Using Directv HD receiver on Standard Def TV

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Patsfan34

Original poster
Feb 24, 2009
NH
Yes, I am about to upgrade my Directv HD Receiver (H20-100) with a HD DVR receiver. I wanna move my existing HD receiver to another room to replace an older SD receiver. I may be getting another HDTV sometime soon. In the mean time I am gonna hook up the HD receiver to my standard def TV. My question is will I need to hook up the b-band converter seeing I am not gonna get the HD channels with my standard def tv? Thanks.

Yes. It will allow you to see the HD channels on the SD set. Just use the screen format options to setup the box to see the HD channels the way you prefer. (cropped, stretched, etc.). It will also let you see HD only channels (HDnet, etc.) on the SD set. I have 2 SD sets setup with HD boxes until I get HD sets for those rooms.

While you don't HAVE to do it, it will allow you to see the HD only and HD local channels on the SD sets.

You will have a couple of options. You can either hook up the B-Bands and watch the HD channels on a SDTV, or you can leave them off and either set your satellite setup to only detect the 101/110/119 or set it for the correct dish and filter out the HD stations through your favorites list. I'd recommend the first option as it will just be a matter of plug and go when you get the newer HDTV, though.

You will have a couple of options. You can either hook up the B-Bands and watch the HD channels on a SDTV, or you can leave them off and either set your satellite setup to only detect the 101/110/119 or set it for the correct dish and filter out the HD stations through your favorites list. I'd recommend the first option as it will just be a matter of plug and go when you get the newer HDTV, though.

No they have been changing the software. If you are supposed to have an HD system the receiver knows and will not go past the setup screen if it does not have the B-bands installed.

Ok. One more stupid question. I wanna hook the HD receiver to my Standard Def tv via component video. I also wanna hook it up to my surround sound receiver however the HD receiver only has 1 component hookup on it so I can only go from my HD receiver to TV and not from HD receiver to surround sound receiver. That shouldnt matter right? I should be able to hookup the HD receiver to tv component. Then hookup the HD receiver digital optical to my surround receiver for audio. I believe I also need to hook up analog because most of the channels dont have digital audio? I may be wrong. Let me know. Thanks.

No they have been changing the software. If you are supposed to have an HD system the receiver knows and will not go past the setup screen if it does not have the B-bands installed.

True. I've been doing mostly service work lately, so I haven't become too fluent with the new setup screen, lol.

As for the hookups to the TV, you should be able to connect to all of the sources you plan on utilizing. There should be 2 composite outputs (Y/W/R cables, pretty sure that's the name) and you will have one extra set available if you use the component to hook up to your SDTV (provided its a model that supports the R/G/B).

I know this may be slightly off-topic:

I hooked up an H21-200 to our older 36" 4/3 ratio CRT Panasonic in our master bedroom, I used a good quality S-video cable and component audio. I have the HD channels set for letterbox viewing.

For some reason the HD channels w/ SD duplicates look better than the SD duplicates....... I know it shouldn't make a difference on this TV, but it does.

We hardly notice the letterbox setting for the HD channels. We ended up setting the IRD to not show the SD duplicate channels at all.

Someday we'll get a 38" or 42" flatscreen :D, but for now the set-up works great.

I know this may be slightly off-topic:

I hooked up an H21-200 to our older 36" 4/3 ratio CRT Panasonic in our master bedroom, I used a good quality S-video cable and component audio. I have the HD channels set for letterbox viewing.

For some reason the HD channels w/ SD duplicates look better than the SD duplicates....... I know it shouldn't make a difference on this TV, but it does.

We hardly notice the letterbox setting for the HD channels. We ended up setting the IRD to not show the SD duplicate channels at all.

Someday we'll get a 38" or 42" flatscreen :D, but for now the set-up works great.

It should make a difference since the SD MPEG2 channel have been downrezed and over compressed vs. their HD counterparts.

Status
Please reply by conversation.