the Joey to an amplifies speaker.
The trouble is that he already mounted speakers in his ceiling. Also, the amp he will need also needs to be addressable by the Joey. He can't put an old Realistic amp from Radio Shack in and expect the Joey to be able to talk to it. There are a number of reasonably inexpensive AVRs out there though that the Joey will work fine with.

So I actually need an AVR to make this work? I guess I could take the HDMI from the joey with that and run the AVR to the TV and speakers????

I did not realize that the TV didn't have a bypass audio output ... now it seems rather complicated.

Just to add one more thing before going through alot of trouble (if it really is complicated) Ceiling speakers may not be great for watching TV unless you keep speakers at the TV active also. It can be great for music etc but when watching someone talk on TV when the sound does not come from where you are watching it may seem like timing is off, or just never quite right. Something to think about and if you can try somehow to have the sound not coming from the TV area before going to alot of trouble to get it working. (It's why a good center speaker can be important in a system for watching TV)

For about $40 you can get a mini amplifier that has RCA inputs to connect to the Joey;s RCA audio outputs. You can connect it to up to 4 speakers. It has its own remote so you can adjust it and then let the Joey remote control the volume. See as an example: Amazon product ASIN B0073WTG6M .
This is an excellent choice. You will have to use both remotes, however, because that make of amplifiers is not in the list of amps that can be controlled directly by the Joey...

Reactions: TheKrell
This is an excellent choice. You will have to use both remotes, however, because that make of amplifiers is not in the list of amps that can be controlled directly by the Joey...

Does the Joey have a learning remote? It could get some codes that way. I have an off off off brand of signal switcher that the VIP learning remote was able to get the codes to switch inputs.

Reactions: DWS44
Yes they do. But they are just that, audio outputs. They don't connect directly to speakers, they connect to TVs, AVRs, etc...

That's what I would expect. But then you wrote this:
He can't put an old Realistic amp from Radio Shack in and expect the Joey to be able to talk to it. There are a number of reasonably inexpensive AVRs out there though that the Joey will work fine with.

Why in the heck wouldn't an old Realistic amp work just fine (assuming it still works at all)? Why do you recommend an AVR for this? To split off the audio on the HDMI jack? Ah, I think I now read that you are working the volume control problem, which is not strictly speaking a Joey issue but rather the "universal" remote issue. Did I get that right?

This is off-topic, but I used to go to Radio Shack for electronic parts... Until I started getting parts that broke when getting them out of the package!

That's what I would expect. But then you wrote this:

Why in the heck wouldn't an old Realistic amp work just fine (assuming it still works at all)? Why do you recommend an AVR for this? To split off the audio on the HDMI jack? Ah, I think I now read that you are working the volume control problem, which is not strictly speaking a Joey issue but rather the "universal" remote issue. Did I get that right?

This is off-topic, but I used to go to Radio Shack for electronic parts... Until I started getting parts that broke when getting them out of the package!
Actually the Radio Shack amp would work but you'd probably have to adjust the volume at the amp each time. And yes, it's the volume control that is in question. Now, I forgot about the learning remote aspect. The 40 remote is a learning remote as well so all, potentially, is good.

Reactions: TheKrell
For about $40 you can get a mini amplifier that has RCA inputs to connect to the Joey;s RCA audio outputs. You can connect it to up to 4 speakers. It has its own remote so you can adjust it and then let the Joey remote control the volume. See as an example: Amazon product ASIN B0073WTG6M .

That looks perfect. I have a small Pyle unit but it does not have a remote so it will not work. I will order one of these - thanks.

The application is in the master bedroom and I watch a little news before I go to sleep and I will also use the TV speakers with it.

Thanks to all. I have it figured out now !!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)