Using DirecTV DVR without a landline???

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

jross04

Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
A buddy of mine bought a Tivo recently and doesn't have a landline at home. He was able to do the initial setup of the Tivo at his dad's (his dad has a landline) and then he used a wireless USB ethernet card to connect the tivo to the internet so he has no problems using it.

My question is can this be done with the DirecTV DVR? They don't mention it anywhere on their site but they do make a few comments about needing a landline for being able to use the DVR. So I'm curious if anyone has attempted this, how its worked out, and if there are any features you lose by connecting it through your internet versus the phone line. If it helps, I have Standalone DSL so while my internet comes through a phone line, I don't have a landline.

Any help/advice is much appreciated

-J-

You could use a null modem cable and hook it to the serial port on the back of the Tivo and hook the other end to a computer and use it to do the dialing for you. Search the Tivocommunity for instructions on how to get it to work.

Do a search on ppp serial at the tivocommunity , the cable is easy to make.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts