Using Dish 500 for Ku linear FTA

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Delta_charlie and phlatwound, those are clever setups and delta's swivel AZ adjust' is pretty nifty. I've experimented quite a bit with small dish linear feeds and I found the sweet spot to be further away from the reflector, both of your's show they are closer F/D than what I've determined in my testings.

How did you both determine the F/D?

Hi McGuyver and the group, first I used the string method to match the location the original Dish LNB used. I think the first example I saw of the string method was posted by Mikelib. It is simply a string taped to the top and bottom of the dish pulled tight and then a magic marker is used to mark the center of the original LNB. Then the new LNB is mounted and adjusted to the same spot. I'm sure there could be some difference in the throat of the new and old LNB so after I had the little dish peaked on a strong TP I moved the LNB in and out with the C bracket screws loose to find the last little bit of gain. It was really quite easy to do provided you have access to the original yoke and LNB. If you don't then it would have to be calculated. Hope this helps, DC

Here is the finished LNBF holder. Now to put the dish up. :)

Hi Tvropro and the group, I love the bracket you made. Looks like I could make one using just a aluminium channel, drill, hole saw and hack saw. It could be adapted to mount one of those old Direct TV circler LNBs (The one with the skinny neck) on a FTA dish. Take care, DC

Hoping to see what happens today. Waiting for it to warm up a bit. May try 72 west first and see how that fairs.

Couldn't raise a blip on 72 or 97 so I'm shelving the project for now. Think the reflector is too small and I'm not spending days to get very low quality. On my 84cm I would have had it targeted in 5 minutes. That pie plate wouldn't show squat and I tried every trick I know. Oh well time to scronge a bigger dish. I should listen to myself "Bigger is always Better" :D

Don't feel bad, I've tried to hit the 72W on a Dish 500 and couldn't either but I could hit the 74W in 2 minutes with good quality signal and there's not much diff in signal strength between the two of them where I'm at so I ended up using my good 'ol Primestar dish and get 89% signal quality with the stock LNBF. There's something about 72W... go figure :confused:

you should be able to get the NBC feeds mux on 72 if properly skewed...they're booming today on the 30"

you should be able to get the NBC feeds mux on 72 if properly skewed...they're booming today on the 30"

I tried skewing the dish and skewing the LNBF. Maybe there was something wrong with the bracket my friend made and it wasn't focusing right. I should have been able to hit those bird easy if I had a bigger reflector. Who knows maybe some other day I'll try something else. No biggie.

Don't feel bad, I've tried to hit the 72W on a Dish 500 and couldn't either but I could hit the 74W in 2 minutes with good quality signal and there's not much diff in signal strength between the two of them where I'm at so I ended up using my good 'ol Primestar dish and get 89% signal quality with the stock LNBF. There's something about 72W... go figure :confused:

Ya I hear you. I tried every trick I know and nothing, it's just the nature of the beast. Maybe some other bird next door was knocking it out at my location. There must be a reason I use a 12 foot dish for c band... Because it works :D Im not too much the mini bud or mini LSD type of guy I guess ;)

Hi Tvropro and the group, sorry to read you could not find 72W, I'm down in the South East near Orlando and I could never lock that satellite. It is simply not strong enough down here. I have found I loose about 30 points of signal Q when I use the little dish over my 80 CM so I need over 60 percent on the 80 CM dish to have a chance on locking a TP on the little dish. 72W only runs about 50 to 55 percent for me on the 80 CM. Maybe if you get some nice weather and want to try again try 3ABN on 101 W. It has the strongest TP I have run across. There are also some hot TPs on Hispasat that might be worth trying. Take care, DC

Skewing of lnbf'

Skewing is used for one of two reasons. Two or more lnbfs on the same dish to compensate for the angle of the sats. Circular polarized signals, e.g. d*h or d*tv, do not require skewing when looking at only ONE satellite. Second, when receiving signals that are linear, e.g. vertical or horizontal, to compensate for the tilt in the signal itself. Skewing can be addressed in one of two ways, rotating the dish itself, or by rotating the lnbf in its mount for those vertical or hortizontal signals. Hope this helps...................EL_Viejo

72W is a spot beam.

72W is conus (whole US)....now the footprint may be bad near Florida but it should be fine in the midwest. When you get near the coasts sometimes a bigger dish is needed but 72W works fine with a 30" dish here in MN

There may be too much adjacent satellite interference for a pizza plate by me. That may be why I couldn't get a lock. On my other (real ku FSS) dishes it would have been a piece of cake. Even if I could get a lock on the pie plate I can see right now it wouldn't be reliable. Bigger is always better, I should know that but had to try :)

Pro, they make great mini=dishes for ONN or Pentagon Channel here at my latitude. I tried back in the fall for 72W with my 20" piazza dish (not pizza) and I never could get a sign out of it either. I think that satellite has some problems because a couple of years ago I did pick up those nbc channels off that sat with it. Or maybe its my one huge walnut growing more branches..

Pro, they make great mini=dishes for ONN or Pentagon Channel here at my latitude. I tried back in the fall for 72W with my 20" piazza dish (not pizza) and I never could get a sign out of it either. I think that satellite has some problems because a couple of years ago I did pick up those nbc channels off that sat with it. Or maybe its my one huge walnut growing more branches..

I've pointed pizza plates at direct and dish birds with no problems. I also have pointed ku dishes at FSS ku and they both seem pretty easy to find the bird. I played with this thing a good 4 hours looking for the bird and not a hint. I finally said it's just too weak. Maybe I can find a larger direct tv dish or something tossed around here sometime and try again.

Dish 500 will work well on 95w and 125w. On 125w if peaked carefully it should pickup most of the time PBS Create, World and Montana. Create and World are strong. For Montana adjust the dish to 125.5w. Galaxy 28 at 89w is doable but it has to be peaked very carefully for ABC and the signal will drop out frequently. I think 125w is your best bet with a dish of this size.

Yesterday here in South New Jersey, I used my Dish 500 setup for the first time this year and locked in the NBC mux and two feeds. The NBC mux was coming in at 49Q on my Fortec Dynamic but the only TV station was Channel 4 with the WEATHER CHANNEL. The mux use to carry CNBC and MSNBC, but they were not there. I did not check if they were there today. I like the mux for background noise when I'm working around the garage.

The NBC mux still broadcasts on all 4 channels but not all day, you'll find them in the early morning hours then they go off air. You'll sometimes get 2 channels throughout the day and those two channels may vary.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)